ABT front bumper grill conversion info needed

Phil.MC

Reaction score
Hi there,

I'm collecting my 54 reg A3 2.0 TDi S line DSG tomorrow and really want to convert the two grill front end to a single using the ABT conversion that I've seen posted here a few times.

I've done various searches but still cannot find where to get a hold of this part, or even how much it costs. If anyone can help with info, or even if you have one for sale I'd be grateful :thumbsup:.

I've got a B6 A4 2.5 V6 TDi Quattro Sport at present, but have decided to get this A3 as a runaround as both the wife and I love the Audi and too often fight over who's relegated to using the Seat Ibiza FR!! I'll be sure to post up some good pics of it as soon as I can.

ABT dont sell them anymore, they were discontinued a few years ago.

Just keep an eye out on Ebay, i've seen them on there a few times.

I have the ABT grille thingy and to be honest for £139 you'd be better of with two chrome strips and a piece of vinyl (Even Carbon fiber vinyl if that tickles your fancy) and do the whole thing for less than a score plus it'd give exactly the same effect

I paid £45 of eBay about 5 years ago for mine and in all honesty you could be waiting another 5 years for them to come up!

Just my pennies worth.....

ABT dont sell them anymore, they were discontinued a few years ago.

Just keep an eye out on Ebay, i've seen them on there a few times.

Sorry!! when I looked for them they were discontinued, but they must of been brought back..

That's the very fella.......£139.00 incl vat.

It maybe ok for a diy job with a tin of paint and some chrome strip, but IMO this looks better and can be removed if required I suppose.

ABT Front Grille | ABT Sportsline | Audi A3 | A3 8P | Aerodynamics | abt-sportsline.co.uk

Cheers guys, will see about getting one.

Agree with Von Maximo just get two chrome strips, paint or wrap the centre part.
I wouldnt buy the ABT part myself there was a thread last year about it. Just do the mod yourself diy style or save up and do the single grille conversion looks much better, more oem and worth it in the long run. I have an 8P1 and done the 8P2 conversion only mod i do while i was deciding if i should was spray the split grilles. Best mod i have done if im honest. Plus still gonna see the single grille A3's and wish you done that instead of this mod.
Just my opinion though. Good luck and enjoy the car

Dont do it!

Because it looks *****? :ninja:

+1 :happy:

£139 spent on that is £139 that could have been spent on a single grille front end conversion. it's DEFINITELY not worth it.

to do the conversion dont you need a new bonnet, lights, front bumper etc? that would cost a packet!!

to do the conversion dont you need a new bonnet, lights, front bumper etc? that would cost a packet!!

8P1 to 8P2 = bumper, grille and bonnet. depending on which bumper you go for you don't even need to change the fogs or fog grilles

Try vinyl wrap.......
8P1b.jpg

that looks awesome mate! Can you provide me with a little more info about it ie prices/where to get the wrap from etc? Could be very tempted to do that!

2 rolls of this from ebay - BLACK MATT VINYL SHEET 1000MM X 610MM SELF ADHESIVE on eBay (end time 27-Feb-11 16:05:56 GMT)

1 of these squeegees from ebay - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=310267798904#ht_1395wt_905

And I used a paint stripper heat gun to warm the vinyl when needed and a Stanley breakaway knife from B&Q so less than £20 total would probably take 3 hours total in warmer weather

Undo 3 torx bolts to release the top of the grill, lift the 2 top corners and flex the grill forwards. Slide hand down behind and release tabs at either side and pull up 6 tabs at the bottom and will then just pull out (I did lose skin on back of hands though)

Bottom grill is really easy once top one is out.

It is best to remove the chrome surrounds from the grilles but you may break some of the chrome section tabs as they are quite brittle. Bottom one was easy to seperate, top one is a bit more tricky. One or 2 isn't a problem more than that and you may need to stick it back on

Forgot to say - clean thoroughly first as tar spots/etc will cause small air pockets under the vinyl and practice with the vinyl first. I messed up the first 2 attempts just learning what tolerance the vinyl had

It is best to remove the chrome surrounds from the grilles but you may break some of the chrome section tabs as they are quite brittle. Bottom one was easy to seperate, top one is a bit more tricky. One or 2 isn't a problem more than that and you may need to stick it back on
i did this too when i sprayed mine black i broke a few of them but it went back on fine

only thing id like to do different from the pic is have the chrome strips - can i get some that run down the middle section?

Because it looks *****? :ninja:
i have to agree with n8 on this one for £130 you could get a full frame bumper and grill for that off ebay just need to source a bonnet then hey presto you have the full frame front end job done thats exactly what im doing im not going to waste my money on something like that im going to save up and get the job done properly

Im well impressed with that 'munchkincoupe'. Looks mint! i'll give it a go once the weather improves

Thanks

I managed to get hold of a set of split grills with damaged black slats so I'm going to butcher them to get the chrome trims off and do an A1 job with the vinyl as the edges of the chrome on the top section aren't quite covered - you have to be up close to tell though!

only thing id like to do different from the pic is have the chrome strips - can i get some that run down the middle section?

Search Audi chrome trim on ebay and comes up with products that a few members have used - just get the right width!

Personally I wouldnt do it, IMHO they dont look good face up, save your money, get it done properly & you will be allot happier, as every one I've seen is blatantly obvious whats been done & looks tacky, remember its just a personal opinion.

do you have to tell insurance when you do full conversion ?

You should really tell them, i have not told mine. But thats im risk im willing to take. If you dont they wont pay for the same parts if you have an accident and just but the 8P1 front end back on. Thats if they let you claim, it all depends on what insurer you with really.

Any mods that you don't tell the insurance about will invalidate your insurance. If they find out about the mods it's an excuse not to pay out.

Any mods that you don't tell the insurance about will invalidate your insurance. If they find out about the mods it's an excuse not to pay out.

Thats where you would been wrong i've had two accident. First one needed a new RS6 alloy didnt declare them to my insurance Zurich at the time and they replaced it.
Second accident last year needed a new S3 front bumper,wing, fog surround, headlight and a few other bits. Not declared anything to Quinn Direct. QD & Helphire authorised repairs to my car. Both times the car been repaired at Audi.

It all depends on the insurance company, how strict there underwriters are with mods and what sort of mods they are. 100% any performance mods that are not delcared they wont cover and probably will void your policy and make you pay for any third party damage.
But cosmetic mods such as alloys and bumpers they dont rate them as a high risk and if they do cover the repairs to them they will ask you to pay the difference for how long you been insured without them knowning. This is just from my experience working for Directline and The Admiral Group.

Should have read "can invalidate" instead of "will invalidate", and it will still be an excuse not to pay out if they find out about it and don't like the mods.

mmmm im not lucky with these things so would worry me but if i were to fit 17s inch audi alloys to replace my sports i dont see how they could tell what came with the car when bought secondhand and yes i did say 17s lol

It is part of the Audi supplied Votex kit. The vinyl is easy to stretch into corners and bends if you heat it up. I used a paint stripping gun. Just make sure you get a bubble free type vinyl with the channels on the back as it helps to stop air getting trapped and these vinyls tend to be better quality too - cheaper normally means thinner which is easier to rip and chip. I had never worked vinyl before doing this front end either. I'm now carbon fibre wrapping internal door trims