AB's Sophisto Grey MY20 G01 BMW X3 M40i

Audi Bairn

Staff member
Reaction score
Here’s a brief review.
I didn’t bother test driving the BMW M40d as there were none available under the December deal.
The M40i was impressive. The sound alone from the 3.0 straight six and the M Performance exhaust was stunning on start up, daily driving, changing up and down at speed...... what a beast. This thing can shift.
The SQ5, which has now returned to diesel and unlike BMW there’s no petrol option, also has amazing performance only the power is delivered differently. The bit I’m not convinced by is the noise. It admittedly sounds powerful however the fake noise sounds too fake and I just couldn’t love it.
Also I never thought I’d see the day where I said I thought the BMW interior was better than the Audi one but it just seems better quality.
I won’t divulge person finance details but having been to BMW first on Saturday, and negotiating just under £10k discount on a fully loaded (other than pano roof) pre-built car, and the balance being on 2.9% APR I thought Audi would struggle to get near that deal. They did, but not by as much as I thought. They were offering me about £8k off and I reckon there was a bit more wriggle room if I’d been prepared to push the button today, which I wasn’t. It still ended up around £40 - £50 per month dearer over a 48 month PCP though.
Long story short, I’ve done a deal for the M40i but subject to the stock car they sourced being secured for me by this dealership.
@Bristle Hound amazingly for me this stock car also had the electronic tow bar fitted too!
So, if everything falls into place over the next couple of days my lengthy spell of Audi ownership will be coming to an end (although we’ll still have the TT for a wee while yet).
What was noticeable, although something we all knew anyway, is all the small bits where Audi are penny pinching by standardising parts and branding, BMW don’t appear to be doing so to that extent. All goes in cycles I guess.
Pretty sad to be leaving Audi as I always considered myself an Audi man but maybe it’s time for a change eh.

Last edited:
Reactions: NevMan, Snake Pliskin, SPIKE_ and 3 others
Here’s a brief review.
I didn’t bother test driving the BMW M40d as there were none available under the December deal.
The M40i was impressive. The sound alone from the 3.0 straight six and the M Performance exhaust was stunning on start up, daily driving, changing up and down at speed...... what a beast. This thing can shift.
The SQ5, which has now returned to diesel and unlike BMW there’s no petrol option, also has amazing performance only the power I’d delivered differently. The bit I’m not convinced by is the noise. It admittedly sounds powerful however the fake noise sounds too fake and I just couldn’t love it.
Also I never thought I’d see the day where I said I thought the BMW interior was better than the Audi one but it just seems better quality.
I won’t divulge person finance details but having been to BMW first on Saturday, and negotiating just under £10k discount on a fully loaded (other than pano roof) pre-built car, and the balance being on 2.9% APR I thought Audi would struggle to get near that deal. They did, but not by as much as I thought. They were offering me about £8k off and I reckon there was a bit more wriggle room if I’d been prepared to push the button today, which I wasn’t. It still ended up around £40 - £50 per month dearer over a 48 month PCP though.
Long story short, I’ve done a deal for the M40i but subject to the stock car they sourced being secured for me by this dealership.
@Bristle Hound amazingly for me this stock car also had the electronic tow bar fitted too!
So, if everything falls into place over the next couple of days my lengthy spell of Audi ownership will be coming to an end (although we’ll still have the TT for a wee while yet).
What was noticeable, although something we all knew anyway, is all the small bits where Audi are penny pinching by standardising parts and branding, BMW don’t appear to be doing so to that extent. All goes in cycles I guess.
Pretty sad to be leaving Audi as I always considers myself an Audi man but maybe it’s time for a change eh.

Need to change this forum name soon

Good stuff, but you forgot to tell us what colour!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: NevMan, Scotty75 and Audi Bairn
Congratulations on the new car .
What colour and when do you collect it ?

Reactions: Audi Bairn
Here’s a brief review.
The SQ5, which has now returned to diesel and unlike BMW there’s no petrol option, also has amazing performance only the power I’d delivered differently. The bit I’m not convinced by is the noise. It admittedly sounds powerful however the fake noise sounds too fake and I just couldn’t love it.
Pretty sad to be leaving Audi as I always considers myself an Audi man but maybe it’s time for a change eh.
@Audi Bairn - Well pleased for you mate. Nice one !
Another 'jump shipper' to the list
BMW must have sold shed loads of cars with their last 1/4 finance 2.9% finance deal

Great news for you about the tow bar, altho' I don't envy your fuel bill towing a caravan with that beast lol

Reactions: NevMan, Snake Pliskin, Audi Bairn and 1 other person
Need to change this forum name soon

Good stuff, but you forgot to tell us what colour!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s Sapphire Black Barry. Like I say though it just needs to be confirmed as reserved (had hoped I’d hear today but maybe they need to wait until Monday)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:
Reactions: NevMan, Snake Pliskin and BarryG79
Congratulations on the new car .
What colour and when do you collect it ?

