Advanced key issues - open circuit/short circuit to B+

Jeebsy

Reaction score
I've got a 2007 A5 - when I got it the advanced key wasn't working. The boot would open when the car was locked but the doors wouldn't respond. I had error codes for both handles and 03287 - exterior door handle touch sensors, open circuit/short circuit to B+

I replaced the sensors but still have the 03287 - exterior door handle touch sensors, open circuit/short circuit to B+ fault code. If I clear the code, approach the car and put my hand on the handle to open it you can hear the lock doing something and the lights flash, but it's pretty random if it'll open, and after a while it stops working again.

Does anyone know what might be causing the fault code?

Took the sensors back out and cleaned them with contact cleaner, had no error code for a bit after this but it seemed to stop working again after trying the passenger side - there's an exposed wire there - reckon it could be this?

IMG_20181228_155720 by wjheenan, on Flickr

Not sure that is your issue, Looks like somebody may have knicked the insulation to test for conditions on the wire. Maybe somebody else has been faulting it. What kind of state is the battery in ?. When it gets low all kind of things start happening wite these systems as the Body control module will start turning stuff off to conserve power.
The sensors appear to have seperate earths and connect directly to the CCM
Upload 2018 12 28 22 19 20

That's really helpful, thanks.

I reckon the battery is OK - doesn't seem to be any other issues related to low battery, and didn't get a low battery warning through OBDeleven which I think checks that out.

Might disconnect the door pin connector and do a quick sense check but this is probably a bit beyond my skillset - might just have to bite the bullet and take it to a pro.