Adblue Usage

alpesh26

Reaction score
This is a copy and paste of my thread in the A5 forum (b8 chassis), but I didn't get a response on there as I don't think many people have this engine in the older a5 so I was wondering if you guys could help? I believe the 2.0 tdi 190 ps is used in the b9 a4?

Just wondering after how many miles you guys are filling up your AdBlue? I put 10 litres in around 5000 miles ago and I've had the warning come up this morning saying it needs some more as it will run out in 1500 miles. Not sure if the usage on my car is excessive or normal

The car is a 2.0 TDI 190PS Quattro.

What was your mileage when you were first given a warning?

I'm on 10,000 miles and no warning. I'm getting a bit worried!

What was your mileage when you were first given a warning?

I'm on 10,000 miles and no warning. I'm getting a bit worried!

We have same car as yourself (218Q Avant) and our 2k miles AdBlue warning only came on at just over 10k (see pic below) so I wouldn't worry, ours has standard 12ltr AdBlue tank, so on ours worked out at approx 1ltr AdBlue per 1k miles, most others have quite a bit lower.

Just make sure you scroll through DIS menu fully (assuming no VC on yours) as I only found it that way and not as a pop-up warning.

IMG 2788

The owners manual states that AdBlue consumption is normally between 1 - 4% of diesel usage. The A4 has a 12 litre Adblue tank (unless you ordered the larger one). So at 1% the tank will last for 1200 litres of diesel. At 54 mpg this works out at approx 14,000 miles. At 4% usage obviously this will be a lot less, so both of you have nothing to worry about IMO.

The owners manual states that AdBlue consumption is normally between 1 - 4% of diesel usage. The A4 has a 12 litre Adblue tank (unless you ordered the larger one). So at 1% the tank will last for 1200 litres of diesel. At 54 mpg this works out at approx 14,000 miles. At 4% usage obviously this will be a lot less, so both of you have nothing to worry about IMO.

Cheers, i think mine is about right then, my MPG is around 37-39MPG. How are you getting 54mpg?!

I don't have the Quattro and only have the 150bhp engine.....I do a lot of long motorway journeys too.

I don't have the Quattro and only have the 150bhp engine.....I do a lot of long motorway journeys too.

We average overall between 42-44mpg in our 3.0 218 Avant Quattro, motorway runs with some cruise control usage and we can break 55mpg, just got back from Leeds to Dorset and return, approx 620miles including driving whilst there on only £60 of diesel, not driven at all like a slouch either.

Ah that makes sense, I dont really need quattro but i like the "stickiness" of it, i dont think i'd go back to 2wd...and i can laugh at my mate who has a beamer when it snows :D

Yes I remember the snowy days owning a rear wheel drive BMW.... looking out of the window going "nah not today".

The A4 shouldn't be so bad being a FWD.

Yes I remember the snowy days owning a rear wheel drive BMW.... looking out of the window going "nah not today".

The A4 shouldn't be so bad being a FWD.

FWD should be fine. My B7 was FWD and that ploughed through snow when i ran it on 16" wheels

16" wheels I'd expect to be better than our 18" or 19" wheels as the width is less. I had a Citroen Dyane 6 with skinny tyres and in snow was the only time I ever overtook anything..

My 2000 mile warning came on at 3500 miles!

2017 A4 Allroad 272

My 2000 mile warning came on at 3500 miles!

2017 A4 Allroad 272

Aside from driving style having a bearing on how much you use it seems to vary greatly from one brand new B9 to another, which one can only assume some dealers brim the AdBlue in the PDI stage (in our case of 10k before the 2k popup) and other supplying dealers just put an arbitrary few litres in (which would be the assumption to make in your case I guess).

There is another thread relating to the exact same issue below.
I did 11500 miles before breeding a top up.