Black and, if it’s confirmed as reserved for me, could have it in a couple of week mate

Reactions: Pinky1959, NevMan and Bristle Hound
@Audi Bairn - Well pleased for you mate. Nice one !
Another 'jump shipper' to the list
BMW must have sold shed loads of cars with their last 1/4 finance 2.9% finance deal

Great news for you about the tow bar, altho' I don't envy your fuel bill towing a caravan with that beast lol

Cheers mate! Yeah that deal was too good. As far as the fuel goes, I resort to my justification of anything that’s too expensive in saying you only live once lol

Reactions: NevMan, Snake Pliskin, Bristle Hound and 1 other person
Here’s a brief review.
Uugghhh ........ If only Audi would listen up . Seems the die hards are moving on and I can see why. You only need to compare a VW Golf to say an A3 . The VW's are specced better as standard. Shame really .

Congrats on the new Bimmer mate

Reactions: dantdi, Audi Bairn and NevMan
Cheers mate! Yeah that deal was too good. As far as the fuel goes, I resort to my justification of anything that’s too expensive in saying you only live once lol

@Audi Bairn - You got a fab deal there
Like you say you only live once. I’ll be interested in your mpg figures once you get your ‘van & start towing
Check your PM’s buddy ;)

Reactions: Audi Bairn and NevMan
Here’s a brief review.
It sounds like you made the correct decision @Audi Bairn. I can certainly see as to why these X3 are popular, and the finance deal is great. Funny, I remember signing up for our current A4 and the APR was 2.9% which I haven’t seen Audi do since, and was a big factor for me signing up!

Reactions: Audi Bairn, NevMan and Adam14
It’s Sapphire Black Barry. Like I say though it just needs to be confirmed as reserved (had hoped I’d here today but maybe they need to wait until Monday)

Congrats on the new car mate, BMW have had some cracking deals going round so don't blame you jumping ship, and what a ship to jump into! Proper machine that. Sure you'll enjoy it, my parents had an old X5 3.0d and can only imagine that's a fraction of what yours can do

Sent from my HD1913 using Tapatalk

Car looks great Col :thumbs up:

As you know from our chats I’m test driving today and will report back. Thanks for all your info including towing advice. That tow bar is great! Lol

I might also tap @X3man and @Jcbmally for thoughts. I’m at BMW today and Audi tomorrow.

love the ambient lighting and puddle lights matching the interior lights and mats etc.

Fire away any questions Brian :icon thumright:

Reactions: Audi Bairn and Snake Pliskin
Nice one Col...subscribed.

Looking forward to the...car secured from @Audi Bairn, and then some sneak peeks

Reactions: Audi Bairn and Bristle Hound
Slightly skew off topic, but I wonder how much brexit will sway these deals over the next year..?
P.s. sorry for bringing the B word up.
It's just I see a lot of cracking deals on here lately, albeit BMW actually, and I wonder if/when that bubble will burst regarding new car purchases.

Uugghhh ........ If only Audi would listen up . Seems the die hards are moving on and I can see why. You only need to compare a VW Golf to say an A3 . The VW's are specced better as standard. Shame really .

Congrats on the new Bimmer mate

Yeah, I find it really sad the way Audi are heading. All their penny pinching and standardising things are taking the shine off things. Our Audi salesman backed this up on Sunday when he told us some of the things Audi Group are doing to recoup the billions lost through dieselgate.
If a customer does a Voluntary Termination even right at the end of the agreement, the dealership now has there fees (or whatever they get for selling the car) taken back off them. Also, in many cases (including me and the wife) they didn’t charge for excess mileage at trade in time, now they will pursue customers for it.
On the subject of excess mileage, I was told that they cannot legally recover it in the UK once an agreement has been terminated. They will threaten all sorts such as “we may” use a debt collection agency and “this may” affect your credit score, but they can’t and it doesn’t. Will read up more on this though. They apparently rely on the proportion who’ll just pay up.

Reactions: NevMan, Bristle Hound and Scotty75
@Audi Bairn - You got a fab deal there
Like you say you only live once. I’ll be interested in your mpg figures once you get your ‘van & start towing
Check your PM’s buddy ;)
Although in my case I’ve only lived about 20 times lol (overused that phrase I must admit haha)
PM’s checked :thumbs up:

Reactions: NevMan and Bristle Hound
Congrats on the new car mate, BMW have had some cracking deals going round so don't blame you jumping ship, and what a ship to jump into! Proper machine that. Sure you'll enjoy it, my parents had an old X5 3.0d and can only imagine that's a fraction of what yours can do

Sent from my HD1913 using Tapatalk
Thanks Adam, appreciated mate. I’m certainly looking forward to it.

