Added security??

S3 Johnny

The grass isn't always greener
Reaction score
Hi all.

After seeing loads of write ups about our lovely S3’s being one of the most stolen cars at the moment, I’ve been thinking I need to add something to mine.

What have you guys got on yours?? Ie trackers, extra alarms or steering wheel locks?

Thanks Johnny

To be honest I have been checking with insurance companies and car publication websites and the facts about the thefts of S3 really don’t add up. You are more likely to have a BMW stolen than the S3. I think the car security industry is trying to panic people into believing that their model or make of car is vulnerable. Still if you really feel the need for extra security why not consult the many thousands of companies who will be only to willing to recommend a product to suit your requirements. In the old days some on this site may remember that removing the Rotor arm from the distributor was an effective security measure

Last edited:
Reactions: richinsoton and sve170
Which bmw are you talking about?
If my memory serves me right it was the BMW X5 but it appears that most of the BMW range are being stolen along with and not limited to the A class, C class Mercedes-Benz. It appears these seem to be finding there way to Eastern Europe. Sorry I should also add the Range Rover

To be honest I have been checking with insurance companies and car publication websites and the facts about the thefts of S3 really don’t add up. You are more likely to have a BMW stolen than the S3. I think the car security industry is trying to panic people into believing that their model or make of car is vulnerable. Still if you really feel the need for extra security why not consult the many thousands of companies who will be only to willing to recommend a product to suit your requirements. In the old days some on this site may remember that removing the Rotor arm from the distributor was an effective security measure

But we have literally had several stolen, in both violent and ‘clean’ thefts on this forum in the last few months.. we are a small community when you compare us to a worldwide supply. Keep in mind we also take extra measures, your average person who doesn’t give a toss about the cars in the way we do won’t do anything to protect them.

The thefts are happening, let me remind you of the high profile case of that guy killed by his own car up country. S3 Saloon..

Once every couple of weeks I hear about a stolen S3.

If my memory serves me right it was the BMW X5 but it appears that most of the BMW range are being stolen along with and not limited to the A class, C class Mercedes-Benz. It appears these seem to be finding there way to Eastern Europe. Sorry I should also add the Range Rover

Fair enough but, because the X5 is more stolen, that makes the S3 stories, scaremongering or they don't add up ?
You also mention 'most of the BMW range' and 2 class of mercs. Not really a good comparison to one particular version of one particular car Audi make.

I've seen enough posts on here over the last year or so warning of S3's being nicked. Not to mention the poor man run down by his own car.

But we have literally had several stolen, in both violent and ‘clean’ thefts on this forum in the last few months.. we are a small community when you compare us to a worldwide supply. Keep in mind we also take extra measures, your average person who doesn’t give a toss about the cars in the way we do won’t do anything to protect them.

The thefts are happening, let me remind you of the high profile case of that guy killed by his own car up country. S3 Saloon..

Once every couple of weeks I hear about a stolen S3.
I understand your points and I agree that there have been some extremely violent crimes being committed by these thugs. I think from my research that there appears to be a regional element involved as well. Here in the South East I haven’t seen to much reporting of this kind of crime. What worries me is that some people are selling their cars because they feel they could become a victim. Was the fear of theft part of your thought process when you were thinking which car to buy ???? If it was we are truly living in sad times

Reactions: Jassyo06
Fair enough but, because the X5 is more stolen, that makes the S3 stories, scaremongering or they don't add up ?
You also mention 'most of the BMW range' and 2 class of mercs. Not really a good comparison to one particular version of one particular car Audi make.

I've seen enough posts on here over the last year or so warning of S3's being nicked. Not to mention the poor man run down by his own car.
As I said the statistics show a full range of vehicles that are being actively targeted by criminals. Now if you consider just thinking about the Audi range and what percentage of these cars are S3 and how many are being stolen then yes it may show a disproportionate number being stolen. I get the idea that the thefts of S3 seem to have a regional element so if you live in a major city in the midland you are more at risk then say someone who lives in a small town here in Kent. If I turned my thoughts to the fact that I could have it stolen, I would never take it out. So what’s the point of having it, sad times indeed.

