AdamZA's S5 Sportback Waiting Thread! UPDATE. 40 HOURS TO COLLECTION. 8/8/2014 ...

Update of the S/RS5 : Sorry guys still no sign of this in the school car park and we're running out of days, school finishes next Friday.

I'll remain vigilant :))

Reactions: warren_S5, Shrek5, AdamZA and 1 other person
Update of the S/RS5 : Sorry guys still no sign of this in the school car park and we're running out of days, school finishes next Friday.

Lol, you need to get up early or camp out to get the pic. :) X

Reactions: Shrek5 and AdamZA
No worries Statler :p

Shrek I find it amusing how in your speedo pics the fuel is at 1/4. Makes me laugh as mine always seems to be almost empty too! Thirsty cars, aren't they!

Reactions: Shrek5
I almost thought about going back out and moving the DIS off the Trip 1 Average MPG... 11.9mpg. :whistle2:

Still that had improved from 11.4... In fairness it was a short journey from cold so it usually improves from that quite quickly. As I think we've all found 30+ is possible... just not much fun. ;)

Reactions: AdamZA
Actually I saw the DIS 1 as well and thought to myself that I always get around 18-20! You must enjoy your car more than I do :p

If I ever see 30+ mpg on the DIS I jump for joy it is such a rare event :)

Actually I saw the DIS 1 as well and thought to myself that I always get around 18-20! You must enjoy your car more than I do :p

18-20 is more usual, this was just a first trip out barely up to temperature... Honest!

Reactions: Snake Pliskin
If I ever see 30+ mpg on the DIS I jump for joy it is such a rare event :)

This is why I wouldn't mind COD to be honest. We don't always need to drive the car to it's capacity. If it was possible I would have a map putting out 200bhp switchable to a stock and then performance mode.

I know it defeats the purpose of buying a sports car but still!

Shrek, sure ;)

Reactions: Snake Pliskin and Shrek5

I was super-vigilant but unfortunately the car did not re-appear. My eldest tells me it's an RS5 in 'light blue' (his words) so I'm not sure what the colour is. Sorry Adam..

I was super-vigilant but unfortunately the car did not re-appear. My eldest tells me it's an RS5 in 'light blue' (his words) so I'm not sure what the colour is. Sorry Adam..

Lol it's ok my friend :) I don't mind going into this blind - it will make seeing it for the first time even more memorable and special.

Not too long for us to go now. Well, actually it's ages but let's pretend the time will go quickly

Sounds really familiar, Sandra! Was this used in a Nissan Juke advert? lol

On that note - damn that car is hideous! Sorry if that offends anyone! Just my opinion :p

Not that im aware of Adam:) x

Sounds really familiar, Sandra! Was this used in a Nissan Juke advert? lol

On that note - damn that car is hideous! Sorry if that offends anyone! Just my opinion :p

It makes my eyes burn and my brain ache to think that people buy one of those pieces of s**t with hard earned cash. I'd rather burn the money on a bonfire or use crisp £20 notes to wipe my **** (to the tune of 20 odd grand or whatever they cost) as I really dislike it's looks. I drove one for a week as a hire care from Enterprise and when I returned it the girl on the desk expected me to be gushing about it. I was similarly complementary about it to her which killed the conversation dead. These mini urban pumped cruiser type tin pots just bewilder me. If ever I buy one my wife has permission to have me committed without redress.

Reactions: DAYTONA 500, Statler, Sandra and 1 other person
It makes my eyes burn and my brain ache to think that people buy one of those pieces of s**t with hard earned cash. I'd rather burn the money on a bonfire of use crisp £20 notes to wipe my **** (to the tune of 20 odd grand or whatever they cost) as I really dislike it's looks. I drove one for a week as a hire care from Enterprise and when I returned it the girl on the desk expected me to be gushing about it. I was similarly complementary about it to her which killed the conversation dead. These mini urban pumped cruiser type tin pots just bewilder me. If ever I buy one my wife has permission to have me committed without redress.

If you ever buy one, your wife has my permission to totally disown you, lol. :) x

Reactions: warren_S5 and AdamZA
ha ha lol ........... I hate the Juke's with a passion too - call then Nissan Joke's :)

IMO ... Nissan are a brand like Toyota - they used to make some desirable / fast cars back in the day - now they just churn out $hit !

My Nissan 350z was the icing on the cake - absolute rubbish car / quality / dealership and seeing as it was always in the garage the whole experience was a miserable one - and that was a brand new car too (in 2005).

Hmmm fair point !

but tbh I would never put my own money on another Nissan - if I had GTR money I would buy something like an RS Audi / AMG Merc / BMW M3 ...... would not trust the Nissan quality / Dealerships for one and god knows what the residuals would be like ?

Residuals are not that great - and yes I agree I would also buy an RSx, Mx etc over a GTR. Though I don't think I would buy a Merc. They have amazing engines but I just don't get on with them!

