Facelift Activate Google Earth view without Audi connect

Tuttivini

Reaction score
My Audi Connect account expired (facelift A3 E-Tron 07-2017) and actually don't need the functions it offered.
Only think I 'miss' is the Google sattelite view in my virtual cockpit (only because it looks so nice. In terms of navigation details, the standard colored rendering is better).

Would it be possible to re-activate this (for free)?
My A3 E-Tron has a build-in LTE sim. But I guess I need an external sim with data subscription this time?

This is a description which I found:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Google Earth activation with data from SIM on Audi
Normally if you try to enable Google Earth View you will be asked to log in to your Audi Connect account. Audi Connect facilitates access to many services, such as weather conditions, automatic navigation map updates, online news, fuel prices and so on (the full list can be found here ), but the Audi Connect subscription costs and this article is for those who do not need all the services and want to get rid of Audi Connect from MMI

I read that some people have received Audi Connect for free in the first 3 years after the purchase of the car. I do not know if it was an offer from some dealers or if it offered Audi to all cars once, it is certain that he told me that I had the license expired, even though when I got the car I could log in and update the map without to have my SIM in the torpedo.

The prices for Audi Connect differ from country to country. For example in the US it costs somewhere at $ 99/6 months for 5GB of traffic and in the UK I saw a cost of 20lbs / month. I have not yet received a response from the representation with prices in Romania, I will update in the future.

I liked the idea of having Google Earth View on the navigation map. I dug a little in this direction and discovered how to do it. I made the change on the A4 B9, but it sure goes on other models of the same generation.

How do you enable Google Earth View?
First of all you should have a SIM inserted in the torpedo unit and make sure you have an active internet option. Attention, the SIM is a big, normal one. Do not insert mini or nano SIM.

VCDS coding procedure:
In order for the map to use the cellular data on the torpedo card, without the need for a subscription, Audi Connect from the MMI must be deactivated, and for this I used a VCDS 18.9 interface, I entered the module 5F - Adaptation 10 - in the field of Search I wrote remote - I selected the remote_hmi channel - I set it to OFF - then Do it! . Normally this channel should have ON when you first enter it.

After you make this change, you need to reset the MMI by pressing the big middle button on the center console, at the same time with NAV / MAP and RADIO . Hold all 3 buttons pressed for a few seconds, then release. Navigation will restart, and then you can enter MAP in Settings and set Google Earth view. In the bottom right corner, under the Google logo, a loading bar will appear, it will take a while until it loads its map.

What SIMs I use and how much internet traffic Google Earth consumes
I use a card from Digi with an option of 2 Euro, valid for 3 months with 2GB of internet traffic included. Considering that in 3 months of days I consumed almost 1GB of traffic with the map, I consider it the most convenient option. Plus I have Wifi in the guest car se I find it useful if you have children and tablets that require a net connection.

To see exactly how much internet you are consuming in a certain amount of time, you can reset the Data usage meter in the settings.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Would this work?
And if this would work, do I need a software update, so it is going to use the new 'MAXAR maps' instead of the 'Google maps'? (because Audi is ending the contract with Google)
like discussed in this topic: https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/bye-bye-google-satellite-overlay.421012/

It's all so vague to me...

I would at this point just give up on the Audi implementation, it’s a shame you can’t have maps it the virtual cockpit anymore, and Apple CarPlay can’t be seen in the dash....

Does the remote climate control and lock status work on the e-tron with the settings you have enabled ? I have been told these services will all work without the subscription as the are separate from Audi Connect

But really the system is terrible compared to Waze, Maps, or Google Maps.

I have been offered a free upgrade to the new mapping when my car goes in for service next ....

Really what would be interesting is getting Apple CarPlay on the Virtual Cockpit like the TT has

I haven't 'enabled' the above settings yet.
Remote climate control, lock status, etc still work. Indeed, those services work without subscription and I use the MyAudi app almost every day (pre-heating, pre-airconditioning, etc).

Apple Carplay or Android auto in VC would be the ultimate solution!
(I use Android. Downside is I need to connect my phone -usb wired. Not wireless possible, as with Apple (if I understand correctly).

@DJAlix is this possible with the latest MIB2 update applied using your own data sim, will it allow satallite overlay or is that a license thing locked into Audi Connect subscription? Just curious ;)

Need a valid subscription. While “data” is needed, via embedded or your own sim, you won’t be allowed to use satellite view without a valid licence is what I have experienced so far.

Need a valid subscription. While “data” is needed, via embedded or your own sim, you won’t be allowed to use satellite view without a valid licence is what I have experienced so far.

Have you ever been able to get get Apple Carplay on the VC like a TT in an A3 8v ?