ABS/ESP Lights illuminated... Braking Fault?

rippedin6

Reaction score
Hi fellow Audi owners,

So recently the amber ABS and ESP lights are illuminated on the dash on my A3 8P. Sometimes they are there when I start the car, sometimes they pop in after a few moments of driving (they do always come on at some point during my drive though). When they do pop up the display reads "ABS/ESP Fault. See owners manual!" or something along those lines.

Now I've noticed that if they are not illuminated right from the start, the car acts funny. By this I mean - there is some ticking noise from the back? of the car, also when braking there are grinding noises from under the pedal area. When the ABS/ESP fault kicks in and the message displays, the car drives perfectly after that. No ticking noises and no braking grinding noise.

What kind of problem am I looking at here? I've just been avoiding it for a while now since I can drive the car fine as long as the lights are illuminated - but I want this issue dealt with.

Anyone?

Thanks in advance.

Get the car scanned with vcds and see what faults it shows. If you don't have vcds there is a link in my signature to map of local users.

Could be a number of things...wheel alignment, steering angle sensor etc..... Get it scanned with vcds tbh

As above, if you wanted to buy vcds, ping me a pm.

My money's on ABS pump. Had the same problem myself. Had to remove to send off for reconditioning .

As per the advice of heavy-hitters above, scan 1st.
Unfortunately, there are loads of reasons why ABS could be actuating by itself.