ABS and ESP light on in dash board

ross1989

Reaction score
hey, weather has been really wet lately and this morning ive just noticed my ABS orange light comes on and stays on after driving a little bit in the wet..the ESP light on the dash board comes on and stays on at the same time. this has only just happened and never came on before, will the wet roads have anything to do with it?

audi a3 2.0tdi

no other light like the brake light comes on tho..just them two. braking is still the same when they are on, any ideas? thanks..

Mine has started to do this and after being vagcomd showed that the ABS sensor is faulty so mines going to be replaced. Hopefully it will sort it, maybe its the same for yours!

Strange......mine did exactly the same thing again last night, was driving home and the ESP light came on and stayed on even after switching the engine off again.

The car has also started to cut out again when I come to a stop at a junction or similar (like the idle control valve is unable to keep the revs at idle).

Had this problem Christmas time, had all the faults cleared (to do with Banks 1 & 2) but has run fine since!! I have replaced the MAF as thought this could be the problem last time but it appears to have reared its ugly head again!!

Anyone help?!

I had my ESP light come on too. Came to a stop later on and floored the accelerator and the front wheel spins out like a FWD. It only went out after shutting and restarting the ignition. The dealer, as usual, tells me there is no code.

drove to work this morning and it went back to normal. then on way home it came back on again so went to a garage to get it checked with vag and it came up with front right wheel sensor is playing up. roughly £120 to fix. but been out pretty far tonight and it never came back after hours of driving, then did again when i came back. apprently it could just be dirt found this website about how to clean them will give it a go and let you know of the results!

http://ezinearticles.com/?How-to-Clean-Your-ABS-Wheel-Sensor&id=1574711

just incase anyone else has had same problem. i took the wheel off, gave the sensor a good clean only to find out half the cable has been burned away. maybe from contact from the tire?? bit of a bodge cable job on it tied it up at the way. no problems. worth checking and maybe cleaning before you rush the a garage, i was ready to pay £120 for it!! found out cable is only £25 on the internet anyway and simple to do

Result ross
Just goes to show its always worth a look yourself before forking out at the garage.

just incase anyone else has had same problem. i took the wheel off, gave the sensor a good clean only to find out half the cable has been burned away. maybe from contact from the tire?? bit of a bodge cable job on it tied it up at the way. no problems. worth checking and maybe cleaning before you rush the a garage, i was ready to pay £120 for it!! found out cable is only £25 on the internet anyway and simple to do
where did u get the cable from i had a wheel bearing changed on the front passenger side done today just got it back and the abs and eps light is stuck on could t be the got the sensor dirty or damaged the cable

It must be due to the water destroying the sensor/cable. My ABS and Traction Control light both come on periodically ever since we had about 2' of water after floods.

AS previously asked, where did you source the cable from?

hey had abs lite and the esp orange come on my dash, took it to the garage,the problem is the abs pump needs replacing....my A3 is off the road for a week and the pumps goner cost me £788.60 total job cost £1488.20p !
HELP!:wtf:

But hey i love my black A3 so much im goner pay it... coz its a dam good car....!