I regularly pitch the question to people who own them as to why would you buy one over an estate, and I never really get what I consider to be a wholesome answer. On multiple forums (inc. recently on an RSQ3 thread) I've asked why buy it over an estate/avant (which costs less, looks better, is more economical, is arguable more practical, has lower C02 etc...), and if I'm lucky I'll get some spin about liking the high driving position or making them feel safe yada yada.

My folks live on a mountain that would tear the exhaust off of a standard car. The roads aren't publicly listed (so aren't tarmac covered), so I can get owning a 4x4 for that scenario as the vehicle has the sh*t kicked out of it every day. But in suburban middle england?????? OK they might ride the kerbs better than my car but when I think of all those micro Mini Countryman, Nissan Juke, Nissan Gashquai, Toyota Urban Cruiser(????) type cars it just makes my pants turn beige and corduroy, my gentleman vegetables shrink and recoil into my midrift, and makes me want to go and sit in the middle or outside lane of every motorway at 69mph.

I'm happy to be proved wrong, but until such time I just view them as an anomaly in the force!

Reactions: Shiftingsideways and AdamZA
Merc is the only brand of the three I have never tried.

I considered the A45 AMG prior to ordering the S5, but when I saw the car and sat in one, I could not see where my £45k was going at all so did not even get as far as a test drive.

Went straight to Audi from the Merc garage and IMMEDIATELY could see where my money was going - the S5 just ooozed quality and felt a world apart from the Merc - test drive shortly after (with BIG grins) and the rest is history :)

That's exactly my point - with Mercs I can never see why they cost so much. Even the interior on the E class is cheap plastic and why on earth a million and one buttons are needed on the centre console is beyond me.

Audi, to me, out of all the German options are by far the best in terms of quality and refinement.

Reactions: Snake Pliskin
Would take a LOT to break me away from Audi now tbh ... but don't tell my Dealer that :)

Reactions: AdamZA and Shrek5
It would take a Maserati Gran Turismo V8 MC Strade to shift me out of an Audi..... or maybe a Gayman GTS.

I'm going to go out on a limb here... I actually think the Juke is 'kinda funky'... which probably means it isn't but hey ho. Personally it's not the motor for me but if wifey dearest was interested in one I wouldn't try particularly hard to dissuade her. Plus the Nismo version looked good fun (although to be fair that colour/photo angle combo don't do it any favours!).

Similarly people with 4x4's, they're not for me, BUT when the missus decided to get the Q5 I was expecting to hate it... and you know what... I didn't. I hate the spec but that's because my wife is happy with the poverty spec and doesn't like any gadgets (or as far as she's concerned "witchcraft"), but if it had been S-Line trim, a few toys and the built-in nav, with the 3.0TDi I could see myself being happy with it as a second car. Admittedly if everyone went out and bought one it would be a bit pointless but cruising on the motorway is actually made a bit easier because you can see that bit further ahead.

Asking people why they bought one... well why the hell not? Why did we buy A/S/RS5's? Because it fitted in with some image or desires about what we want to project. Even buying an econo-box because you aren't interested is saying something about you. So I'm kind of a live and let live kind of guy as far as cars are concerned, because if people didn't buy cars to say something about themselves then we'd all be driving Dacia Sandero's around, which in turn would say something about us... but anyway.

There aren't many cars I haven't been able to think of any redeeming features - even a badly battered Nissan Note with wonky steering that was a holiday hire had a surprisingly large boot!

Reactions: markyy and warren_S5
Interesting Shrek. To be honest (and I wouldn't scream this from the rooftops), I don't so much mind the bigger ones, I just wouldn't buy one unless the roads dictated I needed one, and then it would probably be a petrol V engined Range Rover. The small ones (to my eyes) are just hideous. I like minimalist design (give me art installations by Richard Wilson / Huf Houses / Mondrian paintings and Scandic furniture please!) so the plethora of conflicting lines on these odd shaped tubs just tortures my OCD which hankers after order and symmetry! I can accommodate aggressive design influences (e.g. in an RS / AMG black series kind of way), but these things look layered and clumsy like they have tried to incorporate the best of what the designers felt they could lift from other brands. Therefore I just couldn't pay tens of thousands of pounds for something that I didn't find remotely attractive.

That said I warmly welcome and promote the fact we all have our spectrum of different views as I'd hate the world to be samey (a la 'Hollister/Superdry' clones!). My families garages have been littered with various favours of SUV over the years and I've not been in one I like to date. Even the 3.0TDi Quattro Q7 I had as a loaner from Audi when my 1st S3's diff went south wasn't up to much, so I'm not sure I'd like the big ones either. They are only actually fun to me when you drive them off road. (I refused a drive of the ML AMG at Brooklands on their experience day as I just thought it would be a waste of half an hour of my life!). However get a Defender on a dirt track with steep muddy inclines and the argument starts to wash with me (which I can't see a Juke lasting 2 minutes on - and therein may lie the key for me, it's a pretender).

