Acceleration query

scoss

Reaction score
I have a 2.0 tdi with a stage 1.
I’ve noticed that when in 4th gear and doing 45/ 50 if i gradually put foot down on the accelerator I get a much better acceleration then if I were to floor it at this speed.
I have my throttle response set to dynamic if this would affect this in any way.
I know for optimal acceleration I’d drop it down to 3rd if doing this speed.

The car drives fine it’s just thing I’ve recently noticed.

Anyone explain why this is the case with 4th gear?

Is it not just the case that by gradually accelerating you know it's going to accelerate gradually.

While stamping on the throttle, you expect it to shoot off like a scolded cat?

Remember all modern cars are drive by wire, so there is always a delay in what your foot does, compared to what the car does. By gradually accelerating, there is less delay as you haven't just mashed it.

Could be many things causing that but more than likely something to do with the mapping. Where was the map done ?.

Could be many things causing that but more than likely something to do with the mapping. Where was the map done ?.

It’s a Revo map from a registered garage etc.
I know each gear has a sweet spot. To be honest 4th ideal spot is from 60/65 and onwards.

Is it not just the case that by gradually accelerating you know it's going to accelerate gradually.

While stamping on the throttle, you expect it to shoot off like a scolded cat?

Remember all modern cars are drive by wire, so there is always a delay in what your foot does, compared to what the car does. By gradually accelerating, there is less delay as you haven't just mashed it.

You might have a point. When in the correct gear it goes like it should. Like when doing 20mph in 2nd it’s quick as hell. 3rd and 50 and so on. I realise that flooring it in 4th whilst doing 50 is not going to get the same response when compared to the when I’m doing 70 in 4th.