Acoustic Windscreen

DarGri

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've discussed this in a previous thread after a breakdown, but briefly it was relating to the new A4 being prone to stone chips.

The windscreen was replaced and calibrated etc after only covering about 3k miles..

The car has now done just under 6k miles and the screen is cracked again..

As I've said before, I covered 70k in my 8.5 Avant over 3 years and got hit by a few belt era but never suffered so much as a chip. This new crack just appeared out of the blue overnight.

That's not good.

Is the mark at the top a stone chip? I wonder if there is a more underlying problem here?

A car my dad had was prone to body twist and would stress the windscreens which would then fail without warning, if I remember that was a Japanese import Nissan in the 80's.

That said perhaps it's just bad luck. My wife had a new Clio which ended up having the dashboard replaced twice in the first 6 months of ownership. It's been fine for the following three and a half years we've had it.

Any feedback from Audi?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That's not good.

Is the mark at the top a stone chip? I wonder if there is a more underlying problem here?

A car my dad had was prone to body twist and would stress the windscreens which would then fail without warning, if I remember that was a Japanese import Nissan in the 80's.

That said perhaps it's just bad luck. My wife had a new Clio which ended up having the dashboard replaced twice in the first 6 months of ownership. It's been fine for the following three and a half years we've had it.

Any feedback from Audi?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yeah it seems to be a small chip about the size of pin head, most likely on a stress point but even so I'd expect the screen to be more resilient. Looking closely at it the glass does seem awfully thin.

Nothing from Audi as with it being a company car it goes straight to National Windscreens, however I've advised the fleet company to approach Audi UK for more info.

Perhaps the replacement screen wasn't fitted correctly. No other reports of screens failing so I wouldn't panic just yet. My A3 has a accoustic screen and its still the original...

Hell what do we know, one reported cracked screen is all we have so lets not go into 'they're everywhere' mode. Larger versions of the same are fitted to other Audi's with no reported issues.
I can empathise with the theory of wanting to blame something but it all could just be down to bad luck..

Reactions: Kestrel and Brasso
Hard to see how that could "just appear overnight" at this time of year. I did have a screen crack overnight after a (very bad, like 5mm diameter with some starring) stone chip once on my B8 but that was when it was parked up outside on New Year's Eve and it went down to about -6, so I always figured it was temperature-related. Was the replacement definitely OEM? And are you sure the local kids haven't bashed anything off the windscreen?

Ok, for a start I get the impression that the tone of this post has been misinterpreted, I'm not suggesting that "They're everywhere"..

Nor am I suggesting that the crack in the screen magically appeared out of thin air, just that at no point recently have I seen or heard anything go near the screen with enough force to create a 12-14" crack.

I've been on the road in various cars/vans/lorries for the last 20 years and never needed a screen replaced, nor had one cracked within a few months.

The one fitted is 100% oem as there's no pattern parts as yet (as of the last screen replacement), my reference to a stress point was directed at the possibility that the screen had been incorrectly fitted btw, but could be inherant or manufactured.

At the end of the day I'm trying to highlight what could turn out to be a recall issue with the B9 because amongst other things, is that not what we're here for ?

I'm lucky in that there's no cost to me with it being a company car, those of us that are digging into our own pockets for these cars and the repairs may appreciate the heads up at £1500 a pop.

*All prices are approximate, other vehicles and screens are available, no liability is intended or accepted at time of going to print, beer may have been involved*

Reactions: scotty76
We weren't being critical (well, I wasn't anyway and I don't think cuke was either), just looking at other possible angles on the problem than the screen having a design flaw. Sorry if it came across that way.

I don't think the length of time has anything to do with it, I've been motoring a similar time to you and never needed a screen repair or replacement until after I'd had my B8 for 3 years, then I needed 2 within a year of each other, then didn't need another between then and when I sold it. It's random I think.

IIRC from the other thread your replacement was fitted by National Windscreens, wasn't it? Maybe worth seeing if there is a pattern there if others report the same thing. I know you're not paying for yours but if it was a private individual and there was no external marks etc. to indicate an impact that could have caused the crack, wouldn't it be warrantied by the installer / manufacturer? Also, as I asked above is it possible some kid has been bashing something off the screen?

p.s. It looks from the photos as if the crack runs down the edge of where the mirror/camera assembly is attached (glued to the screen, presumably?). Maybe that wasn't fitted correctly in some way?

Yes I certainly was not intending my posts to be critical in any shape or form, and I apologise if my posts came across in this manner.
Indeed this could need looking at but there are factors to be taken into account, new screen fitted, might have been fitted in a way that put it under stress, was it a proper audi screen? Etc., etc.
I am just erring on the side of caution...

I've had my A4 saloon since the beginning of September and done just over 4,000 miles. Today, a stone was thrown up by a passing van and hit my windscreen leaving a chip which starred out to about the size of a 2p piece. I left the car parked and returned to find a crack a foot long running through the chip across the windscreen. It's being repaired by Autoglass on Saturday. I do about 35,000 miles a year so I suppose I have more chance of stone damage than most. That said, I've only had it happen once before on another car. I'll keep an open mind, but I do wonder whether A4's screens are prone to this.