Reactions: NevMan and Adam14
Yeah, I find it really sad the way Audi are heading. All their penny pinching and standardising things are taking the shine off things. Our Audi salesman backed this up on Sunday when he told us some of the things Audi Group are doing to recoup the billions lost through dieselgate.
If a customer does a Voluntary Termination even right at the end of the agreement, the dealership now has there fees (or whatever they get for selling the car) taken back off them. Also, in many cases (including me and the wife) they didn’t charge for excess mileage at trade in time, now they will pursue customers for it.
On the subject of excess mileage, I was told that they cannot legally recover it in the UK once an agreement has been terminated. They will threaten all sorts such as “we may” use a debt collection agency and “this may” affect your credit score, but they can’t and it doesn’t. Will read up more on this though. They apparently rely on the proportion who’ll just pay up.
Well , isn't that an eye opener . Talk about hard line tactics . Got to be honest I'm not a fan of PCP anyway. Don't like the idea of stunping up a big deposit at renewal time . Never owning the car .

Least when you sell or trade in what you own , you know where you are . Just personal preference . Though PCP seems to be quite the thing these days and the dealers clearly target towards it .

Seemingly Audi aren't even doing it that well.

As a select few of you know, my deal for the above M40i is dead in the water after I was messed about something awful and the plug was pulled.

But............. I may have some new news in the next 24 to 48 hours :whistle2:

Reactions: Pinky1959, BarryG79, Bristle Hound and 2 others
As a select few of you know, my deal for the above M40i is dead in the water after I was messed about something awful and the plug was pulled.

But............. I may have some new news in the next 24 to 48 hours :whistle2:

Looking forward to some new news Brian

I didn't realise the deal you had was cancelled .
Is the new one a BMW.

Glad you are getting the same model of car, I don't suppose it's the same one !

Reactions: NevMan and Audi Bairn
Second car has been confirmed hurrah!

The first car deal fell through as the car I paid a deposit on was sold to someone else. Bad enough but when the dealership fobbed me off and avoided calling me back for a week before finally telling me. I was raging. The overall customer service wasn’t great and utter shambles.

So, rather than miss out on this great deal which runs out on 31st December, I decided to visit another dealership on Sunday. Within an hour of arriving we had a deal (better than the first) tied up. This time on a metallic grey one (saw the colour and really like it - not unlike Daytona).

So should be delivered second week in January.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pinky1959, Bristle Hound, NevMan and 2 others

The first car deal feel through as the car I paid a deposit on was sold to someone else. Bad enough but when the dealership fobbed me off and avoided calling me back for a week before finally telling me I was raging. The overall customer service wasn’t great and utter shambles.

So, rather than miss out on this great deal which runs out on 31st December, I decided to visit another dealership on Sunday. Within an hour of arriving we had a deal (better than the first) tied up. This time on a metallic grey one (saw the colour and really like it - not unlike Daytona).

Awesome Brian, well chuffed. Xirallic Sophisto Grey is a lovely colour

So what are the specs now that car is confirmed?

The first car deal feel through as the car I paid a deposit on was sold to someone else. Bad enough but when the dealership fobbed me off and avoided calling me back for a week before finally telling me I was raging. The overall customer service wasn’t great and utter shambles.

@Audi Bairn - Nice one Brian ! Well pleased for you buddy :thumbs up:

Awesome Brian, well chuffed. Xirallic Sophisto Grey is a lovely colour

So what are the specs now that car is confirmed?

Sophisto Grey Xirallic
Black Leather with Grey stitching

TechPack:
Head up display
Harman Kardon 600w
Bluetooth and wireless charging
Gesture Control
WiFi hotspot preparation

Comfort Pack:
Heated Steering Wheel
Comfort Access
Rear Seat Reclining
Extended Storage

M Sport Plus Pack:
21” Ceruim Grey 718M double spoke wheels
Adaptive M Suspension
Privacy Glass
M Seat Belts
Dynamic Safety
BMW Individual high gloss shadow line

Selected Standard:
M Sports diff
Acoustic Glazing
Roof Rails in black gloss
Folding mirrors
Elec front seats and memory
M Sports Seats
Heated Seats
Ambient Lighting with alternative colours
Adaptive Headlights
High Beam Assist
Active Guard
Parking Assistant
Connected Package Professional
Live Cockpit Professional
M Steering Wheel
M Body Kit
Powered Tailgate
Puddle Light Pathway
M Performance Exhaust

Engine and exhaust sound track that sounds like the dogs dangly things

And the list goes on..........