On the same day I ordered my S5, I also ordered a Juke for Mrs Markyy. She loves them and this will be her 3rd. When she found out how much the S5 cost she asked "what do you get for that much" I mentioned the 3.0 Supercharged V6 which made her eyes glaze ever so slightly and when I started lsiting all the 'tech' I realised that the only things on the S5 that she won't have are the memory seats and the 'wifi'
It also has a huge advantage over the S5...
I can park it in the supermarket carpark without going back out to check on it every 6 minutes. Plus I know some tool won't park their ( insert boy racer mobile of your choice here ) 2 inches off my door just to try and prove a point.

Reactions: warren_S5 and Shrek5
Absolutely agree that most of these things are pretenders, and again personally I agree with your point about not having one unless I actually needed it. As you say an off-roader off road is an absolute hoot. On the road not so much - but the Q5 (in poverty spec, did I mention that already?) is a comfortable easy drive. I actually looked at an Evoke when looking at my next car (i.e. before the S5) and I thought the lines of that were a bit over designed IMHO and even the top engine lacked the punch a 3.0TDi engine would have given it. But then I guess it's mainly yummy mummy's and trendy type that are the target there...:shrug:

I think if I was in the market for off-road sized wafter it would probably be an RR of some sort.

In terms of cars I don't get at the moment... the RSQ3 is one, just don't understand it at all, an RS3 sure, a Q3 sure (not my cup of tea but again yummy mummies type thing) but the RSQ3... The SQ5 is almost in the same bracket, but at least you could argue it's diesel and has economy on its side (but then why buy an 'S' if that's what you are thinking). With the SQ5 I haven't looked into it but I assume if you fully loaded a Q5 3.0TDi it would cost less than an entry SQ5 and would be all you could need... surely?

I think it's a Salmon Pink Honda Jazz I see around here... that quite offends me. Who looked at that car/colour combo and thought "Yes! That's the car for me."

Cars I think that capture the moment, the BMW135M coupe (as was - now 2'series), plus I really like the A/S3 saloon shape, I think for the same reasons as the 2-series BMW. The Merc A Class also looks right - although never been in one. Cayman is also the Porsche I'd go for, IMHO a lot of the bravado of the 911 is it's reputation but it doesn't do it for me.

Anyway... rambling on... again... :whistle2:

Reactions: warren_S5
On the same day I ordered my S5, I also ordered a Juke for Mrs Markyy. She loves them and this will be her 3rd. When she found out how much the S5 cost she asked "what do you get for that much" I mentioned the 3.0 Supercharged V6 which made her eyes glaze ever so slightly and when I started lsiting all the 'tech' I realised that the only things on the S5 that she won't have are the memory seats and the 'wifi'
It also has a huge advantage over the S5...
I can park it in the supermarket carpark without going back out to check on it every 6 minutes. Plus I know some tool won't park their ( insert boy racer mobile of your choice here ) 2 inches off my door just to try and prove a point.

I think that sums up the difference between me and my other half, I like the toys and the performance and the low down position. She basically hates that, except maybe the performance, but she won't pay for it so happy to tootle about in a 2.0TDi or whatever. I tried to explain to her the in car WiFi.... pretty sure she thought there was some witch craft going on.

Reactions: warren_S5 and markyy
Sandra, with my tune and this one, I'm 16 again... and that wasn't yesterday :yes:

Shrek, Mrs Statler is considering the Evoke/Evoque? as a Jag replacement. She likes comfort/toys and looks but doesn't do the whole sporty thing...
I'm struggling with the gutteral spitting you have to do when pronouncing the name though... ;-0

The next Freelander, the Discovery Sport may be an option for her, easier on the throat too, lol

Reactions: Sandra
Sorry guys its been an insanely busy few weeks!

Just thought I would share my excitement in saying...

IT'S BUILD WEEK THIS WEEK :D

Aaand that's all the time I have to post unfortunately!

Reactions: warren_S5, Snake Pliskin, Shrek5 and 2 others

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice update! That's come round quickly, well for me it has... maybe not so much for you. ;)

Reactions: AdamZA and Snake Pliskin
Nice update! That's come round quickly, well for me it has... maybe not so much for you. ;)

ha ha .... yeah - really don't know what all this waiting talk & fuss is all about :laugh:

Reactions: AdamZA, warren_S5, Shrek5 and 1 other person
Hope Eddie Stobart has got his sh*t together on the delivery front. Won't be long before you're rolling!

To be honest: with how busy I've been recently and the fact that I'm already in a new S5, the time has been going quickly! However whenever I stop to think of how great the car I'm picking up will be (which must have now been BUILT :D {it exists! Woo!}) then I quickly become impatient to pick it up!

I've decided to do the midnight handover on 1st September and pick the car up on a 64 plate. Watford Audi have food, drink and entertainment so it's something i'd like to experience! Private plate will go on in February or something.

Great. Now I'm thinking about it again. Now I can't wait. Thanks guys :p

Reactions: markyy and Shrek5