According to Halfords the rear wiper is for life!

sat1983

Reaction score
I'm fine with the front wipers but could not for the life of me get the rear wiper off (without forcing it) so asked for help in Halfords. The guy said they don't come off and only the rubber part can be changed. His explanation is that some do and some don't- i.e. another 52 plate like mine might be able to change the wiper but my car couldn't.

Heh?

Utter tosh. The blade will pull away from the arm with a little force. Assuming it's the standard "enclosed" sort of arm, just lift one end of the blade and continue levering it out of the arm.

Halfords tend to employ children. I saw this lad fitting some poor chaps stereo but it was just too painful to keep watching. The advice you receive from Halfords employees is random and spurious!

Reactions: Chrismawa
Mine's a 51 and has no problem unbolting the arm and also unclipping the blade. I discovered after a long trawl that I have a Q5 rear arm/blade though, btu shouldn;t make a difference.

I just did it myself with a bit of brute force. Went back to the same branch and he was at the till! I said that it could be taken off and he said' you sure you didn't do something you shouldn't have done'?

It's absolutely fine- said I.

You could tell he was a bit embarrassed...

To be fair to the teenagers that Halfords employ it is not their fault that they know only a little bit about cars and bicycles.

Not sticking up for the guy by any means as he clearly had no idea and cocked up, but it is quite easy to crack the glass when removing the metal which is why I'm always extra cautious when removing wipers (unless you just mean the blade in which case I have even less respect for the guy).

Reactions: BakPak
I did mean the wiper. Is it that easy to crack the glass? Did seem fool proof to me?

Thing is most country avant owners don't give a turkey about what's going on behind u.....