Ads3 thread

That's bad luck breaking the tensioner, as you say I would have thought the plastic tensioner would break first. I fitted an APG inlet cam to mine a few weeks ago and it's definitely perked up the top end above 6500 rpm it pulls stronger. I have been using virtual dyno to tweak the mapping and straight away there was a 30-40 bhp increase on the top end over anything I ran before the cam. So a very worthwhile mod on my car.
That's an amazing amount of hp to gain from just adding the inlet cam, from that I'm guessing you have a bt build.
I'm only running a k04 hybrid so I wont see anywhere near that kind of gain but I'm interested to see how it performs.

Yes it's a G25-660 , made 460bhp on Bills dyno without the cam . The extra duration and lift seems to help power at the top end of the rev range.

Reactions: ADs3
Just had the windscreen replaced after driving around for the best part of three months with a crack so big Kim Kardashian would be jealous......now just need the replacement ballast to turn up so I can actually drive at night lol

Installed a new set of Bi xenon's a few weeks back......H1 mini projectors & 5000k xenons seems to of done the trick with light output. Front end looks fresher, Still to have the lights levelled properly but it's passable for me atm.
20200312 143659
20200312 202906 resized
20200312 200821 resized
20200312 200825 resized

Had bit of a braking issue as well recently, some serious brake juddering going on. Had the m-tec discs inspected & skimmed 1.1mm from them to get them back in line......in no time they had me reenacting a fighter pilot trying to pull a plane out of a dive scene in Hollywood movie they were that bad! Not knowing what had caused them to be so bad I took a chance & fitted a pair of Brembo discs & so far so good no issues.

Also whilst the bumper was off to fit the new headlights I took the time to sort out the panel gap issue I was having on the o/s/f wheel arch where the bumper hooks over & into the wheel arch liner. The little tab that hooks over had split & the seam down the inside of the bumper was coming away on both sides, if you've seen this seam it's a weak point in my opinion as theres no real meat to it.
I didn't get any pics as I just got stuck in but I've plastic welded along the whole seam on both sides of the bumper, it's now stronger than when it left the factory & for the 1st time since owning the car I have a decent panel gap.
20200312 141348 resized

Reactions: superkarl
Looking really good mate. One of the best mods I did was change the headlights! Since I changed my suspension they’ve been pointing down. Need to have a look see what my auto headlight adjusters are doing. I had a garage for the springs......

Very clean car

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's definitely worth while, I had a ballast burn out & bought a 2nd hand one to replace it but then decided to just entirely replace the lot as the originals arent the best to start with.

Hopefully they've not busted the arm for the auto leveling, not the worst fix though if that's case

Guess what I'll be doing over the weekend
20200317 162559 resized

Reactions: hydro s3, desertstorm and S3AMJ
Yassssssss! Nice one, welcome to the club mate.

Oh I hope they’ve not broken an arm as well! I usually try and work on my car but with not having the time and haven’t used this garage before...... I’m sure they wouldn’t have told me if they had.

It's hard to find a garage you can trust mate especially the 1st time you use them, the industry has gotten such a bad name!.......

Managed to get the ignitron installed.....not being the most computer savvy person I had bit of a faff installing the correct USB drivers but once that was sorted it started up 1st turn & drove pretty well.
20200320 145805 resized

Reactions: hydro s3 and S3AMJ
Well done mate, looking forward to seeing how you get on with it. You gonna map the car yourself?

Well done mate, looking forward to seeing how you get on with it. You gonna map the car yourself?

Had planned to try & learn a basic level of understanding so I could give it a go but tbh I dont feel confident enough to attempt it as it could be a costly error!

Reactions: S3AMJ
Only had the catcams pulley 6 months & the braided fuel pipe possibly 3 months so thought I'd pull my finger out and get that bit closer to completion.......completion! who am I kidding lol
20200401 161120 resized

Reactions: hydro s3 and Asim1
Only had the catcams pulley 6 months & the braided fuel pipe possibly 3 months so thought I'd pull my finger out and get that bit closer to completion.......completion! who am I kidding lolView attachment 200201
Where did you get the braided fuel pipes as I want to change mine..your ones look really good

Where did you get the braided fuel pipes as I want to change mine..your ones look really good
Here you go, ebay item numbers
223085893818...........x4
401376618696...........x1mtr

Reactions: Asim1
Been a busy little squirrel (anyone else watch Friday night dinner? Lovely bit of squirrel) with my 3D printer making bits n pieces some useful some not......something I designed & made up is a pre turbo wmi nozzle holder that works with the 80mm alloy adapter & tip, using a compression fitting for safety reasons as push fit has the potential to fail.
20200213 211049 resized1
20200213 212147 resized
20200213 211954 resized
20200308 142126 resized

20200308 142842 resized

After speaking to someone in the US that designs & installs wmi systems for a living it's best to nail the wmi spray directly at the compressor nut & 10mm from it which was all incorporated in the design, also advised to design a cone to help air flow hitting the compression fittings face.....