There was a stat from the telegraph that says the S3 was the most stolen car in 2015 in the UK.

But it is true you can’t compare the number of S3 stolen compared to the X5, cos the X5 comes in multiple engines and the S3 is just one. Not sure if that makes sense when you guys read it haha.

Where I live, just recently there is a a lot of classic cars being stolen. The most popular cars to be stolen are classic fords.

For me ? GAP & a Disklok
If they still steal it I DO NOT, under any circumstances, want it back
So trackers are a waste of time for me personally

Reactions: richinsoton, paradigital, S3 Johnny and 1 other person
Two guns

maxresdefault.jpg

Reactions: richinsoton, Pook, Jassyo06 and 1 other person

2016 article based on 2015 figures...hardly recent

For the record yet again as i've made the same comment on half a dozen threads in the last couple of years.....

GAP & Dashcam to protect my investment.

CCTV, good quality house locks on windows and doors and Burglar Alarm to protect the family and keys left downstairs at night

Reactions: Jassyo06 and GW1
GAP and I'm getting a Ghost system fitted this week....I'd rather come back and find my car with a broken window than no car at all!!!

If they want it 100% they will have it no matter what you use!!!

Reactions: AudiNutta and GW1
Too true, If they take it hope they crash and burn.

Reactions: sve170, Jassyo06, Bristle Hound and 1 other person
For me ? GAP & a Disklok
If they still steal it I DO NOT, under any circumstances, want it back
So trackers are a waste of time for me personally
Me neither, I wouldn’t want mine back.

Reactions: richinsoton and Bristle Hound
I think it also depends where you live. I'm in the south east, not far from London and we have a lot of fast Audi's, Golf R's, Range Rovers and assorted BMW's stolen. They are stolen for different reasons by different gangs. Last week I recovered an RS6 estate on tracker, stolen a few hours earlier in a burglary, they only wanted the car, ignored everything else in the house.
All high end cars are vulnerable. Some will end up in containers, others are used as getaway vehicles. I've chased my fair share of stolen cars around over the years, it used to be Scoobies and R32's! We stood a chance against those

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Reactions: AudiNutta, Djs3saloon and GW1
GAP and I'm getting a Ghost system fitted this week....I'd rather come back and find my car with a broken window than no car at all!!!

If they want it 100% they will have it no matter what you use!!!
What is this Ghost System?
I’ve seen a few people talk about it but don’t really know much about it.

What is this Ghost System?
I’ve seen a few people talk about it but don’t really know much about it.
Car won't start without tapping in a code made up of up to 20 button presses. Even with key.

TX.

Sent from my STV100-4 using Tapatalk

Car won't start without tapping in a code made up of up to 20 button presses. Even with key.
TX.

Oh I see, that’s a good Idea.
What sort of money are they??

Not cheap, mid £300's ...

TX.

There no doubt car theft is a major issue especially in certain areas of the uk more than others.
I've no hard figures in front of me but they need to be looked at taking other things into consideration.
Such as, what is the % stolen v total number in the road. If 50 S3's were stolen per year nobody would bat an eye but if it were 10 McLarens that would be shocking (for example).
Also, we hear more about S3's as that's the forum we're reading day in day out as opposed to other brands / models.

Reactions: GW1
I've had the Autowatch Ghost installed and it's a great bit of kit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh I see, that’s a good Idea.
What sort of money are they??
£369-£399 they were the prices I got quoted!. £369 fitted at home by one man and his van, or £399 fitted from a reputable place that is close and I can easily get back to if needed!!! For me that's worth the extra £30.

I've had the Autowatch Ghost installed and it's a great bit of kit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
its a great bit of kit.

Only nerve racking thing is setting the code; ignition on, park on, accelerator to floor (really? gulp!)

