Advanced key

Wxm

Reaction score
Anyone got this? Thinking of picking it as an option but not keen on the location of the start button.

I have it and don't find the location of the button an issue.
I personally love the feature but some would say it increases the chance of your car being stolen.

Reactions: Wxm
I've got it on my golf gti and really like the features it brings , just on the golf it's to the right of the centre console/gear lever

It comes standard here in Canada. Had it on my previous BMW, but the start button on the console takes time to get used to, I keep reaching for the dash location where the button was on my old BMW.

Reactions: Wxm
I've got it, and wouldn't be without it.

Had Audi actually updated the key and made it more like the B8 key (that slots into the dash) then I wouldn't have minded the "normal" key, but it felt so antiquated putting something dangling into the steering column.

Reactions: James.B8 and Wxm
I've got the Advanced Key and wouldn't be without it. The start button location is okay, thought at first it might be an issue but its just instinct now to just go for the button.

Yep, love the advanced key. Really convenient, and useful when your hands are a bit full. Don't have a problem with the start button myself - seems to be the ideal place for it really!

It's a great option, I would definitely include on my next car and find it annoying when driving the wife's car fishing the keys out of my pocket!

No issue with starter button location, although one on the steering wheel would be awesome

Had it on my previous Audi & it's the only thing I miss about that car... & no it wasn't stolen at any point of my ownership either (just to disappoint the tinfoil hat wearers!!).

Cool feature, makes your car easy to steal.

No more than with a key imo. Most of the 'electronic' thefts come from people scanning for the frequency from the key to the car - thi can happen with or without advanced key. I've said before, I had a Focus ST with keyless for 5 years and never once had a issue and the ST was at one point, one of the most stolen cars in the UK.

I love advanced key, it's very easy and simple. If you've got your hands full and need to unlock the car, you can just leave the keys in your pocket.

Reactions: cuke2u
No more than with a key imo. Most of the 'electronic' thefts come from people scanning for the frequency from the key to the car - thi can happen with or without advanced key. I've said before, I had a Focus ST with keyless for 5 years and never once had a issue and the ST was at one point, one of the most stolen cars in the UK.

I love advanced key, it's very easy and simple. If you've got your hands full and need to unlock the car, you can just leave the keys in your pocket.

I'd love to have Advanced Key, it's just one of the gadgets that in the grand scheme of things you don't need.

But, there does seem to be a pattern emerging with how frequently and easily they are stolen, needing a physically cut key at this stage is safer I think. At some point, if they offload protection into the cars then advanced key could very well be safer.. Audi need to remove the ability to just programme a new key. How often is it that we get replacement keys? Probably only 99.5% of cars will ever get a replacement key and it would be good therefore if Audi required a component to be changed on the car to match a new set of keys buried inside the car IMO and this should make it safer. Being able to plug in a VCDS enabled laptop is just too easy.

Reactions: Mark_86
I'd love to have Advanced Key, it's just one of the gadgets that in the grand scheme of things you don't need.
You could say that about almost anything, hill hold assist for instance. :tonguewink:

The media would have you believe that car thieves are going out equipped like an episode of Mission Impossible & hacking keys left,right & centre when in fact if you look at it a bit deeper it's more likely that your keys will be physically stolen by a mouth breathing knuckle dragger during a household break in or during a car jacking rather than than by a pseudo Ethan Hunt / Jim Phelps. Just look back through the multiple S3 theft threads on here, there's not one that I can recall off of the top of my head that involves key hacking.

Reactions: Jassyo06, Mark_86, AudiNutta and 1 other person
You could say that about almost anything, hill hold assist for instance. :tonguewink:

The media would have you believe that car thieves are going out equipped like an episode of Mission Impossible & hacking keys left,right & centre when in fact if you look at it a bit deeper it's more likely that your keys will be physically stolen by a mouth breathing knuckle dragger during a household break in or during a car jacking rather than than by a pseudo Ethan Hunt / Jim Phelps. Just look back through the multiple S3 theft threads on here, there's not one that I can recall off of the top of my head that involves key hacking.

That's very true, it's the Focus RS' that are stolen by it mainly and the only cars I've heard stolen like it are RS4's.

Love it....no fumbling for keys, ease of unlocking/locking on all doors including the boot, programming for pano-roof, door windows opening and closing, and the biggie you can not lock your car from the outside with the keys left in the car or the boot/trunk.

