About to pull trigger opinions

lee_fr200

Reaction score
hi guys been out in a facelift RS3 today and loved it, more so than the pfl that I drove last December,

Now I don’t see many new ones on here now and I see alot of ppl wanting to get out of 17,18 model year cars, can I ask why?

Anything put you off?
Any real reason why there doesn’t seem to be many about?

As for security how many have ghost? Steering locks, steel driveway posts etc etc

Anyone got the tracker locate?

Wanting to go in with eyes open as it’s not a cheap purchase

hi guys been out in a facelift RS3 today and loved it, more so than the pfl that I drove last December,

Now I don’t see many new ones on here now and I see alot of ppl wanting to get out of 17,18 model year cars, can I ask why?

Anything put you off?
Any real reason why there doesn’t seem to be many about?

As for security how many have ghost? Steering locks, steel driveway posts etc etc

Anyone got the tracker locate?

Wanting to go in with eyes open as it’s not a cheap purchase
Maybe because it's pointless buying brand new because of the depreciation? I dunno. I'd never buy a brand new car anyway.
I own a pfl by the way. I'm a peasant.

Sent from my GM1913 using Tapatalk

Reactions: DW81 and simonali
Yeah he said they hadn’t sold many so still fairy exclusive as for the depreciation everything depreciates with cars like this but it Could be worse a friend of mine bought a new mclaren optioned up and lost over 100k in 12 months so 20-25k over 4yrs isn’t rly bad! And we could all die in the next 12 month might as well enjoy it!

As for sound I actually liked how it sounded and not particularly bothered how it sounds out of the car as Then it keeps a lower profile to scumbags

Reactions: Riko0073
Totally agree with you on enjoying life whilst you can. If you've driven a GPF equipped car and like it then go for it. I have a 18my saloon and love it, got a 19my saloon (with GPF) at work for a few projects and its still a very nice car, just not quite as raw to drive in dynamic, but hopefully be able to improve that as we get to work on it.

Totally agree with you on enjoying life whilst you can. If you've driven a GPF equipped car and like it then go for it. I have a 18my saloon and love it, got a 19my saloon (with GPF) at work for a few projects and its still a very nice car, just not quite as raw to drive in dynamic, but hopefully be able to improve that as we get to work on it.

What is this new filter and can it be removed? Will it throw a eml light?

What is this new filter and can it be removed? Will it throw a eml light?
Its a particulate filter, similar technology to those fitted on diesels. It can be removed but makes the car illegal (although nobody will be checking tailpipe particulates) and will put MIL on

Its a particulate filter, similar technology to those fitted on diesels. It can be removed but makes the car illegal (although nobody will be checking tailpipe particulates) and will put MIL on

Mil?

Malfunction Indicator Light

4b58315ebd3b6473ac2f4fd5f82ac836.jpg

GPF / PPF are 2 filters directly after the Downpipe.

There are also 4 pressure sensors before and after them.

MY 19 Revised Engine has different pistons / cams / revised compression ratio.

All done to get it to meet WLTP Standard’s.

We’ve seen a downturn in people wanting the WLTP 2019 RS3.

Reactions: Terminator x and DW81
GPF / PPF are 2 filters directly after the Downpipe.

There are also 4 pressure sensors before and after them.

MY 19 Revised Engine has different pistons / cams / revised compression ratio.

All done to get it to meet WLTP Standard’s.

We’ve seen a downturn in people wanting the WLTP 2019 RS3.

But they’re still pretty quick and let be honest all cars are going the same way, if you decide against the RS any other competition is going through the same, what does it rob in terms of power? Is the engine still tuneable? Let’s face it judging by the q3 the next one will have dual screens in the centre of the dash and then some sort of hybridisation which will no doubt increase the weight, yes the pfl and initial facelift will be more raw but in another 4-5yrs those cars might have tax implications if it spits out too much at least the current car is probably the last real hyper hatch that passes current regs

Personally dreading the future regarding cars

Reactions: sve170 and Riko0073
What’s your experience comparing the 2 cars power wise, any reduction in performance with the OPF car and any difference with the delivery of power?

