ABS error, hill start error and start stop failure

Hbailey1

Reaction score
I have a 2014 A3 1.4 Tfsi CoD.
This has happened twice now after starting the car in the morning, the car will beep and I get an ABS error message, a start stop deactivation message as well as hill start disabled. After turning the car off and restarting a minute or two after, the messages disappear and the car functions as normal.
After scanning the car with my scanner, I’m getting the following error codes: 00297, 17158 and 07150, all logged at the same time when the car starts.
Searching these codes separately, the issue looks like either something is shorting in the car, or I’m in need of a new battery. I’m wondering whether anyone has any idea if these three codes together could confirm the issue and my next course of action.
Thanks

If you've got a multimeter then just connect to the terminals after it's been unused for at least a few hours. A cold morning like now would be ideal if it's not run since last night, for example.

You're looking for >12.6V - anything less would really indicate an issue. Without a multimeter I don't really know of any way of checking battery health other than visually looking for corrosion (at the terminals) or damage.

Edit: if you can get your hands on a multimeter it's also wise to test the battery is being properly charged by the alternator as this rules out the alternator undercharging your battery - with the engine idling the same test should read between 13.8V-14.4V

I had to change my battery out after six years (also a 2014, but a 1.8TFSI) for identical symptoms. People on here were amazed that it had lasted that long. :p

I wanted chime in and suggest the issue maybe due to battery health too. Certain sub systems are more sensitive to low voltage and they start giving error messages before cranking issues start getting you.
I got a new battery from the dealership a couple months ago and remembered to program the new "BEM" code. I believe in our cars, the battery control module isn't that advanced to cause problems, but on other platforms skipping this step seems to be causing premature new battery failures.
Link below for VCDS battery programming

I don't really know of any way of checking battery health other than visually looking for corrosion (at the terminals) or damage.
Pretty much common sense is most reasonable way, I have googled this : ''how long car battey last?'' google answered 5 years..
Car manufactured : 2014-2015 nearly 10 years in car..
Defo time to replace battery :)

I have a 2014 A3 1.4 Tfsi CoD.
This has happened twice now after starting the car in the morning, the car will beep and I get an ABS error message, a start stop deactivation message as well as hill start disabled. After turning the car off and restarting a minute or two after, the messages disappear and the car functions as normal.
After scanning the car with my scanner, I’m getting the following error codes: 00297, 17158 and 07150, all logged at the same time when the car starts.
Searching these codes separately, the issue looks like either something is shorting in the car, or I’m in need of a new battery. I’m wondering whether anyone has any idea if these three codes together could confirm the issue and my next course of action.
Thanks
Exactly, this happened to me on saturday haha ..
Car manuf 2014 september.
Registered Jan 2015
Time to chane battery... (stop start) more expensive