Adaptive Lights

ashleyeagles

Reaction score
Has anyone got these on their A3 and if so what's the general opinion? Thinking about adding them to my BE order but not really sure whether they are worth it?

I had OEM adaptive bi-zenons added to my S3 and although they're really cool, I don't know they're worth the money.

I have adaptive Bi-xenons on my A3 and the jury is still out as to whether they are worth the money. They were not as good as I had expected but drive at night on an unfamiliar country road and they come in to their own.

worth every penny and work very well, especially into bends\corners.

:iagree:
If you live in the country, these are invaluable.
I particularly remember spotting and avoiding a deer around a left hand corner that I feel I would not have seen without the adaptive lights.

yes though it would require a rewire no doubt possibly a cenral electrics unit nhn would agree im sure

I picked up my new S3 on Saturday and I ordered the adaptive lights, but I'm not sure if I have them or not.

Should they work when stationary or is it only only when moving ? ie sitting on my driveway, going from one lock to the other, there is no change in the direction of the light on either dipped headlights or full beam - does that sound right ?

Is it just on dipped headlights or also on full beam, or just on full beam ?

Anyone know what the 3 letter code is for that accessory as I think their is a sticker somewhere ( is it in the boot beside the spare ? ) that lists all the option codes.

Thanks,
Yaks

Edit : Found the code 8Q5 and my sticker says I do have them, anyone know if they should work when stationary ?
Edit2 : further searching implies they only work between 10mph and about 80mph

Last edited:
I've seen them in a video for a retrofitting company on the web. The video shows them moving side to side when stationary! I will have a butchers and post back if I can find it!

You really notice you have them as soon as you get a bit of fog as you see the beams shifting with your steering input.

If you live in a city and your only other driving is motorway I wouldn't bother, but if you live out in the 'cunryside' they are well worth buying. Get on a winding unfamiliar country road at night and they are very good

You really notice you have them as soon as you get a bit of fog as you see the beams shifting with your steering input.

If you live in a city and your only other driving is motorway I wouldn't bother, but if you live out in the 'cunryside' they are well worth buying. Get on a winding unfamiliar country road at night and they are very good

I live nr Ashdown forest where at the moment 900 dear are hit a year, they have no intension of culling them, and drive quite a lot at night, over my years of driving have hit a few, but never to cause damage to warrant a claim, a fox was my worse, cost me £500-00 odd

I live nr Ashdown forest where at the moment 900 dear are hit a year, they have no intension of culling them, and drive quite a lot at night, over my years of driving have hit a few, but never to cause damage to warrant a claim, a fox was my worse, cost me £500-00 odd

Ouch - never nice from a driver confidence or cost perspective!

I guess the only other factor hear is speed - whilst adaptive lights provide great visibility they will never stop animals making an unannounced entry onto the highway. Adaptives will allow you to have a better range of visibility which means you are better prepared for upcoming road conditions, but variable factors are always going to be the fly in the ointment.

I picked up my new S3 on Saturday and I ordered the adaptive lights, but I'm not sure if I have them or not.

Should they work when stationary or is it only only when moving ? ie sitting on my driveway, going from one lock to the other, there is no change in the direction of the light on either dipped headlights or full beam - does that sound right ?

Is it just on dipped headlights or also on full beam, or just on full beam ?

Anyone know what the 3 letter code is for that accessory as I think their is a sticker somewhere ( is it in the boot beside the spare ? ) that lists all the option codes.

Thanks,
Yaks

Edit : Found the code 8Q5 and my sticker says I do have them, anyone know if they should work when stationary ?
Edit2 : further searching implies they only work between 10mph and about 80mph

Ive got them fitted, the best way to test them is when drivin at about 15-20mphs at night (the darker the better), just turn your steering wheel a slight bit to right then left then back to right quickly (or vice versa like this smiley :racer:) and you will see the beam of the xenon lights trying to catch up your your steering wheel input. Thats the best way to check and you dont need fog lol, hope that helps.

Yeah I can do a retrofit & wiring changes aswell as modules required, isnt cheap but I love mine, one of my favourite mods, work great really do & no they dont work stationary, however drive of slowly & turn your wheel at night from say a junction & you'll see them swivel, however there is a showroom option in 55 iirc that you can test there functions with.

Reactions: DeeGee68
Have them on my A3. A bonus if driving a lot on windy roads. Otherwise not worth the extra imho.

Yes but having bixenons & then adaptives on top, its a mere £300 extra when speccing an a3 now, thats nothing in grand scheme, so if you want bixenons then would seem silly not to have the adaptives.

i've got adaptives on my A6, i wouldn't have a car without them now, jumping into my s2000 is a right pain as the lights are better but the light doesn't go where i want to see!

thread revival but how can I tell if my bi-xenons are adaptive or not? cheers.

Look to the rear of the round bulb area of the light assembly.
If it's black.. then they are not adaptive
If silver they are adaptive per inside boxed area of pic.

Audi a3 adaptive light silver

You'll also notice the beam swivel in low speed bends\corners. If you've not had a car with them fitted before it'll seem strange at first... It almost looks\feels like the car is over-steering. :)

Can not test this unless lights are on and car is going over 10 ~ 15mph in the dark / low light.

So do not take any 'donkey's' word for it if they say it's got adaptive..

You'll also notice the beam swivel in low speed bends\corners. If you've not had a car with them fitted before it'll seem strange at first... It almost looks\feels like the car is over-steering. :)

i likr it when you start up the car at niight the main beam levels itself and you can see the beam adjusting,as others have said they are v good in dark country lanes and also an eye catcher on DRL mode but very expensive to buy and set up

I think the autolevel thing is also on bixenon and not just the adaptives. I'm sure mine are standard bixenon, but still do the levelling thing when I turn them on.

Does anyone know why they don't always move up and down everytime I turn them on. They seem the right level, but don't always dip down and up as I turn them on. :think:
Maybe they're already level so don't need to move.

They level every time the ignition is switched on, but you only see it if you switch your lights on quickly or they're already on when you turn the key.

Reactions: NHN
They are awsome, love that up down thing they do when you turn the car on at night :D

I'm getting an ADAPTIVE LIGHT DEFECT and trying to determine if they are actually adaptive lights fitted or just regular bi xenon's. They work fine but car was hit and repaired so they may have fitted regular bi xenons instead

Its 56 plate so not the fancy ones shown above. Thanks guys.