AdBlue on the 2019 A6 Avant 40 TDI Quattro

psychopomp1

Reaction score
Hi
A few questions re: AdBlue for those of you with the latest A6 Avant 40 TDI or 40 TDI Quattro:

1) Is the AdBlue filler cap located next to the regular fuel cap?

2) Can the AdBlue cap be opened by hand or does it need a special tool?

3) Whats the capacity of the standard AdBlue tank?

4) What sort of mileage do you get before the AdBlue warning light comes on? I believe it comes on when you have 1500 miles left.

5) Finally, i believe the dealers charge a small fortune if you ask them to do an AdBlue fill up, supposed to be far cheaper buying the AdBlue yourself & topping up as & when required. Would something like this do the job?

amazon.co.uk/CleanAirBlue-Adblue-Cans-Spout-total/dp/B01KOEMJIW

Alternatively, can you fill up from the AdBlue dispensing pumps at Shell/BP/other fuel stations or perhaps the nozzles don't fit?

Many thanks! :)

Last edited:
1) Is the AdBlue filler cap located next to the regular fuel cap?
Yes, its a small blue cap next to the diesel one under the flap.

2) Can the AdBlue cap be opened by hand or does it need a special tool?
It just unscrews like the diesel one, you get a inch wide tube with the AdBlue stuff and you pour it in.

3) Whats the capacity of the standard AdBlue tank?
I am not sure, but I got about 3/4 of a 5 L in there just after purchase.

4) What sort of mileage do you get before the AdBlue warning light comes on? I believe it comes on when you have 1500 miles left.
We have done around 10,000 and havent needed to put more yet and its still showing as >2,400 km.

Lastly, regardless of what they say, its not made of pig wee!

Reactions: psychopomp1
Thanks mate, much appreciated. Never owned a diesel with AdBlue before so its all a bit new for me. A6 diesel is currently on factory order so want to be fully prepared for it. Thanks again :icon thumright:

24l for the standard Adblue tank, the fluid though is made up of a mix of high grade urea, higher than found in cosmetics, glue or fertilisers. and deionized water...

and yes, buy it online, it is much cheaper.

Reactions: cuke2u
I’ve done 10,200 miles and the warning has just come on. It states;
‘ Please refill at least 6 litres of AdBlue the next time you refuel. Range: X’

Hi there, I’ve always gone back to Audi for the AdBlue refill and it worked out cheaper than buying the fluid online. I’ve done my maths vs buying the Audi standard AdBlue online and topping it up myself. Doing it at the dealer was cheaper. They don’t charge for filling it up, only per litre of fluid added. I guess it’s down to personal preference, but I’ve always found them helpful and cheap. I hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve not even found where I check my AdBlue level yet

Wdp76 it will let you know when you need to refill with AdBlue. You’ll get a message that you need to refill and that you have another 1500 miles left or so.

Thanks Radster, does that mean I can’t check the level until it warns me?

Yes, as far as I know. I’ve been driving Audis using AdBlue since April 2016 and I’ve never been able to find a way to check the level. But it’s always alerted me well in advance (1500 miles) to ensure I could top up in time. My new A6 (delivered October 2019) has not alerted me on the AdBlue yet. The previous A6 alerted me every 6 or 7 thousand miles or so. I don’t even have 1600 miles on the new A6 yet so it’s way too early.

Reactions: Donnythemanny and Wdp76