1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dismiss Notice

Advance Key - Battery Life

coolguy Jul 30, 2014

1. coolguy

coolguy Member

Hi all, for those who have the advance key/keyless entry, how long has the battery lasted in your key-fob or still is going?

It's just that today I got a sudden ping from the dashboard to say the battery is low in my key-fob and I need to change it. I've only had the car since Sept 2013 and that's not even a year yet?

Should I be asking my dealer to replace the battery or is this about the right time range for the battery?

Coolguy :happy:

2. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

3. andywil13

andywil13 Active Member

My car is same age, not got any warnings myself

4. RobbieWebs

RobbieWebs Well-Known Member

Maybe a dodgy battery mate, pop into your dealer I'm sure they will fit a battery for free

5. TreborA4

TreborA4 Active Member

Had my A3 with Advanced key since 28.3.13 and have not had any battery warning!

6. cemerson

cemerson Well-Known Member

Nothing yet... though it's easy enough to replace by the looks of things.

7. coolguy

coolguy Member

Trip down to the dealers then...

RobbieWebs likes this.
  8. andywil13

andywil13 Active Member

Car is 13 months and I just got a battery replacement warning on the dash!

9. cemerson

People are suggesting going to the dealers for this? Seriously? Just go out and buy a battery FFS! Batteries running out of power is a thing that happens, you can't say it was unexpected!

JohnM100 likes this.
  10. veeeight

veeeight I am a very pretty girl VCDS Map User

Advanced Key remote fobs probably/most likely consume more power than conventional key fobs, so more frequent battery replacement required?

:p

11. cemerson

Perhaps. Mine is still going fine at the moment, but I'm not worried about spending a few pence on a new battery when the time comes!

12. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

13. cuke2u

cuke2u Well-Known Member

My mk3 focus, also keyless never stolen ;-), still had its original battery after two and half years. Not read anything that suggests a lower battery life with this particular key and I am not sure that it does much different from that of a normal key....

14. dts439

dts439 Active Member

Both the fobs on our keyless A1 went after 3 1/2 years.

Battery changeover is straightforward and worked fine.

15. cuke2u

cuke2u Well-Known Member

I also had keyless on my 2008 mk4 Mondeo and it was still on its original battery after three and half years. Battery life is very dependent upon usage or maybe audi are using inferior quality ones...

16. the_lecht_rocks

the_lecht_rocks Well-Known Member

My S3's keyless battery lasted 6 months. Easy replacement. Car only gets used a few times a week too.

17. cuke2u

cuke2u Well-Known Member

Faulty battery then, mine still going after ten months...

18. Mobie

Mobie New Member

I got a battery warning message 8 months after I had the car from new in March 14. Went to the dealer and he put it on a meter and it showed almost full power left on the battery. Put a new battery in for £3. Might be a fault with the key system so keeping an eye on it.

19. GhostGamer

GhostGamer New Member

My battery has just gone tonight after about 14 months. My first thought when it beeped was that it was the washer bottle needing topping up!

20. cemerson

I've got my first warning today about the key battery change! Again after 14 months

21. cemerson

Though it's a cheap coin battery so I'm not too bothered. At least it's not a BMW where on some models you have to cut the key open to replace the battery, and then glue it back together again afterwards!

22. veeeight

veeeight I am a very pretty girl VCDS Map User

That's because you don't normally expect the car to still be around before you have to change the battery :p

(I know, cheap joke ;) )

23. pedro61163

pedro61163 Active Member

Mines a standard key and bleeped today on screen and said please change key battery