Reactions: DarGri
Funny, my 2 month old screen has just done the same and is in exactly the same position as the OP. Feintest of stone chip at the top of the crack, and by feint, I mean really feint. More of a 1mm scuff. Crack didn't appear whilst out on the road, but as above, appeared overnight.

Autoglass coming on Tuesday with OE glass (no others available yet), booked into the dealers a week later for camera, matrix calibration. Luckily Direct line are covering all the costs, as Audi are charging £450 plus VAT for the calibration!

£450 for calibrating the camera etc. is taking the mick. I ended up going to Autoglass in Bedford for the replacement and calibration at the same time. They quoted me £34.50 for the calibration, if I had had that done separately. They did a superb job and you would never know that it wasn't the original windscreen.

Not sure that's correct. Only Audi glass is available at the mo. No pattern screens are available. Autoglass quoted me £250 for calibration, but are unable to calibrate the matrix lights at the same time.

I would check its been done properly!

My new one is an Audi OEM windscreen. Autoglass weren't able to calibrate it if they had fitted it at my home and so I had the option of going to their units at either Coalville or Bedford. At the minute, they only offer the calibration service on differing days of the week, depending where you go. As far as I can tell, all of my previous functionality works exactly as it did with the old windscreen. Matrix works as expected and the lights and wipers come on when they should. The only thing I haven't been able to test, because I haven't had a near miss, is Pre-sense braking. Having said that, I was told at the time that that was all part of the calibration process.

The plot thickens. Spoke to another dealer, they are quoting £60 diagnostic then an hourly rate if anything needs adjusting, which they say often doesn't need doing. I then spoke to Audi UK and they have advised the screen doesn't need calibrating at all! Despite having Matrix and pre sense, only if you have adaptive cruise is when the screen needs calibrating.... does that sound correct? Something in my mind says that the cameras for Matrix are in the light clusters....?

But would it need calibrating? I can't understand how different people in the same company are giving different answers and prices. It's ridiculous

Inverted, did you ever find out if the camera needed calibration? i have a replacement booked for the windscreen but unsure if the camera needs recalibrated for the matrix lights, I only have that option and the standard pre sense, i was under the impression it was only when you had the lane assist etc that the camera calibration was required

Reactions: Inverted
Hi,

Yup, it does. I spoke to the master tech about it. Mine needed minimal adjustment, so in the end "only" cost £60. 9 times out of 10 little needs adjusting afterwards, but they need to cover themselves, and it's the only way they can gurantee the operation of pre sense. It's a requirement of the warranties. My Matrix have been fine until recently, where it seems they have a mind of their own. Sometimes they work faultlessly, other times they've dazzled oncoming drivers. Odd.

Thanks for the quick response! I'll have to call autoglass back and book it in to the workshop to get the camera checked, was just going to get the windscreen done at home but they can't do the calibration out of the workshop. Infortunetly both autoglass and Audi Center's with the equipment are 100 miles from me!!
Thanks again

No problems. To be honest, it maybe worth calling your Audi workshop. When I had mine done the info was very confused and disjointed. They may have clarified by now. They should be able to advise over the phone

As it happens, had my first chip and 4mm crack on the way home today. Will be making the phone call tomorrow

Hi All,

Regardless of what Audi or 3rd party fitters claim, check with your insurers as to what THEIR requirements are regarding certification of calibration and the subsequent effect on insurance cover..

Even if Audi/3rd party say it's fine and doesn't need calibrating, your insurer may require the certificate anyway as belt n braces. And at the end of the day they have the last word.

FYI, my current (3rd) windscreen seems to be holding up well... may or may not have anything to do with me going everywhere in reverse..

Reactions: Kestrel
I noticed a 1cm crack on the near side of my windscreen yesterday. The only thing that it could have been is a twig/small branch fell off a tree as I was driving into a supermarket car park on Saturday. It wasn't a massive log or anything and I'm surprised it did any damage TBH. Hopefully just bad luck and these few anecdotal reports are not a sign of a bigger problem?

I noticed a 1cm crack on the near side of my windscreen yesterday. The only thing that it could have been is a twig/small branch fell off a tree as I was driving into a supermarket car park on Saturday. It wasn't a massive log or anything and I'm surprised it did any damage TBH. Hopefully just bad luck and these few anecdotal reports are not a sign of a bigger problem?

"Anecdotal"

Do you work for Audi ?

FYI, were not knocking your fantastic Acoustic windscreens.. just seeking uhmm.. clarity!

FYI, my current (3rd) windscreen seems to be holding up well... may or may not have anything to do with me going everywhere in reverse..[/QUOTE]

LOVE that!

@DarGri - No I definitely don't work for Audi! Maybe anecdotal was the wrong word, but I meant a few of us reporting the same problem hopefully doesn't mean its a wider issue. I'm sure there are 1000's of others with the Acoustic screen with no problems and we have just been unfortunate.

My small crack overnight didn't budge, where I live we are open to the elements so get some good cold winds get the full force of the sun in the mornings so it was a decent test for it.

The insurance company directed me to Autoglass who pushed for a recalibration (however I'd need to go to Leicester to have it done) but Audi have told me that it doesn't need doing. I opted for a remote fix tomorrow without calibration, let's see if anything starts playing up...