Additional Security

rdj

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

With the delivery of my RS3 now 2 months away I'm starting to think about things I need to get set up ready. So I have been thinking about whether it would be wise to invest in security in addition to that from the factory.

I know that a number of you have had Autowatch Ghost fitted but I was wondering what else people have fitted for added piece of mind?

What alternatives have you gone for?

Cheers:thumbs up:

din-eat-man.jpg

Reactions: GW1 and rdj
I've just got the ghost and either disable keyless go (set alarm with key fob and touch the handle within 10s) or keep the key in a faraday pouch.
I like the ghost and have found it fairly unintrusive. Have used the valet mode when dropping it for service etc.
It doesn't drop insurance premiums (at least not for me), but nor would a tracker having discussed it when I renewed. Most trackers are also easily blocked, unless they have a dedicated vhf/RF transmit on top of mobile network GSM.
If someone takes the keys by force it gives me time to head in the opposite direction knowing the car can't be taken.
I also got gap insurance as you can have all the security in the world, but if someone wants it they'll find a way to take it - I don't mind making that hard for them but I wouldn't risk too much for an object that is replacable.
I don't have a steering wheel lock, but they have been discussed a fair bit on this forum - good visual deterrent I guess.
I also have mine (factory) debadged, I suppose those that are on the lookout for any performance car notice, but I'm sure it flies under the radar of some.
Oh - enjoy the car, 2 months to collection is an exciting time. Love mine. What spec have you optioned?

Reactions: rdj
Ghost is an absolute must, don’t think twice about it.

Tracker is also useful depending on whether you potentially want the car back if stolen. If ragged no, but if taken half a mile into a back lane to see if it has a tracker... yes I’d have it back.

Steering lock is a must for £40, Stoplock Pro. It fits perfectly diagonally in the passenger footwell and stays pretty solid.. doesn’t roll around. Certainly has a big effect, most in work take the p**s out of it on a new high tech car, but that’s good news for me.. even people who don’t have a clue notice it.

GAP insurance is an ABSOLUTE must on high value cars like these and go to ALA Gap, very competitive prices never take the £500 dealer option.

Then enjoy the car, all of the above will ensure you’ve done the best you reasonably can and will certainly make it difficult for them to take.

Personally, I'd just go for GAP insurance. Wouldn't want a car back thats been stolen and if a thief wants it bad enough, I'd rather make it easier for them with a family.

Reactions: Count Drunkula and rdj
I am in the same boat, wondering what to do (mine has already arrived) I think I will do other than GAP (which I never usually take). My reasoning, as thefts are getting more violent and house intrusions for keys etc. What happens if they get into your house nab the keys and the car won’t start?? I am of a view, let them take it as long as my family are safe, I don’t really care about a daft car.

Reactions: rdj and Matt2010
Since having my house broken into while we was asleep & the S3 stolen in March i have had my property fitted with 8 cameras & the house & garage a very loud & annoying alarm. I have now ordered my RS3, the day i pick it up it is going in to have 3 various security devices fitted ( i wont mention on here what the are), I cannot run the risk of having it at my house for even one night without at least making it very difficult for the B**tards. As has already been mentioned, if the want the car bad enough they will get it.

Reactions: DW81, rdj, Marshy and 1 other person
Ghost is an absolute must, don’t think twice about it.

Tracker is also useful depending on whether you potentially want the car back if stolen. If ragged no, but if taken half a mile into a back lane to see if it has a tracker... yes I’d have it back.

Steering lock is a must for £40, Stoplock Pro. It fits perfectly diagonally in the passenger footwell and stays pretty solid.. doesn’t roll around. Certainly has a big effect, most in work take the p**s out of it on a new high tech car, but that’s good news for me.. even people who don’t have a clue notice it.

GAP insurance is an ABSOLUTE must on high value cars like these and go to ALA Gap, very competitive prices never take the £500 dealer option.

Then enjoy the car, all of the above will ensure you’ve done the best you reasonably can and will certainly make it difficult for them to take.

+1 to this.

Reactions: rdj and AudiNutta
I am in the same boat, wondering what to do (mine has already arrived) I think I will do other than GAP (which I never usually take). My reasoning, as thefts are getting more violent and house intrusions for keys etc. What happens if they get into your house nab the keys and the car won’t start?? I am of a view, let them take it as long as my family are safe, I don’t really care about a daft car.

Totally agree if somebody got in I’d hand the keys and there is an emergency bunch, family have been instructed.