I have a new OPF RS3 and over the moon with it, the reduction in sound suits me as an every day car although a bit more exhaust sound wouldn’t go a miss, happy the pops and bangs have gone though.

never driven a PFL so not sure how they compare and the impact of the new restrictions? Audi are always conservative with their 0-60 times but seen some video’s where the OPF car has struggled hitting the claimed 4.1 seconds with PFL hitting below 4 secs.

Too soon to comapre power as the works car only has 200 miles on it so needs a few more miles. However, on the road power delivery in the GPF 19my is different than the 18my, it feels smoother but not as dramatic There just isnt any real sound difference between comfort and dynamic modes.

Ive never driven a PFL so cant compare to it.

What’s your experience comparing the 2 cars power wise, any reduction in performance with the OPF car and any difference with the delivery of power?

I have a new OPF RS3 and over the moon with it, the reduction in sound suits me as an every day car although a bit more exhaust sound wouldn’t go a miss, happy the pops and bangs have gone though.

never driven a PFL so not sure how they compare and the impact of the new restrictions? Audi are always conservative with their 0-60 times but seen some video’s where the OPF car has struggled hitting the claimed 4.1 seconds with PFL hitting below 4 secs.

When I drove the pfl it felt quick but not as quick and yes it popped and banged BUT I’m not personally bothered about that either, I’m more interested in the general sound of the thing, and It sounds smooth! The car I drove today also didn’t have a ticking exhaust on startup and it had the lovely virtual cockpit! It sounded well and went well, I took it on some twisties and it seemed to handle well! For me it’s more than just outright pace! It’s all of it together! I’m just waiting to see what they offer me as a discount I’m 5k in equity on my gti so I might only end up putting in a couple of grand

Too soon to comapre power as the works car only has 200 miles on it so needs a few more miles. However, on the road power delivery in the GPF 19my is different than the 18my, it feels smoother but not as dramatic There just isnt any real sound difference between comfort and dynamic modes.

Sorry I meant pre OPF (not PFL) versus OPF.

Thanks for your feedback, will be interesting to hear your thoughts how they compare once the OPF RS has some more miles and loosens up a bit.

Agreed that there isn’t much difference between comfort and dynamic from inside the car, outside is a bit better but I’ve had quite a few people comment on how nice it sounds and can be heard from a distance, that’s enough for me with a blisteringly quick easy to live with hyper hatch :icon thumright:

Reactions: sve170
Ah ok. Well my car is a pre GPF and Ive done 22k miles in it so know it very well. Ive only done 30 odd miles in the 19my so it still early days. We only got it last week. It is still a very fast car that makes a lovely noise, but I feel dynamic mode should be more noise. I am taking the approach that if someone wants to modify their car they will want a bit more noise in dynamic mode.

Ah ok. Well my car is a pre GPF and Ive done 22k miles in it so know it very well. Ive only done 30 odd miles in the 19my so it still early days. We only got it last week. It is still a very fast car that makes a lovely noise, but I feel dynamic mode should be more noise. I am taking the approach that if someone wants to modify their car they will want a bit more noise in dynamic mode.
Yes agreed, a bit more noise in dynamic would be nice, although I understand the exhaust should sound better after a few thousand miles so I’ve been told?

All great cars regardless of PFL, pre OPF and new OPF models, I’m just feeling lucky to own one and have that wonderful 5 pot engine to power me around! :racer:

Reactions: sve170 and Dan_DJT
Yes my car and the works car both have sport exhaust.

Have you considered a valve controller? It makes a world of difference.
Tell me more mate.

presume it just keeps the flaps open permanently, or you can override the drive select? Does it make the exhaust any louder over the standard sport exhaust?

I can only assume the flaps aren't open fully at part throttle even in dynamic mode, because with the controller activated it is a much deeper, richer and louder exhaust note at all RPMs, and you can hear the turbo whistle and spool

What it does is make comfort mode always vales closed, even on start up - your neighbours will thank you for that - but valves still open at wide open throttle to protect the engine.
In dynamic the valves are always fully open and sounds glorious.
You can also open the valves manually in any mode by pressing the traction control button twice
An address feature is it remembers the start/stop mode setting so you don't have to turn it off every time you start the car (unless you use it?)
And you can put the car in service mode turning the controller completely off and putting the car back to factory

They aren't cheap, but I do think it was a worthwhile mod for me, I'm much happier with the sound now.

