Additional Central Console Switch instead of HomeLink

Buck

Reaction score
Hi

I'm wanting to integrate my garage opener into my B9 A5.

I've looked at retrofitting Homelink but it looks a bigger job than I feel capable of so I thought I could add an extra switch to the central console set (example below would be the one circled with the steering wheel on)

Does anybody know if it is easy to remove a blank switch and install a new one.

Also, anybody got a part number and an idea of a price please?

Thanks
Screenshot 2019 04 27 at 194102

I think they are built into that module it's also can connected I think as I swapped that module, as did @Audidave69, when adding auto park

Reactions: Buck
I think they are built into that module it's also can connected I think as I swapped that module, as did @Audidave69, when adding auto park

Cheers - that makes it harder than I thought then!

Alternatively, I wonder if I could instal the hill hold switch and use that?

Any other suggestions gratefully received!

CC88D866 E7B9 4E09 9959 B36ED52F082B
Cheers - that makes it harder than I thought then!

Alternatively, I wonder if I could instal the hill hold switch and use that?

Any other suggestions gratefully received!
Yeah definitely will be a lot harder but not impossible to retrofit the button in the centre button section. I wouldn’t recommend it unless you’re good as this guy see picture above

Hill hold button would be a hell of a lot easier as it’s an independent switch. Not sure how you would get the garage door opener to work though

Last edited:
I’m certainly not as skilled as that!

Does anybody have the “exploded” diagram or instructions on how to dismantle the centre console please?

Thanks

Why not jsut get the parts and install homelink it its proper location (buttons on the roof module) or do something like this?

Why not jsut get the parts and install homelink it its proper location (buttons on the roof module) or do something like this?

I’ve thought of this but will need full new interior light surround plus switches plus honelink unit. When I priced it up it was v expensive.

I’ve been looking on eBay for one but not found one yet !

I think its only the switches and control module isn't it?

GarageDoorOpener

Reactions: Audidave69 and rasA4
And the wiring no doubt. The module fits in the rear bumper I believe

Oh how I would love to remove my rear bumper again to retrofit this, it’s not been of the car for a few weeks
:):):)

Reactions: Buck
And the wiring no doubt. The module fits in the rear bumper I believe

I’ve seen a retrofit where they put the transmitter module in the engine bay and also under the dashboard!

Reactions: rasA4
On my previous BMW, I had developed my own CAN reader that allowed me to catch a certain CAN BUS ID and then trigger a relay, as a switch. You could do something similar. You wont even need to install new buttons then. You simply program a know sequence of button presses. Also remember, that all the buttons in the car are momentary contacts, so if you need a switch to stay on (like your home light switch) then you need a latching relay.

Reactions: Buck and rasA4
Yes, which is why I asked if it was Grey interior, and then mentioned that there was a cable set on there TOO for 39 EURO?

Jeez, you try to get and get an inquisition.....

Not really, your link posted to the overhead console, not the cable set and it was bruce_miranda's post I was referring too not wishing to offend at all...

I too will apologise. I thought the link and price were for the same item

Reactions: cuke2u
Sorry, bit tired as the kids kept me up all night, i'm not usually so snappy :haudrauf:

Reactions: rasA4
Who needs buttons?

I’m installing this tomorrow :racer:

FECE0DE0-F478-4CA9-967B-201F1F42AC7C_zpstcvfnfx5.jpeg

“OK Google, open garage door”

No buttons, no taking the dash apart, no homelink......

Just Android Auto on my phone - hands free :rock:

Reactions: Buck, cuke2u and Audidave69
Cheers @DarkyUK - a bit too poor condition for the price - looks like its got a sunroof switch in it too.

So as an FYI, here is full voice integration of my garage door opener to Audi MMI. This is MIB2, without CarPlay or Android Auto installed in the MMI.

Google assistant is installed on my phone, along with the Meross App to control the door.

With the phone connected via BT to MMI, and running the latest version of Android (v9.0 - Pie) and with the Android Auto app installed on the phone, you get full voice control if you push and hold the steering wheel speak button while you issue the command (as opposed to push and release which activates Audi MMI voice control on MMI High) Notice that radio (or audio stream) is paused while you enter the command.

For the security conscious amongst you, there is a PIN code set up on the Meross App. which means only your Google Assistant can open the door.

No need for any Homelink hardware, cables or buttons. And way cooler :yahoo:

Total cost £44.

I was just looking at the A4 facelift pictures and I noticed a new button on the button panel below the AC, where my car has two blanks. Anyone know what that new button might be for?

I was just looking at the A4 facelift pictures and I noticed a new button on the button panel below the AC, where my car has two blanks. Anyone know what that new button might be for?

Have you a link to those pics?

Reactions: Audidave69
In the bottom picture it look like there is a button just to the right of the one to activate or deactivate the parking sensors

No idea, but it would have been nice if they had swapped the buttons round when they did the conversion to right hand drive