A while back I tapped the volute of my turbo to play around with volute injection as well, it worked very well with only a small volume being injected to drop iat temps & also has potential to increase compressor profile same as pre turbo.

I've previously tapped the charge pipe & injected there also....it seems wmi is misunderstood & seems to be surrounded in myth. I've been told not to inject pre I/C as I'll get puddling in the I/C...I've tapped the I/C for a drain point to test for puddling........no puddling evident, it's very possible but only if injecting too large a volume.
Pre turbo erodes compressor blades.....not true, a cpl of very well respected guys in the US that have designed & installed hundreds of wmi systems have been doing this for yrs & have not experienced erosion of the compressor if done properly. Again it seems a case of a friend of a friend or my mate says it's no good it'll ruin your turbo hysteria.

I cant put the pre turbo & volute injection into full practice till I have the ecu map finished & can begin to do my own testing to see what works best for me.
I'll probably lean more to volute injection as the pre turbo set up is more involved with getting to & maintaining but I'll test it to see how it performs.

Attachments

• 20200408_182723_resized_1.jpg
    20200408_182723_resized_1.jpg
    438.5 KB · Views: 222
  • 20191104_123616_resized.jpg
    20191104_123616_resized.jpg
    634.2 KB · Views: 214
Reactions: Asim1 and S3AMJ
I’ve been talking to Bruce Morris at www.methanol-injection.co.uk very knowledgeable guy. Bill from Badger5 directed me to him a while back.

I’m planning to go direct port injection with 4x 0.75 nozzles. Remove my secondary nozzle which is just after my throttlebody and put that into my compressor housing.

Then get a pressure switch from him and connect that and the solenoid to my Ignitron ECU. Means I can do away with the AEM controller I currently have because the ECU will take full control and add in a few failsafes!

I am toying with the idea of changing my AET K04-380 for a G25-660 next year....

That said, Bruce seems to think with these changes to my Meth setup should yield a nice 20-30bhp!

Reactions: hydro s3
Annndddddd I've painted a heat shield i have in vht black crinkle
20200408 182711 resized 1
.....aannnndddddddddd I've painted the wing mirrors in gloss black today (pics to follow)

Last edited:
Reactions: S3AMJ
I’ve been talking to Bruce Morris at www.methanol-injection.co.uk very knowledgeable guy. Bill from Badger5 directed me to him a while back.

I’m planning to go direct port injection with 4x 0.75 nozzles. Remove my secondary nozzle which is just after my throttlebody and put that into my compressor housing.

Then get a pressure switch from him and connect that and the solenoid to my Ignitron ECU. Means I can do away with the AEM controller I currently have because the ECU will take full control and add in a few failsafes!

I am toying with the idea of changing my AET K04-380 for a G25-660 next year....

That said, Bruce seems to think with these changes to my Meth setup should yield a nice 20-30bhp!

Yep I've thought about going down the 550/660 route & getting a solid 450+ without having to p#ss about with hybrids & wmi to push it to the limit & still not be anywhere near what a g25 can produce outta the box. If you've the funds available just do it lol.

You shouldn't need a pressure switch if your controlling it with ignitron, not to my understanding & planning anyway.
I might be wrong but it's got aux capabilities to handle such things as a solenoid....best call Bill on that one mate before potentially buying a pressure switch.

I'm only looking to better iat & compressor efficiency from volute injection, a small octane boost/in cylinder cooling from TB nozzle....I moved the iat sensor to pre Tb so I dont get false readings from the post TB saturating it.

Yep I've thought about going down the 550/660 route & getting a solid 450+ without having to p#ss about with hybrids & wmi to push it to the limit & still not be anywhere near what a g25 can produce outta the box. If you've the funds available just do it lol.

You shouldn't need a pressure switch if your controlling it with ignitron, not to my understanding & planning anyway.
I might be wrong but it's got aux capabilities to handle such things as a solenoid....best call Bill on that one mate before potentially buying a pressure switch.

I'm only looking to better iat & compressor efficiency from volute injection, a small octane boost/in cylinder cooling from TB nozzle....I moved the iat sensor to pre Tb so I dont get false readings from the post TB saturating it.

I was hoping to get the handling and gearbox sorted this year.... then go g25-660 next year. All being well of course.

From what Bruce was telling me, having the pressure switch wired into the ECU will give it the extra info it needs to implement a failsafe. Pressure drop or none at all and then it should drop out of the map with meth to a map without, protecting the engine. The Solenoid will be controlled by the ECU when it opens and closes from what I gather.

