Active Lane Assist not working ?

Eurostar

Reaction score
Recently bought a new S4 (2020 model). I have the 'Driver Assistance Pack Tour'.

The 'Adaptive Cruise Control with Stop & Go' works as expected.

I cannot get 'Active Lane Assist' to work and I not convinced 'Traffic-jam assist' controls the steering when required.

Any ideas ?

As a point of note I don’t have the ‘Driver Assistance Pack’ but my car does have a feature that keeps the car in lane. It’s an option you can scroll to when looking at the computer section (rather than navigation, phone or media in the MMI).

I’ve never tried it. The dealer said it works on 2 or 3 lane roads. Select it and it apparently stops you going out of the lane. Was going to first try it on an empty 3 lane road but can’t find one I the UK. :yahoo:

Reactions: spartacus 68
It's set under Car > Driver Assist > Audi Active Lane Assist. I've only tried it on the M4 (3-lane motorway)

I've set the 'steering input' to Early and the 'vibration warning' is also set.

I’ll give it a try. My car steering wheel vibrated and the car applied the brakes and the virtual cockpit gave a stern warning when there was a stopped vehicle ahead recently so some elements of the safety system do already work for me.

The car will follow the car in front in, keeping its distance automatically. If you change lanes, say into an empty lane it will alter its speed to the set speed (as Soot1e suggested).
If a car cuts in the car will slow, as necessary, and can get a bit noisy (as WarickBoy indicated).

But I cannot get it to use the active lane function - instead of the normal white you should get coloured lines and the car should try to stay in the lane by self steering. see extract from manual (page 157):

Audi Active Lane

Reactions: WarwickBoy
The lane assist isn’t very good on local roads and really works best on motorways and major roads. I would test it on one of those. As said above pull up the screen for assist and see if the Lane markings in the virtual cockpit change colour.

The active lane control is turned on/off via the button on the end of the Indicator Stalk, not to be confused with the button on the ACC Stalk. If the lane marking icon is displayed in white on the virtual cockpit this will turn to green when turned on. If you have ACC turned on with a speed set and you are in a slow moving queue of traffic, the Traffic Jam Assist icon will appear (page 154 in manual)

Reactions: Eurostar and WarwickBoy
If you don't specify ‘Driver Assistance Pack’ I think you just get something called "Driver Assist" rather than 'Active Lane Assist" which gives you a similar display. I'm not sure how it works and what is does. It does not seem to be mentioned in the manual. Perhaps it is just the system that warns you of collisions with loud bells and vibration I mentioned earlier?

In a model without 'Driver Assistance Pack' it seems Under Car > Driver Assist you do not get an 'Audi Active Lane Assist' option setting, just the following options (see photo below)
- Speed warning
- Audi pre-sense (which auto re-enables every time the car is started)
- Rest Recommendation

Upload 2020 1 24 19 48 27

Upload 2020 1 24 19 55 29

The only thing under Driver Assist without any of the packs is economy advice if enabled. When you see the green foot on the accelerator (meaning remove your foot from the accelerator) it'll tell you why. Normally a speed limit change but sometimes a roundabout or junction.

The active lane control is turned on/off via the button on the end of the Indicator Stalk, not to be confused with the button on the ACC Stalk. If the lane marking icon is displayed in white on the virtual cockpit this will turn to green when turned on. If you have ACC turned on with a speed set and you are in a slow moving queue of traffic, the Traffic Jam Assist icon will appear (page 154 in manual)

Thank you Soot1e the button at on the indicator stalk switches the 'active lane assist' on and off.

It works well, but its a little unnerving at the start till you get a level of confidence in it.

If there isn’t a button at the end of the indicator stalk does it need enabling in vcds? I have an a4 avant 70 plate as a courtesy car but the Lane assist doesn’t come on even though I can see the screen in virtual cockpit?
In my A5 it just activates itself when going over 40mph.
It’s a nice to have especially with long distance drives.