Attachments

• ED6ADC83-8347-4C68-9A70-53E7C2461447.png
    ED6ADC83-8347-4C68-9A70-53E7C2461447.png
    943.1 KB · Views: 322
Last edited:
Reactions: Bristle Hound, BarryG79, Scotty75 and 1 other person
Sophisto Grey Xirallic

TechPack:
Head up display
Harman Kardon 600w
Gesture Control
WiFi hotspot preparation

Comfort Pack:
Heated Steering Wheel
Comfort Access
Rear Seat Reclining
Extended Storage

M Sport Plus Pack:
Adaptive M Suspension
Privacy Glass
M Seat Belts
Dynamic Safety

Selected Standard:
M Sports diff
Acoustic Glazing
Folding mirrors
M Sports Seats
Heated Seats
Adaptive Headlights
High Beam Assist
Active Guard
Parking Assistant
M Steering Wheel
M Body Kit
Powered Tailgate
Puddle Light Pathway
M Performance Exhaust

Awesome awesome spec there Brian. Plenty of toys to play with

HUD is great, had in a loan car, but worth noting you won’t see it if you wear polarised sunglasses (less likely where you are

Tick tock.......Merry Xmas to you

Sophisto Grey Xirallic

TechPack:
Head up display
Harman Kardon 600w
Gesture Control
WiFi hotspot preparation

Comfort Pack:
Heated Steering Wheel
Comfort Access
Rear Seat Reclining
Extended Storage

M Sport Plus Pack:
Adaptive M Suspension
Privacy Glass
M Seat Belts
Dynamic Safety

Selected Standard:
M Sports diff
Acoustic Glazing
Folding mirrors
M Sports Seats
Heated Seats
Adaptive Headlights
High Beam Assist
Active Guard
Parking Assistant
M Steering Wheel
M Body Kit
Powered Tailgate
Puddle Light Pathway
M Performance Exhaust

@Audi Bairn - Great spec Brian. That lot going to keep you busy for a while lol
The seat belt pre-tensioning, which is park of the dynamic safety, takes a little getting used to
A bit strange at first but quite reassuring

Awesome awesome spec there Brian. Plenty of toys to play with

HUD is great, had in a loan car, but worth noting you won’t see it if you wear polarised sunglasses (less likely where you are

Tick tock.......Merry Xmas to you

Cheers Nev. I’m ok with the glasses thing thankfully. There’s almost too many toys if that’s possible but it’ll make the change over from Audi more exciting as it’s all new to me.

@Audi Bairn - Great spec Brian. That lot going to keep you busy for a while lol
The seat belt pre-tensioning, which is park of the dynamic safety, takes a little getting used to
A bit strange at first but quite reassuring

Thanks Col. didn’t know about the seatbelt thing. Do they tighten slightly then? I’m sure I’ll be learning this cars functions for many months. I’m ashamed to say it’s the first car I’ve jumped into and started the engine and thought, right what do I do now. Couldn’t even work out the different type of auto gearstick for a few moments (still haven’t) lol

Reactions: NevMan, Bristle Hound and SPIKE_
Thanks Col. didn’t know about the seatbelt thing. Do they tighten slightly then? I’m sure I’ll be learning this cars functions for many months. I’m ashamed to say it’s the first car I’ve jumped into and started the engine and thought, right what do I do now. Couldn’t even work out the different type of auto gearstick for a few moments (still haven’t) lol
@Audi Bairn - The pre-tensioning thing does give you quite a yank, but after a while its quite reassuring. I miss it when I get in other cars now
I know those feelings of being lost buddy but you'll soon get used to it

@Audi Bairn - The pre-tensioning thing does give you quite a yank, but after a while its quite reassuring. I miss it when I get in other cars now
I had to read that twice but it said yank! I was thinking jeez oh these new gadgets fairly take things to another level and indecency

Last edited:
Reactions: Bristle Hound
I had to read that twice but it said yank! I was thinking jeez oh these new gadgets fairly take things to another level and indecency
PMSL :D

Reactions: Pinky1959 and Audi Bairn

I do t have the “yanking” seatbelts, but my work colleague has it in their X4MC.

It is quite a “tug”

I am glad you and your wife got a better deal and the car sounds really nice .
Looking forward to the detailing pictures .

I am glad you and your wife got a better deal and the car sounds really nice .
Looking forward to the detailing pictures .
Although it’s meant to come to me on 7th January I’ll probably wait until the Saturday meaning I can get some pics before it gets dirty then get a decent drive in it

Reactions: NevMan and BarryG79