Top notch security on every corner and a blisteringly loud alarm that will wake up the 80+ houses around without a doubt. If they want to break in, set alarms off, get keys and battle their way to the car.. to find out it won’t start and still want to hang about to find out a code with all this going on they can have it. Make it so difficult it won’t be worth the risk for what will be a few grand car for them on the black market.

You’d be talking minutes of multiple alarms going off before you even get into the car and then it still won’t start as intended.

It takes me an age to get it out and I know the many locks and measures in place, they will have a really hard job and that’s all you can do. But there is a line that’s drawn to give it up, of course.

Definitely going to get GAP - I've had it on the last couple of cars. Don't think it'll be from the dealer though as their profit margin makes it horrendously expensive. Will have a look at the market before I decide.
Interesting that no-one who has replied so far has got anything other than the Ghost. Sounds like it's easy to use and effective then...

Reactions: AudiNutta
ALA gap insurance get a good rep and are decent price.
If you use code MSE25 you get 25% off too.

Reactions: rdj and AudiNutta
ALA gap insurance get a good rep and are decent price.
If you use code MSE25 you get 25% off too.

I got a great quote from these too. Issued the quote to Audi and couldn’t believe Audi matched it

I got a great quote from these too. Issued the quote to Audi and couldn’t believe Audi matched it

Thats good to know. Audi GAP seems really good by way too expensive. Will see if they match ALA for me as well

I’ve seen you tube and website for the pandora alarm. It looks pretty good but expensive. Not sure if it’s any good though.

Ghost also best security money can buy & ALA Gap. Paid £500 for 5 years with a rebate if you sell early so seemed a bargain

So is the difference between the Ghost and Blackjax 5 that the Ghost prevents the car from being taken but Blackjax lets them get a little way down the road before sounding the alarm and immobilising the car?

Yeah pretty much. Some people prefer the fact the car seems to be ok prior to cutting out.

I preferred the fact no one can move it in the first place.

Although Ghost sounds great I might be edging towards Blackjax 5. My reasoning is that if my house was to be broken into at night (although it is pretty secure) to steal my keys, the scum could drive the car a short distance before cutting out - probably still on the estate. This would prevent any possibility of them coming back in and threatening violence to get the code and give me time to call plod. For the record I don't see myself as someone who could put a fight/defence...I'm fairly small build and am realistic about this.

How does my reasoning sound, and am I overthinking it? I know they want to get the car and get away quick but if the car has been targeted then they're less likely to be prepared to leave empty handed...
Views?

If you have a garage, use it. Most thieves won't even know it's there.

Although Ghost sounds great I might be edging towards Blackjax 5. My reasoning is that if my house was to be broken into at night (although it is pretty secure) to steal my keys, the scum could drive the car a short distance before cutting out - probably still on the estate. This would prevent any possibility of them coming back in and threatening violence to get the code and give me time to call plod. For the record I don't see myself as someone who could put a fight/defence...I'm fairly small build and am realistic about this.

How does my reasoning sound, and am I overthinking it? I know they want to get the car and get away quick but if the car has been targeted then they're less likely to be prepared to leave empty handed...
Views?

Mate it will probably never get targeted. I worried so much before and shortly after buying mine. Had a few strange characters knocking on the door asking about it after delivery. Now nothing, never been targeted, nor followed nothing. AND I live on the edge of Bradford...

So my view is don’t overthink a situation that may never take place, BUT don’t just leave the keys on the side and let them have it thus Ghost or Blackjax comes into play.

Ultimately if your worried of the close proximity ghost may create then Blackjax is the product for you. Both are great systems but from having Ghost for over a year it’s been a perfect product, worked with no issues and the valet mode (when I remember to activate it) is great for when the cars in the garage.

Mate it will probably never get targeted. I worried so much before and shortly after buying mine. Had a few strange characters knocking on the door asking about it after delivery. Now nothing, never been targeted, nor followed nothing. AND I live on the edge of Bradford...

So my view is don’t overthink a situation that may never take place, BUT don’t just leave the keys on the side and let them have it thus Ghost or Blackjax comes into play.

Ultimately if your worried of the close proximity ghost may create then Blackjax is the product for you. Both are great systems but from having Ghost for over a year it’s been a perfect product, worked with no issues and the valet mode (when I remember to activate it) is great for when the cars in the garage.
People knocking on my door asking about my car would get me worried!