Additional Insurance Items

RK10

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Sorry if I’m posting in the wrong place.

Curious to know peoples thoughts on below

- Alloy Insurance (incl. Diamond Cut Alloys)
- Cosmetic Care Insurance (Scratch & Dent cover)
- Tyre Cover

If you have any of the above, who are you with or who would you recommend?

Obviously the stealer likes to try and upsell these services which are cheaper elsewhere!

Thanks

Hey guys,

- Tyre Cover

Obviously the stealer likes to try and upsell these services which are cheaper elsewhere!

Thanks
I have alloy and tyre cover via Swindon Audi (inchcape), it’s £5 a month, have used it twice now for punctures so well worth the money for me.

I have alloy and tyre cover via Swindon Audi (inchcape), it’s £5 a month, have used it twice now for punctures so well worth the money for me.
You’ve got that at a really good price! They’re trying to charge me £7 p/m for alloy cover and £9 p/m for tyre care!

Last edited:
Unless you are really careless near kerbs, park in tight supermarket car parks every day to get 'trollied' or 'doored' or make a habit of reversing into low posts, then I would put your money into a savings account each month, take your chances and use it if you need repairs. The occasional tyre, a wheel refub or a dent pulled out won't break the bank.

Voluntary insurance for small items is just commission into the salesman's pocket, paying an admin clerk and putting meat on someone else's table.

Reactions: GW1 and sgtvic
Unless you are really careless near kerbs, park in tight supermarket car parks every day to get 'trollied' or 'doored' or make a habit of reversing into low posts, then I would put your money into a savings account each month, take your chances and use it if you need repairs. The occasional tyre, a wheel refub or a dent pulled out won't break the bank.

Voluntary insurance for small items is just commission into the salesman's pocket, paying an admin clerk and putting meat on someone else's table.
Yeah, I see your point. Hardly ever happens to me but because I’m getting my new car on PCP, just thinking about keeping the car in the best knick for when it goes back.

Yeah, I see your point. Hardly ever happens to me but because I’m getting my new car on PCP, just thinking about keeping the car in the best knick for when it goes back.

Unless you actually damage anything further than around the rim of the allows. You will be charged about £36 per wheel when you return the car and be done with it (if that's what you intend to do). I'd rather take the risk! I nearly went and got my wheels that I thought were severely scraped refurbished at the cost of around £200+ but then found out how little they charge when I returned the car. The only reason I was charged the £36 for 1 wheel was because the damage was on one of the arms in the middle of the wheel, rather than around the edge. The scrapes around the edge can also be charged but only if they are a certain width.

Reactions: RK10
You’ve got that at a really good price! They’re trying to charge me £7 p/m for alloy cover and £9 p/m for tyre care!
£252 over 3 years would buy two or three wheel refurbs and £324 three/four new premium tyres.

Reactions: S32B, KenL, RK10 and 1 other person
Unless you actually damage anything further than around the rim of the allows. You will be charged about £36 per wheel when you return the car and be done with it (if that's what you intend to do). I'd rather take the risk! I nearly went and got my wheels that I thought were severely scraped refurbished at the cost of around £200+ but then found out how little they charge when I returned the car. The only reason I was charged the £36 for 1 wheel was because the damage was on one of the arms in the middle of the wheel, rather than around the edge. The scrapes around the edge can also be charged but only if they are a certain width.

Oh ****, no way?! I’ll scrap worrying about that then! Thanks for the heads up :)

£252 over 3 years would buy two or three wheel refurbs and £324 three/four new premium tyres.

Yeah when you put it like that, puts it all into perspective!! Thanks guys, appreciate it :thumbs up:
I’m a worrier so can’t help but think of the what ifs of I did / didn’t order something lol

Out of interest, who are you guys with for Gap Insurance?

I wouldn’t pay that, £5 was too good to refuse and the punctures have pretty much covered it already.

Oh ****, no way?! I’ll scrap worrying about that then! Thanks for the heads up :)

Yeah when you put it like that, puts it all into perspective!! Thanks guys, appreciate it :thumbs up:
I’m a worrier so can’t help but think of the what ifs of I did / didn’t order something lol

Out of interest, who are you guys with for Gap Insurance?
ALA. Find the cheapest quote and they will price match (or, at least, they did).

I've had 1 puncture (not fixable) and another puncture fixed for free at my local tyre fitter. I've not scraped an alloy ever. I'll pass.

One thing I would say it that the price an Audi dealer offers will be way over what you can get cover for.

GAPinsurance123
I got Combined Vehicle Replacement, up to £25k cover for four years, deferred for one year. So the car is covered to provide a brand new replacement until it is five years old. - Just done a quote, £30k car, now has unlimited claim ceiling £210.95

I've had 1 puncture (not fixable) and another puncture fixed for free at my local tyre fitter. I've not scraped an alloy ever. I'll pass.

One thing I would say it that the price an Audi dealer offers will be way over what you can get cover for.
I’m paying £60 a year, so £180 for 3 years cover which gives me 10 punctures/tyre replacements a year and 10 alloy repairs over the term. I’ve never had to use the alloy aspect but have already had a repair and tyre replacement, repair would have been £25 and new tyre around the £150 mark, the cover has already paid for itself. No excess for either

I opted for the cover as was driving circa 15k miles per annum, it was a no brainer really.

I can’t see you finding that cover for £5 a month now, the dealer must have discounted it.

Hey guys,

- Tyre Cover

Thanks

Suppose it depends on how you treat your car. My car is just over 3 years old, and never kerbed (touch wood) an alloy. So cover would have been waste of money.

I've had one puncture, when the car was a few months old, and needed a new tyre. So depending on the cost of cover, you'll be paying for a new tyre every year (or there abouts) so for me the cover would have been useful for the first year, then a waste of money thereafter, as I've not had a puncture since.

If you are a `just in case` man, get the cover for peace of mind. Otherwise, just stay away from kerbs, and hope you don't get any punctures that require a new tyre

I had the S3 for just over 2.5 years, I was unlucky and had 2 punctures in that time, £40 total repair bill. So £40/30 months £1.33 pm.