Adblue

Phil73

Reaction score
Just thought I would share my experience of topping up for the first time. Having done 6000 miles now, about to go abroad next month and no way of knowing if it was delivered with a full tank, best thought would play it safe.
I have the 24 litre tank and having checked I could top it up at a nearby service station on the M5, Frankly north, did so on a way to a meeting last week.
The cashier (Welsh Mark) was great, showed me a few options, 2 litre bottle ( can't remember the price), 10 litre bottle with filling attachment for £16.99 or the pump on the HGV island if the nozzle fitted at 89p a litre.
Bit of a no brained to try the HGV pump first, the nozzle (bp) fits in and having had to go back to the shop to swipe the card for the pump first, topped up with 11 and a bit litres in no time.
So based on that you use 1 litre about 550 miles. So should be ok now for another 12000 miles! Dead easy and mucho cheaper than the containers.

Phil
190 tdi sline avant auto, moonlight blue, adaptive sports suspension, tech pack, 18" wheels, and a few other toys..

Reactions: scotty76, AndrewMD, StevoGuide7 and 1 other person
Thats interesting about the hgv pump. My mother in law has a b8 tdi ultra with ad blue. Took it to the nearest she'll with adblue. Pump fit but it kept cutting out. Ended up buying a big container of the stuff and putting it in by hand...

The pump did cut out once or twice, think it was because squeezing nozzle handle all the way ie not throttling it. It cut out finally when full and would not allow anymore in much the same way when filling with fuel.

I've only done 1650 miles on my 16 plate A6 C7 and decided to top up the tank, manged to get over 7 liters in there before it was full, so I don't believe they fill the tank from factory.

I've just had a 2000 mile warning for adblue come up on my B9 A4 after 8500 miles.

I went for the larger 24ltr tank and yeah it's the 3.0 (218). I have read previously you should get around 10k miles until top up, so seems about right

I went for the larger 24ltr tank and yeah it's the 3.0 (218). I have read previously you should get around 10k miles until top up, so seems about right
Is that assuming it was full to start with? Seems like they generally aren't.....

Just read on another forum, they topped a 24ltr up to full and it came back with 10500 mile range. Seems I got lucky and the dealership filled it to the top (unlike the oil which I have had to top up recently)

Just read on another forum, they topped a 24ltr up to full and it came back with 10500 mile range. Seems I got lucky and the dealership filled it to the top (unlike the oil which I have had to top up recently)
Oh, okay.
Slightly off-topic, what engine oil did you use to top-up as I am about to set off on a multi-thousand mile continental trip and mine is showing just over half full at 3k miles?
BTW I have 3.0 (218) also...

I just used the oil which was supplied with the car, found it in one of the compartments in the boot

For anyone interested, I've recently had the 2k warning for AdBlue, after 3,500miles in a 190tdi with the normal size tank. Seems slightly higher consumption than some others in this thread but presumably the dealer didn't quite fill mine at new.

Picked up my Avant yesterday.

It has the larger SCR tank. I nipped into our local hardware store and they had Greenox Adblue 5L for £6. So just over £1 per litre. The car only needed 3L to fill, so the dealership put plenty in. I'm guessing a standard of 20L on top of the minimum from the factory.

The dealer said they have to put in Adblue supplied by Audi as part of the PDI, which works out at £1.20 per l.

Good ol Pig wee & Water!

Reactions: mjcourtney
I'm at 3600 miles in my 190, and so far so good. My dealer (Coventry) said on pickup that they had checked and topped up oil and adblue. I've also got the bigger tank. Depends on your dealer I suppose.

Is there an adblue gauge anywhere?

I'm nearly up to 7000 miles and it's still going strong. Like @Colh i picked mine up from Coventry so they must have topped mine up as well

Adblue warning has come up at just over 7500 miles. I wish petrol stations would start adding pumps for it on their forecourts

Ad blue along with heavier tyre wear , additional oil consumption and less refinement was why i chose the tfsi.
I feel the whole adblue issue is a backward step and more hassle for owners only to provide manufacturers with achieving set figures.
Really if manufacturers struggle to reach these values why on earth are these unachievable figures set in the first place?
In 2016 there must be a better way than standing pouring pig pee into your new high tech luxury car.

But the manufacturers don't set the unachievable figures in the first place do they, it's just the manufacturers being forced to comply. Next from the legislator's it will be, and I know this to be true, dpf's for all our petrol engines in a few years time to meet the targets. VAG already have some in the pipeline for next year..