Other things the ECU can do of course is activate meth in the right conditions. So if the engine isn’t at working temperature or if atmosphere temps are below a certain C. Where timing is already being pulled.

He was referring to the Link ECU he uses on his skyline. I’m sure Ignitron can do all these things though.

I was hoping to get the handling and gearbox sorted this year.... then go g25-660 next year. All being well of course.

From what Bruce was telling me, having the pressure switch wired into the ECU will give it the extra info it needs to implement a failsafe. Pressure drop or none at all and then it should drop out of the map with meth to a map without, protecting the engine. The Solenoid will be controlled by the ECU when it opens and closes from what I gather.

Other things the ECU can do of course is activate meth in the right conditions. So if the engine isn’t at working temperature or if atmosphere temps are below a certain C. Where timing is already being pulled.

He was referring to the Link ECU he uses on his skyline. I’m sure Ignitron can do all these things though.

Right ok I'm with you now, I read that as the pressure switch was gonna be used to activate the solenoid & then from there into the ecu.......I'm interested to know how the pressure switch will be incorporated into the ecu as electrics & there workings really isn't my thing & confuses me pretty easily tbh.

I had just thought of using knock detection as a means of a fail safe but if I can use a pressure switch that I already have as another fail safe then I'd like to learn how to use that in the system as well bud:icon thumright:

You was looking to do some track days wasnt you? I want to get a cpl under my belt to see how I like it and Brands is only 20 mins from where I live now so I've really no excuses lol.
It'd be good if we could get a few of us from asn to actually meet up & have a day of it on track:racer:

Right ok I'm with you now, I read that as the pressure switch was gonna be used to activate the solenoid & then from there into the ecu.......I'm interested to know how the pressure switch will be incorporated into the ecu as electrics & there workings really isn't my thing & confuses me pretty easily tbh.

I had just thought of using knock detection as a means of a fail safe but if I can use a pressure switch that I already have as another fail safe then I'd like to learn how to use that in the system as well bud:icon thumright:

You was looking to do some track days wasnt you? I want to get a cpl under my belt to see how I like it and Brands is only 20 mins from where I live now so I've really no excuses lol.
It'd be good if we could get a few of us from asn to actually meet up & have a day of it on track:racer:

Yeah the incorporation side of things I’m not 100% sure on. Bill will be able to help with that for sure. I can’t remember how many inputs and outputs the ECU can utilise.

It can certainly do a lot more than what my current set up is using though. I’ve already got a couple extra pressure switches fitted by Badger5 for extra failsafes, oil and something else, can’t remember.

Yeah a few track days was the plan this year, although with the way things are...... personally can’t see it happening. I drive past Silverstone everyday on the way to work at the moment. Brands Hatch is only about 50 miles from me so I’d be up for joining in on a ASN club track day

The other thing I’m gonna have to do is change my AEM 1.15Gal tank, especially when I’m running direct port meth. It’ll be rinsing through it in no time. I’m looking at changing my whole boot setup and putting a 4.2Gal race tank in..... keeping it “OEM” in appearances though is slowing gonna be a more difficult with all this “Race Car” stuff.

Yeah the incorporation side of things I’m not 100% sure on. Bill will be able to help with that for sure. I can’t remember how many inputs and outputs the ECU can utilise.

It can certainly do a lot more than what my current set up is using though. I’ve already got a couple extra pressure switches fitted by Badger5 for extra failsafes, oil and something else, can’t remember.

Yeah a few track days was the plan this year, although with the way things are...... personally can’t see it happening. I drive past Silverstone everyday on the way to work at the moment. Brands Hatch is only about 50 miles from me so I’d be up for joining in on a ASN club track day

The other thing I’m gonna have to do is change my AEM 1.15Gal tank, especially when I’m running direct port meth. It’ll be rinsing through it in no time. I’m looking at changing my whole boot setup and putting a 4.2Gal race tank in..... keeping it “OEM” in appearances though is slowing gonna be a more difficult with all this “Race Car” stuff.

Yep ignitron is definitely a clever piece of kit, it's kinda wasted on me atm as I haven't enough of a understanding of how to fully utilise it.....I made a balls up the other day with it but managed rectify it with some help from Balazs thank f#ck lmao

I'm hoping it could be possible later in the yr with some luck mate. It cant last for ever. Haha yeah I have wondered about the size of these standard tanks, it doesnt really last too long when you've got the foot down let alone if you was on track & direct port!.

