Facelift ABS module software update / traction control non-Pirellis

mangobay

Reaction score
Hi all
Given all the threads recently about tyre sizes, types, and the impact this can (or doesnt) have on traction control, I thought I would update on the above.

Last week I had my car into dealership for a couple of things (2018 FL Sportback with staggered set up), one of which was an odd kicking in of the traction control while car in warm-up phase, which only started since I moved over to Michelins having worn out the original rubbish OEM Pirellis. It was almost like the ABS system was learning the tyre size/grip levels again each morning.

They looked into it and it turns out there is a software update available now for the ABS module. they applied this and the issue has gone away for me. I wasnt having traction light issues in other driving, but i havent seen the light since.

Thought I would mention in case it could help others having bigger issues since moving off the OEM supplied tyres.
cheers

Reactions: AudiNutta, Splathead and jimojameso
Hi all
Given all the threads recently about tyre sizes, types, and the impact this can (or doesnt) have on traction control, I thought I would update on the above.

Last week I had my car into dealership for a couple of things (2018 FL Sportback with staggered set up), one of which was an odd kicking in of the traction control while car in warm-up phase, which only started since I moved over to Michelins having worn out the original rubbish OEM Pirellis. It was almost like the ABS system was learning the tyre size/grip levels again each morning.

They looked into it and it turns out there is a software update available now for the ABS module. they applied this and the issue has gone away for me. I wasnt having traction light issues in other driving, but i havent seen the light since.

Thought I would mention in case it could help others having bigger issues since moving off the OEM supplied tyres.
cheers

Do you have Audi's reference for the update?

Do you have Audi's reference for the update?

+1, always helps when trying to get the main dealer to apply an update.

Mine is in for a service next week, I’m asking them to update the ABS module as the OP isn't the first person to report this.

Sorry guys just checked my receipt and can’t see any info on the update code. It was Cardiff Audi which I think maybe your local AN?

Cheers

This happens on my car all the time! traction control light is constantly interrupting full throttle even at low speeds. It's so odd. I turn it off every time i'm going on a spirited drive now.

Is this not normal then? I'm running the standard Pirelli's.

Nah thats not right at all. This is what i was getting, TC at low revs/low speed. Not hamerring it!

Sorry guys just checked my receipt and can’t see any info on the update code. It was Cardiff Audi which I think maybe your local AN?

Cheers

Thanks anyway for trying.

I am local to Cardiff they are my closest dealer, doesn’t mean I use them anymore ;)

I go to Bath, nice drive down, get in with a few days notice with a waiting appointment... 1 week notice with courtesy car! Also they are a quieter dealer, Cardiff is chaos.

But it’s all down to me having a chequered past with Cardiff.

Reactions: rdj
+1, always helps when trying to get the main dealer to apply an update.

Mine is in for a service next week, I’m asking them to update the ABS module as the OP isn't the first person to report this.

Any news on this from your service?

Any news on this from your service?

Picked mine up yesterday and was told they plugged the car in, no updates available for my car.

That was at Bath Audi, I think I’m going to go to Cardiff and get them to have a look seeing as that was the dealer used here.

Cheers

I’ve just booked in with Cardiff, couple of weeks time.

Did they have to test drive yours to see the fault? They’ve told me they will have to see it happen.. they can test drive it but not having them drive it around all day waiting for it to happen forget that will put the button into sport every time I drive it first haha. Hopefully they will connect my issue to yours and just update it :)

Picked mine up yesterday and was told they plugged the car in, no updates available for my car.

That was at Bath Audi, I think I’m going to go to Cardiff and get them to have a look seeing as that was the dealer used here.

Why bother, seeing that all dealerships have to get updates directly from Audi gmbh I can not see Cardiff being any different

Why bother, seeing that all dealerships have to get updates directly from Audi gmbh I can not see Cardiff being any different

But they’ve actually performed one on a car in this thread? So must be an update?

Got to go in anyway because they set my mileage up wrong for the next service

I explained the issue i was having and we did go out for a short test run but couldnt replicate it there and then - as always!
I mentioned to them that I read online about the ABS update and they said they would look into it, and then just cracked on and did it. I think to be honest all dealers avoid just running updates unless a customer has a credible actual concern etc

I explained the issue i was having and we did go out for a short test run but couldnt replicate it there and then - as always!
I mentioned to them that I read online about the ABS update and they said they would look into it, and then just cracked on and did it. I think to be honest all dealers avoid just running updates unless a customer has a credible actual concern etc

Fingers crossed I have the same experience then :)

I get that they don’t do updates for the sake of it, but hopefully my explanation of the issue will be sufficient to prove I have it and I’m not going there for the fun of it.

My car used to jerk and cut throttle even on light acceleration. It was much worse in cold weather.

I had the Audi update a few months ago and problem solved. I've mentioned this fix a few times in the tyre thread.

I would be insistent wth them that they fix it by applying the patch. I know others that have had the same fix, so it must be in the Audi database.

Reactions: mangobay
On my pfl the tc light would constantly go on and car wouldn't go for a good 1-2 seconds after hammering the throttle.. thought there was something wrong with the car on my test drive but turning tc onto sport removed most of it.
Then I put a square setup of MPS4S's on and it never (or very rarely) does it even with tc completely on happen. It's been done to death from all the tyre threads I see but just ditch the pirelli's and get a set of michelins!

On my pfl the tc light would constantly go on and car wouldn't go for a good 1-2 seconds after hammering the throttle.. thought there was something wrong with the car on my test drive but turning tc onto sport removed most of it.
Then I put a square setup of MPS4S's on and it never (or very rarely) does it even with tc completely on happen. It's been done to death from all the tyre threads I see but just ditch the pirelli's and get a set of michelins!
In my pfl the light doesnt come on but i feel the 1-2 like you say sometimes on light throttle and its start when i change the 2 front tires
Audi said i need to change all 4 together