AdBlue Fill Up - Best (cleanest) Approach

WarwickBoy

Reaction score
My 2020 S4 if the first car I've had which requires AdBlue and some 2200 mile into ownership it is telling me requires am AdBlue fill up when I next get diesel.

What is the best/cleanest way to do this without making a mess (as I understand this is smelly stuff)?

1. Can one utilise those AdBlue pumps at petrol stations. They look like they are for lorries, but can they also be used by cars (I assume they stop when the tank is full)
2. Or can one simply fill from the normal bottles?

I'm sure there are probably good/bad ways of doing this so seeking advice from those who know :)

Upload 2020 2 9 11 55 31

Yes to the HGV pump, it's cheaper too. And yes, it clicks off when full. It's the only way I've ever done it.

Reactions: And1, Bristle Hound, WarwickBoy and 1 other person
I've filled up with AdBlue purchased in 10 litre containers from eBay, and it was very easy and cheap too. No mess, it's not smelly at all.
If you spill any, which is unlikely if you're reasonably strong and can lift a 10kg container, just rinse off with water, it doesn't mark the paint.
If you have a pump you can go to at a garage then that might be easier, but its not difficult in either case.
Is that 2200 miles from new? Blimey Audi must be getting stingy with the amount they preload the car in the factory.

+1 for the HGV pump.

At my local station I have to be careful how hard I pull the leaver as it comes out with quite come pressure.

my average from fill up to 1000 mile warning is 4500 miles.

Reactions: WarwickBoy
Thank you BigAardvaark and Martyn_A4. I used the AdBlue 'HGV' (they were quite happy for cars to use it) pump at my local BP station. Filled up with 7.92 litres for £7.12 - job done.

Does anyone know what the capacity of the AdBlue tank is on the S4 Avant?

On my original specification sheet (vai Audi Code) it show
Fuel tank, approx. 58 Litres (approx.)

But no mention of AdBlue tank
Upload 2020 2 14 7 54 52

Thank you BigAardvaark and Martyn_A4. I used the AdBlue 'HGV' (they were quite happy for cars to use it) pump at my local BP station. Filled up with 7.92 litres for £7.12 - job done.

Does anyone know what the capacity of the AdBlue tank is on the S4 Avant?

On my original specification sheet (vai Audi Code) it show
Fuel tank, approx. 58 Litres (approx.)

But no mention of AdBlue tank
View attachment 197798

Not sure but if it only took 7.92 litres to fill up its probably 10 or 12 litres.
On the other diesels it was usually either 12 or 24 litres from memory.

Not sure but if it only took 7.92 litres to fill up its probably 10 or 12 litres.
On the other diesels it was usually either 12 or 24 litres from memory.
I stopped as 8 litres as was not sure the pump had an auto stop!

Before the fill up the car was saying “1200 miles to go” and warning me to fill up at my next fuelling every time I start the car. Now the myAudi mobile app is showing the 1500 miles. I really hope 8 litres has given me more than 300 miles additional range!

Doesn’t the app say >1500 miles or something like that? Unfortunately it doesn’t give a calculated overall range, and I’ve never worked out how many miles it’s done per litre.

Isn't the bigger AdBlue tank a cost option on the S4 diesel?

Doesn’t the app say >1500 miles or something like that? Unfortunately it doesn’t give a calculated overall range, and I’ve never worked out how many miles it’s done per litre.

You are spot on jds_sg. For some reason it says greater than 1,419 miles (I missed the greater than). At first I thought that was strange number until I converted it to kilometres when and realised it is 2,400km)

Upload 2020 2 16 20 43 34