Achieved the OEM DRL look..................I think!

boostisbest

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Hi all,

Well it's been a while since I've had time to come on here and give you an update. Family life and work does tend to take over sometimes! Anyway it's been almost a year since I bought my S3 8L and have always fancied fitting some DRL's to it. But what I wanted to avoid was the downgraded chavvy aftermarket look of the lamps that are available to buy. So I took the plunge, bought some descent Tube Led strips and took upon stripping down the original lamps and modding them myself. Now I know DRL's are not to everyone's taste on the older cars but I think these look pretty much in keeping with what Audi may have done at the time if they were a legal requirement like they are now.
Well here they are after 2 days work and alot of work! Hope you like.........................

Getting the bumper off was much easier than I thought...

The lenses came away quite easily too with some heat...

Next job was to remove the chrome trim and spray them satin black for a meaner look...

Now the first test fitment of the Led Tube with the newly sprayed trim...

And with the Lens back in place...

They also flash orange with the indicators which is very cool..

Now when I put the first one back on the car I wasn't happy with the way the strip sat. Something just wasn't right...

So on the other side I tried moving the Led Tube back a bit....

Now that looks just right!.....

So I took the other side apart again and made the necessary adjustments.
Pretty pleased with the results...

I have also upgraded with headlight bulbs to 6000k and fitted a HID conversion on the full beams. It is like driving a rally car through the lanes now! :thumbs up:

Reactions: Nilz, jojo, StaceyS3 and 1 other person
They look good…put your rings back to chrome now :D

Reactions: Nilz, Mrharris2 and boostisbest
Yes I may try that. The grille is plastidipped so I could easily peel the black off the rings

Not for me but good work.

Reactions: JonnyDerv and boostisbest
They look great. Awesome job.

Reactions: boostisbest
Nicely done fella, although I think they would look better if the tube stopped inline with the corner of the bonnet so they dont go up around the indicator but it still looks good though

Steve

Reactions: RickyB
Video please. Also as said it would look better if they didn't go round the indicators.

I will sort a video out. Have to agree to disagree on the curls round the indicators. I specifically wanted that

Impressive job mate. I think uve done a great job with that. Think I agree with the others on the curling round the indicator bit, something doesnt look just right I dont think. But as I say very tidy and great job. Would love to see the indicator!

Thanks for the positive comments guys. To be honest the curve around the indicators was dictated by the length of the strips but I think it outlines the edge of the lamps perfectly. It's hard to see that in the photos I suppose but it really works. It certainly turns heads too, especially when I indicate. You can see people double take lol. I will upload a video later today of how that looks. On a 12 hour night shift at the moment!

Reactions: Dani_B19 and s3_trev
Well done mate, they look really good, would also like to see a vid of the indicators.

Ok as promised, here is a little video of the lights in action :idea::idea:

Reactions: s3_trev, Nilz and Dani_B19
So are they wired into the ignition? Are they on all the time? Also you got a HID kit on the main beam?

Yes on all the time with ignition and main beam HID kit. If I had left indicator bulbs out I would need resistors as the led strips are zero load. I have bought LED indicator bulbs but they need load resistors as they flash too fast.

Reactions: jojo
Not going to lie, im pretty jealous, looks really good and avoids the ebay special look that most drl's have

That looks bada55 mate, im well impressed with what you have done there!!

Do you mind me asking how long it all took to do and what sort of costs too??

do they affect the beam pattern at all? Just wondering if the strips get in the way of the dipped/main beam

The whole thing took about 2 days work but I was being very careful. I could probably do it in half the time now I know where all the bolts go and how things sit. The DRL strips cost £39.99 and can be found here......http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Merc-TUBE...293?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item25a242136d
The HID Kit cost me £31.99 but there are plenty to choose from on ebay. To be honest I think I will be changing them to the new Cree LED type as the startup is too slow for headlamp flash. These have taken my fancy...http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/331430472818?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT
As for the beam pattern, they don't affect it at all as they sit right at the base of the reflectors :)
Connections are very convenient too. The DRL's can be powered from the ignition feeds to the headlamp leveling motors and the indicator/earth connections are obviously in the indicator bulb harness. All nice and close to the job so no running wires.

Reactions: Nilz
Thanks for the info @boostisbest ....and thats better with the rings too :)

Clearly not All 8l lovers! I'm glad you have an opinion though. How boring life would be if all 8l's were the same aye lol ;)

Reactions: jojo
Too right bud, do what pleases you and know one else, that's what really matters.

Why? Would you like to elaborate on that comment?
I wouldn't comment anything negative unnecessarily but you asked.
In daylight it looks like you've stuffed the headlights with Xmas rope lights.
At night it looks like any other old car that's trying to be modern with drls retro fitted, wrong.

Clearly tho I'm in the minority and people like it, so

Reactions: Ben jah min and westcoast a3
Like I said, you're entitled to your opinion, even if it's totally wrong and frankly dumb! I have had nothing but praise from people who have seen it in the metal. You clearly don't like car modification and individuality, two things which I am very passionate about. It's people like you that put people like me off joining forums! I appreciate the purists and that some simply do not like DRL's but to judge my work as you have is laughable. Have a nice day!

Always found Karl helpful, some people just don't like that sort of thing myself included, but still think you done a good job, each to their own n all that, lol :)

Reactions: superkarl
Sorre Im late had to get enough popcorn for all of us

Reactions: Nilz, A3-Lee, tomjol and 2 others
Like I said, you're entitled to your opinion, even if it's totally wrong and frankly dumb! I have had nothing but praise from people who have seen it in the metal. You clearly don't like car modification and individuality, two things which I am very passionate about. It's people like you that put people like me off joining forums! I appreciate the purists and that some simply do not like DRL's but to judge my work as you have is laughable. Have a nice day!
I think you may have took my comments out of context. I was trying to be respectful hence why my initial comment was my surprise at how well it was received.
And my reply to you was because you asked. I don't mean to offend, I'm not being rude.

Lol at 'you clearly don't like car modification'

And to add I didn't judge your work. Your work is commendable and I respect anyone who takes time to do something on their car, particularly something unique, that requires patience and a brain. So well done on that front

Reactions: Nilz and s3 Hoggy
Maybe I did take it out of context and if so my bad. I just thought I'd bring something fresh to the table. Something that no one as far as I know has done before. I understand we all have different ideas about what we like or what we think looks right or wrong. I personally despise black wheels for example. But I wouldn't say to someone who had lovingly adorned their pride and joy with them, "hey they look gash!". Anyway, not here to argue or provide popcornworthy entertainment. Just here to share my passion for cars and throw some ideas in the bag. So Karl let's put it down to misunderstanding and move on :)

Reactions: Nilz and superkarl
You can't beat a good argument, especially when it ends with all parties being friends, even if you are wrong about black wheels. :)

Reactions: boostisbest and superkarl
I hate it, but then I'm a stock-look obsessive. Excellent work dude, really nicely done :)

Really not my kind of thing, I only do oem looks but you've done a great job if that's what you're into