ABS kicking in on front nearside

jamiebennett81

Reaction score
Story goes I have had an odd issue with my seat leon cupra for sometime, where cornering, going right to left with TCS on, the traction control/ABS kicks in, slightly spirited but nothing to warrant it kicking in, but going from left to right, its fine.

turn TCS off and then all is well and I don't get the problem.

however driving a few weeks ago, TCS OFF, driving slowly round the right hand bend, the same symptom happened again where the ABS kicked in on the front nearside wheel (almost feels like the front nearside wheel wobbles, but it's not).

car has had new ABS sensor, whole new hub, tracking (not rubbing at all) adjustable top mounts (was doing it before these were fitted), new ABS ring etc, LCR steering rack, track rod ends are fine also.

has anyone ever had this issue before? I have bought a second hand ABS module to hope this cures it, but wondering if anyone else had any ideas?

it's killing my confidence to go into right hand corners quickly for fear of it kicking in, as it really throws the car off track.

May be worth checking the steering angle sensor is set to 0 when the steering is straight? You will need vcds to check.

Mark

May be worth checking the steering angle sensor is set to 0 when the steering is straight? You will need vcds to check.

Mark

sorry yes that's what I was trying to think of also, that has also been checked and corrected. The signal from the ABS module has also been electronically tested and the signal was fine.

strange though as 99% of the time I can hammer it round a bend with TCS off and nothing happens, it's just that one incident again that is putting me off.

Could it be a dodgy signal from the ABS module causing this?

Does your car have full ESP with the steering angle sensor?

Does your car have the correct ABS pump to match your Cupra R steering rack?

Does your car have full ESP with the steering angle sensor?

Does your car have the correct ABS pump to match your Cupra R steering rack?

car is a 2001 seat leon cupra, then fitted with LCR quick rack (issue was there before this work was carried out though). It has TCS with steering angle sensor as I understand it.

is the ABS pump different on an LCR to that of a Leon Cupra then?

yes.

The ABS pump (which contains the ESP program) is programmed with the steering ratio, so it can figure out how much actual steering your steering input is supposed to achieve.

When you fit the LCR rack, you end up with all sorts of crazy ESP issues, beacuse the car essentially sees more turning than it expects from your steering angle and as a result thinks bad-siht is happening.

Quickrack cars (S3, TT, LCR) all have different ABS units to the rest of the range for this reason.

Its a fairly well documented issue with the LCR/S3 rack swap into ESP equipped cars.

The reason you can tell its ESP, rather than ABS, is that ABS is ONLY active when your pressing the brakes, whereas ESP will intervene if it thinks your about to crash even when your not braking.