Adaptive Cruise

Skatman

Reaction score
Just ordered my S4 Avant and one of the biggest frustrations for me was the lack of an Adaptive Cruise option. I know that you can get it as part of the Driver Assistance Pack - Tour, but the lack of choosing it on its own is a real disappointment for me. Does anyone else feel the same?

I'm also wondering if there are any VCDS mods which can enable this? My thought process is that most cars will be built with the technology installed as most of it will be controlled via the computer; so it's probably cheaper for Audi to just build it into everyone, and just charge for it to be enabled. I know that VW did this with the Scirocco and the Scirocco R; they had something called the XDF which was an electionic differential. It was installed on all cars and could be enabled via the OBD2 port.

I also know there's a way of "turning on" road-sign recognition through the OBD2 port on the B9 A4, so just thought I'd ask if anyone knew if this was possible?

Cheers!

ACC is not as simple as coding, it requires hardware. Road sign recognition also relies on hardware, more specifically the lane assist camera.

Reactions: Skatman
Just ordered my S4 Avant and one of the biggest frustrations for me was the lack of an Adaptive Cruise option. I know that you can get it as part of the Driver Assistance Pack - Tour, but the lack of choosing it on its own is a real disappointment for me. Does anyone else feel the same?

I'm also wondering if there are any VCDS mods which can enable this? My thought process is that most cars will be built with the technology installed as most of it will be controlled via the computer; so it's probably cheaper for Audi to just build it into everyone, and just charge for it to be enabled. I know that VW did this with the Scirocco and the Scirocco R; they had something called the XDF which was an electionic differential. It was installed on all cars and could be enabled via the OBD2 port.

I also know there's a way of "turning on" road-sign recognition through the OBD2 port on the B9 A4, so just thought I'd ask if anyone knew if this was possible?

Cheers!

As said, there is specific hardware required. Most noticeably is the two radar domes in the lower bumper intakes. There may well be other hardware changes as well.

I’m pretty sure that traffic sign recognition and lane assist can be coded, but only if you have the camera installed (located behind the rearview mirror facing to the front).

For the hassle I’d just spec the touring pack because it all works together so well, it just wouldn’t be the same having one or two bits of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As said, there is specific hardware required. Most noticeably is the two radar domes in the lower bumper intakes. There may well be other hardware changes as well.

I’m pretty sure that traffic sign recognition and lane assist can be coded, but only if you have the camera installed (located behind the rearview mirror facing to the front).

For the hassle I’d just spec the touring pack because it all works together so well, it just wouldn’t be the same having one or two bits of it.

I believe it also includes an upgraded camera behind the mirror. Lane assist, traffic signs and Acc share cameras so there's no point having one without the others.

Could be worse - ACC was only available as part of a £3750 option pack on my old A6

Reactions: Skatman and Daggerit

Cheers!

Yep I was quite disappointed too considering it comes as standard on a golf. Was also a but gutted that the monochrome screen inbetween the dials now comes in colour as standard on all models, I dont know why they didnt just do that from the start especially in sport or S-Line models.

Cheers for the heads-up chaps. It's just so expensive for something that comes as standard in so many cars; you'd have thought something like a £50k S4 would have included it out of the box.

I didn’t spec it and don’t miss it at all.

And I ticked every other option. :)

Well you have a choice, go buy something that has it fitted as standard, if that's important to you. Puzzles me how you get the figure of £50k as well https://www.orangewheels.co.uk/enquiries/da69f4/enquiry_details/new.html
I think he’s referring to the list price with options in the brochure before discount so in essence, yes it is a 50k car if you get what I mean?

However saying that, I am not sure I agree that these features are standard in a lot of cars. Until I chose the S4 I contemplated many many cars and I can’t recall too many with that tech as standard.

One thing to add to that, IMO cruise control is not something I’d even look for in a performance car as I want to drive it and feel it if you know what I mean, rather than whack it into cruise and let it do the driving, even when on long journeys on the motorways. That’s just my opinion though :)

One thing to add to that, IMO cruise control is not something I’d even look for in a performance car as I want to drive it and feel it if you know what I mean, rather than whack it into cruise and let it do the driving, even when on long journeys on the motorways. That’s just my opinion though :)

I can see where you’re coming from but since I also use mine for a 75 mile commute down dual carriageways it can be useful in those circumstances!

Reactions: Jay Be
I think he’s referring to the list price with options in the brochure before discount so in essence, yes it is a 50k car if you get what I mean?

However saying that, I am not sure I agree that these features are standard in a lot of cars. Until I chose the S4 I contemplated many many cars and I can’t recall too many with that tech as standard.
List price was £47k with the drivers assistance pack, but no-one is silly enough to purchase full price? But you are correct, not many cars come with ACC as standard, only cheap and nasty ones where they throw everything at the car to get you to purchase them.

List price was £47k with the drivers assistance pack, but no-one is silly enough to purchase full price? But you are correct, not many cars come with ACC as standard, only cheap and nasty ones where they throw everything at the car to get you to purchase them.
I always thought the same thing until I witnessed someone call up a car dealership, ask how much the car was and then proceeded to read out their debit card details haha!!

This.

I did have a choice and I chose the S4 because it represents the best car for the money that meets my requirements.

Doesn't mean I can't say I think 'x' should be standard. I don't see why that's a problem.

Reactions: blackb9er and Jay Be
Mine was more than £50k after discounts :(