Actual mileage different from advertised

Jtaylor

Reaction score
So bought my S3 without actually seeing it advertised mileage was 7,784 when I got it home I noticed the actual mileage to be more like 8,500 when I picked it up. Now I'm going back to the dealer today to get a chip sorted. Should I be bothered about the difference in mileage? Mention it? Should I be looking for some financial goodwill?

700 miles isn't that much in the grand scheme of things, but yes, I do think you should say something. They advertised a fact about the car, and it turned out to be inaccurate. You should definitely angle to get something from them.

It's 10% over so I would mention it. That's a lot of test drives since they put it on the market!
Have an idea in your mind of what compensation you would like. But don't expect a vast amount. I bet you would have bought the car for the same amount if the true mileage had been advertised.

Use words like, disappointed, mis-led, and say it's tarnished a great experience. Ultimately you did accept the car at the time and also you've bought it. Salesmen won't really care so speak to business manager or failing that the DP. Best of luck.

Reactions: Minion Bob!
That's a pretty small discrepancy, but it depends most on what your order form mileage is listed as, and is it signed?

If it's 8,500 and you've signed it then there will be little you can do, if it's 7,784 or is unsigned you might get somewhere.

The discrepancy is likely to be between the mileage when they appraised the car/did the deal and when it actually came in, rather than 800 miles of test drives.

Tbh I'm not gonna kick up a massive fuss over it I may mention it in passing and gauge their reaction

Same happened to me. The ad said 3000, the salesman's paperwork said 2500 but the car had done 4000. I was offered £150 worth of audi accessories but pushed it to a £250 set of roof bars that I have yet to use.
Mark

Don't they have a disclaimer on the advertised mileage? Basically saying the mileage listed may not actually be accurate.

Reactions: Darren92
I haven't mentioned it. I would of still bought the car regardless of the difference in mileage. They've also been very impressive fixing tiny tiny stone chips after I took delivery (they were the ones to point them out, I couldn't even see em). Much better than last time when I bought the last s3 and as soon as I put my deposit down they didn't want to know and I had to chase them up again and again. Nothing but helpful this time.