Added Security Review...

guzzy_431

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm thinking to a purchase a steering wheel lock for my car for added security. I am not sure whether it will act as a deterrent or an immobiliser?

what are your views & comments on the subject?.

Wouldnt bother, unless youve got the keys are cars arnt goig anywhere.

I use a Disklock on mine as it's parked up on the driveway during the day as I cycle to work.

As with anything, if someone wants to nick something, they will. However the more awkward you make it, the more likely they are to just go elsewhere...

More of a deterant mate, steering wheel locks have been proven to be reasonable easy to remove, the standard security is up to the job, and as people have said, if they want the car bad enough, they will take it! Make it too hard and they may end up chancing breaking into your house for the keys if they really want it!!

I have a disklok on mine, its more of a visual deterrant and can help take a little bit longer I would like to think.

Thanks guys for ure comments I'll decide at wk end whether 2 get 1
:rolleyes:

i just have a GPS tracker on mine... and a camera ontop of my parking spot :p acts as a deterent

Wouldnt bother, unless youve got the keys are cars arnt goig anywhere.

Come on Dani, you don't really believe that do you?

If someone wants it, they're going to have it, and there's nothing you can do about it. My preference would be to fit a tracker so you can at least find it when it's been stolen!

In terms of stopping someone drive it away, If leaving it for any length of time I'd consider disconnecting various critical sensors around the engine bay so that the car won't start at all.

any facts on how many a3 / s3 8l's have been stolen in the last 6 months ?

not exactly worth it for a professional theif IMO - £1,500 a3 or £40,000 rs6

a stolen £1,500 a3 has got to be worth about £200 on the black market, a £3,500 s3 maybe £800

I have a Disk lock too, it all helps visual deterrent and all that but I guess if they really want it they will just load it on a wagon

Come on Dani, you don't really believe that do you?

If someone wants it, they're going to have it, and there's nothing you can do about it. My preference would be to fit a tracker so you can at least find it when it's been stolen!

In terms of stopping someone drive it away, If leaving it for any length of time I'd consider disconnecting various critical sensors around the engine bay so that the car won't start at all.

Pull the fuel pump fuse - old'un and a good'un

Pull the fuel pump fuse - old'un and a good'un

You can get those GPS/GSM/GPRS trackers off ebay which have a relay/switchable feed which you control via SMS.

Why not add an extra fuel pump and spark plug mounted somewhere in the cabin.

I would not lose any sleep what-so-ever if some scumbag car/motorbike thieves got maimed by a DIY internal flame thrower.

Alas we're not allowed to endanger or diminish the human rights of thieving scumbags so I'll have to leave it as a fantasy ...

havnt got it on the s3 but the race car has an electrical cut off switch which works rather well :)

tbh if its outside your house id leave it as it is, if they want it and cant get it due to a steering wheel lock there coming in to get the keys, then it comes to the point do you want to put yourself and family in danger for a lump of metal?

if its somwhere like outside work on a side road then yes put a steering wheel lock on :)

There was a similar thread a couple weeks ago. I'll repeat what I posted then:

You can steal new BMWs within seconds, with a blank key programmed from the OBD port. Sorry to break it to you lot but a £5k S3 isn't as desirable a brand new 1M / M3 / 335 etc. etc.

The standard immobiliser is highly effective, I don't think a disklock will accomplish anything even from a deterrant point of view.