I'll probably head up to B5 to have things set up properly on his dyno & hopefully get some knowledgeable input.
I had previously used devil developments as there closer to me than B5 and has a good rep but it's a real mare trying to get hold of them, had to resort to fb to get hold of the guy in the end......every time I've called B5 someone has answered the phone & Bill's gotten back to me through messenger when I've had enquires so I think it's just gonna be easier to enlist there services from now on....shame as I like to try & stick with who I start with

Yep ignitron is definitely a clever piece of kit, it's kinda wasted on me atm as I haven't enough of a understanding of how to fully utilise it.....I made a balls up the other day with it but managed rectify it with some help from Balazs thank f#ck lmao

I'm hoping it could be possible later in the yr with some luck mate. It cant last for ever. Haha yeah I have wondered about the size of these standard tanks, it doesnt really last too long when you've got the foot down let alone if you was on track & direct port!.

I'll probably head up to B5 to have things set up properly on his dyno & hopefully get some knowledgeable input.
I had previously used devil developments as there closer to me than B5 and has a good rep but it's a real mare trying to get hold of them, had to resort to fb to get hold of the guy in the end......every time I've called B5 someone has answered the phone & Bill's gotten back to me through messenger when I've had enquires so I think it's just gonna be easier to enlist there services from now on....shame as I like to try & stick with who I start with

I’ve heard and seen lots of good things about devil developments, but I’ll always go to Bill for advice and to take my car too for any work. I’m itching to get my car on his new dyno, they got an incredible set up there now!

Plus running Ignitron ECU it’s a no brainer taking it to Bills. I’m still not 100% confident tweaking anything on it at the moment, need a layman terms lesson on it all really to get my head around it..... infact, I wonder if we can get enough people together, Bill could do a in house lesson on it! I would definitely pay for that.

There are several videos around and a few documents on setting up and using Ignitron. If you are looking for a better way of running your WMI you can use a Solid State Relay and one of the spare outputs on Ignitron to make a fully adjustable proportional output using the MAP sensor value.
I don't use meth on mine just water to help keep the EGT down a little lower.
So the SSR is connected to the Fuel Rail pressure output which you can configure to goto any output not being used. I had disconnected the charcoal canister so configured the FRP reg output to goto those wires. This then controls the pump. Does nothing till the car is making 1.4 bar of boost.
I only ever use it on track, have a switch in line with the pump that turns it on and off.
https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threa...t-and-vented-wings.319422/page-8#post-3475582

fuel-rail-pressure-map-min-jpg.187741

There are several videos around and a few documents on setting up and using Ignitron. If you are looking for a better way of running your WMI you can use a Solid State Relay and one of the spare outputs on Ignitron to make a fully adjustable proportional output using the MAP sensor value.
I don't use meth on mine just water to help keep the EGT down a little lower.
So the SSR is connected to the Fuel Rail pressure output which you can configure to goto any output not being used. I had disconnected the charcoal canister so configured the FRP reg output to goto those wires. This then controls the pump. Does nothing till the car is making 1.4 bar of boost.
I only ever use it on track, have a switch in line with the pump that turns it on and off.
https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threa...t-and-vented-wings.319422/page-8#post-3475582

fuel-rail-pressure-map-min-jpg.187741
Excellent, i appreciate the input.....this is exactly what I needed. I know it can be done but it's how to go about it is where I fall down & how you've done it seems fairly straightforward (I hope) Do you use a solenoid to stop siphoning?

I wonder if we can get enough people together, Bill could do a in house lesson on it! I would definitely pay for that.
It's a good idea, whether he would though.........I'd hoped there would be some more follow up videos on YouTube as they was pretty well done & easy to follow but I'd imagine it's time allowing him

I do have a solenoid it's in the bottom left of this picture.
dsc_5153-jpg.187743

After I originally set up the water injection using the Fuel Rail pressure map I added an in line 044 Pump to sort out fuelling pressure and found that pimp very noisy at idle and low RPM, basically the pump cavitates because the supply pump in the tank can't keep up and the fuel pressure was too high at idle and low load. This was because the combined pumps were firing so much fuel at the regulator it couldn't cope. So I fitted a SSR on the 044 pump and used the Fuel rail pressure map for that.
Then used one of the auxiliary devices to set up the water injection on that map.
Upload 2020 4 12 12 5 21

Upload 2020 4 12 12 6 28

ECU105 is the turbocharger bypass solenoid output which I am not using .

This was because the combined pumps were firing so much fuel at the regulator it couldn't cope.
I see a fair few bt builds use a inline pump to aid fuel delivery, is seeing to much pressure at the regulator a common problem with this kinda set up & ppl just live with it.......does this impact on injector dead time?

I bet a lot of people don't even look at the fuel pressure and the ECU will cope with it upto a certain extent. The fuel trims won't be good though.

Only ever really see anyone talk about what injectors, pump & fpr they use.......

Unless something is noticed to be up with the tune it might be looked into I guess