ABS ESP Lights on

downie

Reaction score
I just did my weekly big shop and got back to the car to find that when i started the engine the abs and esp lights remain on. I have tried since then restarting the engine to see if it cures it and once the esp light stayed off but the abs light stayed on. Now they are both on all the time. i have tried and the esp no loger stops excessive wheel spin and the abs does not work. Is there anything I can do before i take it to my dealer??

Faulty brake peddle switch (common on Audis) can cause the abs & esp lights to come on.

See if your brake lights are working properly

Timps is correct, appened to mine about 2 months ago. Theyre only about 6 quid straight from the dealer.

Its an easy job to do. If your brake lights stay on after your have changed the switch you need to rotate the switch a fraction more

Cheers
Simon

Sorry to revive this thread but I seem to have the same problem both my lights but my car is an A4 would it be the same. Where is this switch so I can check it.
Many thanks

You cant really check it. For the small cost just change it.

You need to remove the panel beneath the steering wheel. On my A6 its two bolts underneath, remove the coweling above the steering wheel, simply pulls back, two bolst under there and finally remove the side panel whcih covers the fuse box. Far right hand side of the dash. There the lats one hiding in there.

Droop the panel and stick you head underath whilst pressing the brake pedal. You will see the switch as the pedal moves. Dont presume that because the brake is in the middle its the middle switch. On mines thats the clutch switch.

Disconnect the cable to the switch and rotate the switch body anti clockwise and it will come out.

Good sign thats its faulty is you brake lights wont work or be on permanently

Simon

It is just 3 bolts on the A4

2 in the foot well and one behind the fuse panel at the side.

The panel then pulls towards the driver .

The switch is problematic on the entire Audi range, but also the same problem has been linked to both brake light bulbs blowing at once.

The only way to check is VAG com , multi meter or looking for erratic brake light behaviour.

But as simonwjones has said, for the price you might as well replace it’s a very common problem so its worth doing first.

I had the same on mine about a week ago, both esp and abs lights stayed on, got it plugged in on diagnostics and it came up with a faulty front left abs sensor.
Had the sensor replaced yesterday and both lights are now out, the sensor was £15 and fitting was £20, I attempted to change it my self but the bolt holding it on was rusted up.
If your isnt rusted up you could do it yourself, wheel off, unplug sensor and undo the allen bolt holding sensor in, replace with the new one and your sorted.