Last edited:
Reactions: richinsoton and azibux1
Love it....no fumbling for keys, ease of unlocking/locking on all doors including the boot, programming for pano-roof, door windows opening and closing, and the biggie you can not lock your car from the outside with the keys left in the car or the boot/trunk.
It will auto lock them in after an hour though, I made the mistake of shutting mine in there at a friends without realising. Partner had to drive 50 miles with the spare, oops

Reactions: Pook, AudiNutta and Tom.H
It will auto lock them in after an hour though, I made the mistake of shutting mine in there at a friends without realising. Partner had to drive 50 miles with the spare, oops
The car auto locks after an hour? Wasn't aware of this.. got any more info please? I thought it was only the single auto lock which was about 2 minutes in after unlocking (providing you haven't opened any doors)?

The car auto locks after an hour? Wasn't aware of this.. got any more info please? I thought it was only the single auto lock which was about 2 minutes in after unlocking (providing you haven't opened any doors)?
I had my advanced key in my kit bag, chucked it in the boot and left it in there unlocked, went for a run, hour later the car had locked itself with the key in the boot. Googled at the time and found somewhere about the hour timer.

Tried locking the key in the boot on purpose before and it won't do that, it'll flash the indicator when trying to force it.

I had my advanced key in my kit bag, chucked it in the boot and left it in there unlocked, went for a run, hour later the car had locked itself with the key in the boot. Googled at the time and found somewhere about the hour timer.

Tried locking the key in the boot on purpose before and it won't do that, it'll flash the indicator when trying to force it.

You left your car key in an unlocked car?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: AudiNutta

Yeah very odd indeed... As you say that normally isn't possible. I have also purposely put my key in the boot (saloon) and shut the boot and it automatically pops it back open almost instantly and flashes the lights

Remember as well the start/stop button position is designed for the L hand drive cars.

But at least the audio controls are setup for RHD ;)

Reactions: Jassyo06

Just a shame the system isn't fast enough to recognise/unlock as you pull the handle - I always end up having to pull twice.... I know your supposed to wait, but its hardly practical.

IIRC the new systems are faster though.

Anyone got this? Thinking of picking it as an option but not keen on the location of the start button.

I ordered this, but only because I wanted push-button start. No way I want a car with a bladed turn to start key!!!!!!!!!!!

IMO, the rest of the "features" annoy more than help.......

- I had to have the "chirp" on lock/unlock activated, otherwise I couldn't hear and be sure the car had locked, if there was background noise.

- No sensors on rear doors, meaning you have to grab a front.

- Can't have the key in your pocket when washing the car, as it continually locks/unlocks when water hits the handles.

I could go on......

I like Advanced Key but it took a bit of getting used to. I do find I forget which jacket or coat the key is actually in. I enjoy using the start button in a childish kind of way. I don't like the fact that the actual key is bulky and looks old-fashioned and dull.

I ordered this, but only because I wanted push-button start. No way I want a car with a bladed turn to start key!!!!!!!!!!!

IMO, the rest of the "features" annoy more than help.......

- I had to have the "chirp" on lock/unlock activated, otherwise I couldn't hear and be sure the car had locked, if there was background noise.

- No sensors on rear doors, meaning you have to grab a front.

- Can't have the key in your pocket when washing the car, as it continually locks/unlocks when water hits the handles.

I could go on......
Do you not have folding mirrors, that is my cue that it has locked? Feel your pain when washing the car though, I have to leave it in the house.

Reactions: xBox
Do you not have folding mirrors, that is my cue that it has locked? Feel your pain when washing the car though, I have to leave it in the house.

I do - where is the MMI setting for lock/fold Pook?

I do - where is the MMI setting for lock/fold Pook?
From memory I believe it is under car settings --> locking and unlocking (or similar)

Thank you!

Another pet hate I had was the mirror fold switch not working unless the ignition was on, so now they just always fold :footy:

I usually leave my keys in the front armrest when I'm washing it, saves all that hassle with setting the locks off etc

Reactions: Flying Scotsman
Really handy when you have 2 drivers. Bmw one is better as it does climate, radio etc.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Thank you!

Another pet hate I had was the mirror fold switch not working unless the ignition was on, so now they just always fold :footy:
Glad to be of service :)

I usually leave my keys in the front armrest when I'm washing it, saves all that hassle with setting the locks off etc
I don't think I'd do that incase somebody was on the prowl, I'm always in and out of my house and garage when doing a wash so couldn't leave it in attended with keys in.

I have ordered this on my s3, mainly for start button. Previous post mentioned the key was dull, old fashioned.. is the actual key different looking to standard key? Can't see any photos anywhere?