1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dismiss Notice

AdBlue on the 2019 A6 Avant 40 TDI Quattro

psychopomp1 Dec 2, 2019 at 12:06 PM

1. psychopomp1

psychopomp1 Active Member

Hi
    A few questions re: AdBlue for those of you with the latest A6 Avant 40 TDI or 40 TDI Quattro:

1) Is the AdBlue filler cap located next to the regular fuel cap?

2) Can the AdBlue cap be opened by hand or does it need a special tool?

3) Whats the capacity of the standard AdBlue tank?

4) What sort of mileage do you get before the AdBlue warning light comes on? I believe it comes on when you have 1500 miles left.

5) Finally, i believe the dealers charge a small fortune if you ask them to do an AdBlue fill up, supposed to be far cheaper buying the AdBlue yourself & topping up as & when required. Would something like this do the job?

amazon.co.uk/CleanAirBlue-Adblue-Cans-Spout-total/dp/B01KOEMJIW

Alternatively, can you fill up from the AdBlue dispensing pumps at Shell/BP/other fuel stations or perhaps the nozzles don't fit?

Many thanks! :)

Last edited: Dec 2, 2019 at 12:18 PM
  2. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

3. Whimsy

Whimsy Member S-line owners group Audi A6 Audi Avant Owner Group S tronic

1) Is the AdBlue filler cap located next to the regular fuel cap?
    Yes, its a small blue cap next to the diesel one under the flap.

2) Can the AdBlue cap be opened by hand or does it need a special tool?
    It just unscrews like the diesel one, you get a inch wide tube with the AdBlue stuff and you pour it in.

3) Whats the capacity of the standard AdBlue tank?
    I am not sure, but I got about 3/4 of a 5 L in there just after purchase.

4) What sort of mileage do you get before the AdBlue warning light comes on? I believe it comes on when you have 1500 miles left.
    We have done around 10,000 and havent needed to put more yet and its still showing as >2,400 km.

Lastly, regardless of what they say, its not made of pig wee!

psychopomp1 likes this.
  4. psychopomp1

psychopomp1 Active Member

Thanks mate, much appreciated. Never owned a diesel with AdBlue before so its all a bit new for me. A6 diesel is currently on factory order so want to be fully prepared for it. Thanks again :icon thumright:

5. cuke2u

cuke2u Well-Known Member TFSI Owners Group S-line owners group saloon Audi A4

24l for the standard Adblue tank, the fluid though is made up of a mix of high grade urea, higher than found in cosmetics, glue or fertilisers. and deionized water...

6. Candell

Candell Active Member Audi A4

and yes, buy it online, it is much cheaper.

cuke2u likes this.