LOL, yeh best to read and get it done in one go. There is an app you can get too.

sasmobile fitted mine, they came out to where I wanted and also managed to do it during an offer so got a few quid off.

LOL, yeh best to read and get it done in one go. I have the app which is good, just make sure its off/closed when not needed - handy if doing a few start/stop situations.
is that the apple app? Issue i would have with that is it comprises security as using radio which can be detected

LOL, yeh best to read and get it done in one go. There is an app you can get too.

sasmobile fitted mine, they came out to where I wanted and also managed to do it during an offer so got a few quid off.
How is yours set up mate? I have the option of gear box lock (as in the above vid), letting it start and then cutting out when trying to put it into gear or I think he said not start at all until you put the code in.

Someone takes your phone and they have the code to the car...don't think I'll bother with that one!

Get a good quality composite door. Keeps the noise, cold & the naughty folk outside. And when the door closes you get the 'Alan Partridge opening/closing a cd in Tandy's - nice action feeling' every single time.

Reactions: davc
From what I know the the App works with BT (need to be pretty close to the car, really in it - some tests of a phone being a few meters away didn't work. I imagine you do need to be a little careful with the app as if you left it running or the phone in the car then its not ideal - although you can lock/wipe your phone remotely and then it would kick in at next start.

Get a good quality composite door. Keeps the noise, cold & the naughty folk outside. And when the door closes you get the 'Alan Partridge opening/closing a cd in Tandy's - nice action feeling' every single time.
always advised and anti-snap locks too is a good thing otherwise the door could be opened pretty easy!

How is yours set up mate? I have the option of gear box lock (as in the above vid), letting it start and then cutting out when trying to put it into gear or I think he said not start at all until you put the code in.

Someone takes your phone and they have the code to the car...don't think I'll bother with that one!

Not sure you can have the gearbox lock, the video with the A7 looks to be a push into D from N unlike the others where you move the lever to another position... I may be wrong, be interesting to know. Wasn't mentioned to me and it was only a week or so ago.

Not sure you can have the gearbox lock, the video with the A7 looks to be a push into D from N unlike the others where you move the lever to another position... I may be wrong, be interesting to know. Wasn't mentioned to me and it was only a week or so ago.
I think it's car specific, on the A5 I think he said the confirmation of the code is the indicators flashing. I'll let you know tomorrow after it's fitted :)

Very personal thing security.

Most of the time I lock mine and that's it but if it went I don't want it back.
If they take it and its recovered they know where it will be and me and the wife will live with constant concern about the future etc etc

If you make the car unnickable without the key then they break in to get the key, if you make the house like fort knox they wait for you outside, if you make it that they need something inside your head (Citroen Saxo's had keypads in the 1990s!!) they might break you to get it...........

No real answer to the problem, if you really are that concerned buy a 3dr manual...........nobody wants those :)

Reactions: Bristle Hound
Very personal thing security.

Most of the time I lock mine and that's it but if it went I don't want it back.
If they take it and its recovered they know where it will be and me and the wife will live with constant concern about the future etc etc

If you make the car unnickable without the key then they break in to get the key, if you make the house like fort knox they wait for you outside, if you make it that they need something inside your head (Citroen Saxo's had keypads in the 1990s!!) they might break you to get it...........

No real answer to the problem, if you really are that concerned buy a 3dr manual...........nobody wants those :)
What a way to live. If it concerned me to that degree I wouldn’t have bought one, just enjoy the moment, all you have to fear is fear itself.

Indeed.

Like one of these doors

Beefing up home security on doors and windows should take priority over the car.

My preference would be tracker's cat 5+ with the driver tags, but I have gap anyway so didn't bother.

As others have said ghost can be a liability when you have scumbags coming back into your house demanding to know why the car won't start.

What a way to live. If it concerned me to that degree I wouldn’t have bought one, just enjoy the moment, all you have to fear is fear itself.

I think you misunderstood my attempt at sarcasm/humour...........I don't give theft a second thought.
If I was bothered I wouldn't have bought an S3.

Reactions: GW1