ABS/ESP LIGHT

markA4tdi

markA4tdi
Reaction score
Hello all

still got this problem with the abs/esp lights coming on intermittantly, having read a lot of posts on here they seem to affect the a3 alot, however mines an a4 (2002) has anyone else had this on their a4, and what resolved it,

checked the brake lights all ok there, is it more likely to be the brake sense switch(at the pedal or a sensor on 1 of the wheels, (i was thinking if it was the abs pump it would happen all the time and stay illuminated). If its a check at the wheels, what should i look for?

does it come one when you start the car.

then when you turn the car off and on again twice it disapears?

no just when driving along, dosnt happen all the time, i do the "check" button and all is ok at the end of the"check" wether they are illuminated or not (the abs/esp indicator bulbs).
just took off the o/s/f and o/s/r/ wheels and nothing obvious there, unclipped the only unclippable connector, which im assuming is the brake pad wear indicator all ok there too, no dirt grease etc, so now going to check the n/s/f and n/s/r and see if all ok at that side too

remove the bulbs in the dash, problem solved!

Lol and heres me thinking, someones got the answer here! lol

well had a look at the other side and all well there too, so how easy is the switch to remove? anyone done it?

Try posting your problem in the VCDS section to see if someone can do a scan for you.

I had this fault on my A4 it was the brake switch cost about £12 from audi com fault

I have the same issue

light comes on -- usually after about 5 mins of driving -- stays on for maybe 3 mins then goes off

always as above -- if it hasn't come on after 5-10mins it (i,m pretty sure) doesn't

99% certain it started after I replaced my drivers side intercooler (about 3 weeks ago)

yeah pretty much same here regarding the times, turn off the ignition and everything ok, turn back on start up drive off all ok, then x number of mins later back on again, havnt tried yet to see if it affects the abs when they are lit up, i,ll have to hit the anchors hard and see,

remove the bulbs in the dash, problem solved!

You will need a soldering iron as they are not conventional bulbs. I found this out when looking into an abs fault on a friends car he had no warning light. Turned out some dodgy garage put black tape over it to get it through an MOT :(

You will need a soldering iron as they are not conventional bulbs. I found this out when looking into an abs fault on a friends car he had no warning light. Turned out some dodgy garage put black tape over it to get it through an MOT :(

indeed im changing the leds on one over at the moment.

hmm so as its only the brake sensor switch, can i assume that the abs will still work then? or does having this light on disable the abs function?

finally had the vag com diagnosis, only thing that came up was the brake pedal switch! so off to audi and bought 1 today £8.81 so was quite pleased, came home followed the link and instructions on how to fit it andguess what!....... fixed? ...... nope.. arrrggh dont know what i did wrong if anything but when the new switch inpressed the pedal once all connected up, esp/abs lights on dash lit up but no brake lights! talk about gutted, after having been a contortionist in the footwell!! made sure all was connected still no brake lights , so put the old switch back in... brake lights on all the time! damn! so thought it best to switch back over and have no brake lights at all, going to have to swallow the dealers prices and book it in to get it done! but hey at least i tried....and failed lol!

happy new year to all!:beerchug:

I seen this before, it was fixed by running it through basic adaption on the brake pressure sensor or steering angle sensor, as this can be reset by having the battery off too long or jump starting the car.

Shame you did not post any fault codes from the ABS module.

Sounds to me like your 'longitudinal acceleration sensor' needs replacing. It should cost about £90 - £130 and will take about 1hr to fit.

I had a similar issue, started intermittently with the ESP light, then ESP stayed on then ABS light came on intermittently (on start up and when moving at times). When I serviced the car, the Vag Com came up as Steering Angle sensor. Apparently it's a sensor in the steering wheel that senses the amount of turn you are making in relation to amount of power being put down. Apparently it either requires replacing or cleaning. I didn't get round to it but during the ice we had recently, the wheels were spinning on ice on the road and all the warnings disappeared. It's like when the wheels slipped it might have reset the ECU and all lights have disappeared.

Hi , I have same problem on my B7. It all starter with Glow plug indicator started blinking on several occasions, but after turning the engine off and the on again this stops. I then went to check the car and it showed faulty brake switch which I replaced , but when i drove off the ESP/ABS indicators went on. Changed the brake switch again, but same problem. When I restart the engine the lights disappear, but after few minutes of driving they they go on again. I checked if the ABS is working while lights are on and it appear that it does not and I guess its same with the ESP. Today I got it computer checked again, but no any faults in the system, but when drove off the lights went on again. Its quite annoying as all this started after I replaced the brake switch. I also yesterday noticed that when pressed the brake pedal does not come back that quickly as before (car is 3.0 TDI automatic) and when you step on the brakes and then release it, pedal stays in down position , not releasing the brakes for a much longer time than before. The mechanic says this has nothing to do with the ESP/ABS lights , but I think these problems are all connected. If anyone knows what could cause this, please let me know.

There is a combination of lights that show that simply means the batterey has dropped below critical level, I had this a while ago when everything in car was on and also charging ipad, can't for the life of me remember which ones they were though.