Yes perhaps my wording is misleading , i do understand its not the manufacturers fault .But the relevent goverment departments and assosiated bodies.
Still it was enough to personally put me off diesel power......

..dp filters , another giant pain in the *** , just great for all those short trips..bound to clog up leading to a trip to your dealer requiring ££££££££.
What i find laughable with these "goals" is unfortunatley the benifits are completely undone every time someone passes you in a smoke screening old banger leaving a vapour trail 3/4 mile behind it and choking your lungs as it passes......

Last edited:
Fortunately particulate filters on a petrol engine don't quite have the same issues as one on a diesel, as the exhausts run hotter, thus any regens will not require forcing. However it is an extra cost on the purchase and maintenance on a owner and there might be a hit on performance as well...

Ad blue along with heavier tyre wear , additional oil consumption and less refinement was why i chose the tfsi
Don't tsfi engines drink oil like there's no tomorrow?

AdBlue is such a minor inconvenience that it's laughable you use it as a negative against the diesel variants. Oh no, I have to refill it once, maybe twice a year at a tiny cost - what hardship...

Better fuel efficiency trumps everything else when I'm covering hundreds of miles a week. To get 3 weeks worth of driving for every tank is good going for a quattro, doubt I'd be getting that with a petrol

Reactions: Mike north east
Nope, mine hasn't used a drop neither has any of my petrol engined cars. Personally I have no comment to make about ad blu but there is the fact that diesel engine manufacturers are struggling to stay within the current emmission limits and they seem to have run out of ideas. The use of this engine in passenger cars is definately on the way out and some manufacturers are going to drop oil burners from their range very soon. Yet the petrol engine is still coming out with different technology...

Last edited:
I genuinely wish that my next car in 2-3 years will be hydrogen powered - eradicating the need for adblue and whatever else - it remains to be seen how likely that will be. Until then I'm optimistic about going from Diesel to petrol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Me too, however for some reason I'm not seeing much development in the area of hydrogen powered engines. The emphasis seems to be electric with the batteries being so environmentally devastating...

AdBlue is such a minor inconvenience that it's laughable you use it as a negative against the diesel variants. Oh no, I have to refill it once, maybe twice a year at a tiny cost - what hardship...

Better fuel efficiency trumps everything else when I'm covering hundreds of miles a week. To get 3 weeks worth of driving for every tank is good going for a quattro, doubt I'd be getting that with a petrol
My comments on adblue are purely personal and i found it an extra additional issue i could do without.Every one picks and chooses what suits them.With regards to oil consumption and tyre wear i was going by past experience with my A4 tdi which could only muster around 12 k from a set of front tyres ,where my petrol A3 is currently on 22k and still not down to its markers.It also liked a sip of oil now and again.......My petrol A3 did use some oil on running in but not after that.Factor in the smooth quiet power from the petrol and that was enough for me,,,,,,,,,

Last edited:
Me too, however for some reason I'm The emphasis seems to be electric with the batteries being so environmentally devastating...

How so? Devastating seems slightly over zealous, and something I would reserve for fossil fuels!

You have the issue of precious metals needed, but hydrogen has the same issue. Recycling of batteries can certainly circumvent this.

I thought hydrogen was lagging because it primarily uses methane as its source of hydrogen, with high energy needed to separate it.

The advantage of EV is that it's entire production has the potential to have zero reliance on fossil fuels.

If there were alternative sources for hydrogen, then fuel cell technology could surpass EV, but then you still have the issue of building the immense infrastructure to replace what's already there for standard fuels. This is the same issue with EV, but they have already started making huge headway, thanks largely to Tesla.

To me the advantages of hydrogen is that you can 'recharge' the car in minutes, much like a standard car. But EV is already making massive headway with super fast charging. The disadvantage is that currently hydrogen is mostly extracted from methane gas (think fracking and the likes) and the high energy needed to separate the hydrogen, something that EV doesn't have to consider. For me that makes EV a much better alternative.

Perhaps hydrogen needs a rather rich bloke to kick start it...?

Back slightly on topic...

The ever increasing regulations on emissions (and rightly so...) means that diesels won't be viable much longer, and it won't be long till petrol reaches the same point. We've seen the lengths VAG have gone to to try and produce diesels that don't require adblue to meet EU5 regulations, and the fact they resorted to such a risky and damaging tactic of cheating, suggests to me that they are reaching the limits of what is capable from Diesel engines, in terms of engine technology and exhaust management hardware to reduce harmful emissions.

Reactions: cuke2u