Accident Ahead

Jabba1980

Reaction score
So on the way home yesterday I got a warning tone and an image on the VC saying “Accident Ahead”, with what also looked like a gps/satellite symbol. The image only lasted a few seconds and then disappeared. Mine’s a 66 plate and I’ve never seen this before. Is it something new or have I just been lucky?

I have started getting warnings of cars broken down ahead, like you say only quickly on and have only had a couple of times

Interesting - not had this before. Were you using the Audi navigation with a planned route?

I’ve had mine re-route for traffic related delays before but not had a warning sign for this. I wonder if they are hooking into the Google / Waze accident warnings...

Audi’s are networked. If an Audi up ahead is involved in an accident or encounters dangerous conditions (as determined by various sensors on the car) it sends this information to the network and then other Audi’s in the vicinity are alerted.

It’s only on the current generation of cars.

Interesting - not had this before. Were you using the Audi navigation with a planned route?

I’ve had mine re-route for traffic related delays before but not had a warning sign for this. I wonder if they are hooking into the Google / Waze accident warnings...

Nope, audi navigation was not active. (Was just my normal commute home).

Just trying to google to see it I can find a screenshot of the warning message...

Audi’s are networked. If an Audi up ahead is involved in an accident or encounters dangerous conditions (as determined by various sensors on the car) it sends this information to the network and then other Audi’s in the vicinity are alerted.

It’s only on the current generation of cars.

Thanks - Thought this was the case, but I’ve never seen this before. Maybe I’ve just been lucky...or they are rolling out new features?

Nope, audi navigation was not active. (Was just my normal commute home).

Just trying to google to see it I can find a screenshot of the warning message...

I was curious if that’s why I have not seen it... have my commute programmed on shortcut buttons and always use nav so I am up to date with traffic conditions.

There's another thread on this subject, something like "random messages in VC' if memory serves me. Audis have Car to X technology. If an Audi breaks down and you make a call via the button in the roof, this flags the breakdown position for other drivers. Also the activation of wipers/fog lights etc. Can send messages about reduced visibility.

Reactions: Jabba1980
Thanks - Thought this was the case, but I’ve never seen this before. Maybe I’ve just been lucky...or they are rolling out new features?

No. Your car either has it or it doesn’t. Audi don’t roll out new features on existing cars over the air.

One other thought.. I believe it was some 16 plate models that got this but not 66 - do you have SOS in your car @Jabba1980 ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No. Your car either has it or it doesn’t. Audi don’t roll out new features on existing cars over the air.

Ok thanks. I was thinking if this is some sort of Audi connect feature rather than a change to the car itself?

Reactions: DaveW
I had a warning along the lines of 'Caution: feral goats ahead'. And there were... sat nav was active at the time and there was a also a road sign.

Its pretty accurate about traffic jams and such, so I suspect its getting a live feed from google maps and relaying any relevant information through. More likely an improvment in the real time data capability of the google maps service than an update to the cars systems.

I had a warning along the lines of 'Caution: feral goats ahead'. And there were... sat nav was active at the time and there was a also a road sign.

Its pretty accurate about traffic jams and such, so I suspect its getting a live feed from google maps and relaying any relevant information through. More likely an improvment in the real time data capability of the google maps service than an update to the cars systems.
Do you have the Tour Pack with Traffic Sign Recognition?

No, no road sign recognition. The sign was a little distance further down the road. I've been on that road before and it didn't have anything to say about it. Quite strange...

There was news a few weeks back about Google Maps now using Waze based traffic data. Perhaps the in built system is able to pick up a few of these new data paths?