I have this one: https://www.active-sound.eu/en/audi/audi-a3/audi-a3-8v/active-valve-control

that’s great thank you.

presume you have the OPF model and still helps with the overall sound?

Yep. Brand new 69 Reg, picked it up less than 2 weeks ago. :)
Thanks mate.

might consider this then, only had mine for a month so still getting used to it, usually the exhausts get better with a few thousand miles but will certainly look at this module as an option.

I can only assume the flaps aren't open fully at part throttle even in dynamic mode, because with the controller activated it is a much deeper, richer and louder exhaust note at all RPMs, and you can hear the turbo whistle and spool

What it does is make comfort mode always vales closed, even on start up - your neighbours will thank you for that - but valves still open at wide open throttle to protect the engine.
In dynamic the valves are always fully open and sounds glorious.
You can also open the valves manually in any mode by pressing the traction control button twice
An address feature is it remembers the start/stop mode setting so you don't have to turn it off every time you start the car (unless you use it?)
And you can put the car in service mode turning the controller completely off and putting the car back to factory

They aren't cheap, but I do think it was a worthwhile mod for me, I'm much happier with the sound now.

I have this one: https://www.active-sound.eu/en/audi/audi-a3/audi-a3-8v/active-valve-control
Yea you’ve pretty much sold that for me then.. I’ll make the final decision when I hear the car in person

Collected my FL Sport Edition in September and still running it in but compared to my FL A45 AMG it feels like a beast on a leash in all modes. Really surprised but delighted by that.

Followed the advice on here and had a Ghost fitted - really does give you peace of mind. Once you've learned it (or perhaps haven't forgotten...:redface:) it's easy to use and intuitive.

Only minor issue I have is that I had a detailer coat the whole car - wipers judder a bit on the windscreen and the water runs off the roof and onto the seat when I open the passenger door.....but I'm still glad I had the thing coated from new. Water behaviour brings a smile to my face everytime.....I do grow out of it though!:yes:

The 2019 Rs3 is still a great car but has been changed a little from the 2017-2018 model by means of changed GPF filter on exhaust and cams have changed. The power figures quoted for the 2019 version are down aswell.

Having the valves closed on cold start makes the controller very tempting, it's all I'd want it for on my PFL lol, I'm fine with the noise and valves in all the other modes/scenarios. Just would like it that tad quieter on cold start ;)

Would also love to know if a remap (engine or DSG) also sorts out the weird clutch/throttle for that first minute of cold start where you push the throttle but it doesn't really pull, like the clutch isn't engaged or is being dragged up. Makes you sound a right plonker with all the noise and the car not moving much, then after the minute or so once the cold start dies off it's all normal.

Having the valves closed on cold start makes the controller very tempting, it's all I'd want it for on my PFL lol, I'm fine with the noise and valves in all the other modes/scenarios. Just would like it that tad quieter on cold start ;)

Would also love to know if a remap (engine or DSG) also sorts out the weird clutch/throttle for that first minute of cold start where you push the throttle but it doesn't really pull, like the clutch isn't engaged or is being dragged up. Makes you sound a right plonker with all the noise and the car not moving much, then after the minute or so once the cold start dies off it's all normal.

Sounds more like a slipping clutch tbh

They all drive bad during the cold start phase, best to just wait until the revs come down then it will drive much better.

The 2019 Rs3 is still a great car but has been changed a little from the 2017-2018 model by means of changed GPF filter on exhaust and cams have changed. The power figures quoted for the 2019 version are down aswell.
What are the quoted power figure on the pre GPF versus new GPF model, thought they were then same bhp/psi and torque?

Ah, so I'm not the only one. Cold start is almost embarrassing (even warm start is too noisy) and then the first few feet in 1st feels like the clutch is slipping, lots of noise - not much motion.

To answer your question - I have Revo stage one and the car still exhibits the same behaviour :(

I don't mind the warm starts so much, sometimes that throttle blip it does is actually pretty quiet, but then others it's snap crackle and pop :)

The cold starts are so annoying though, it's the weird throttle/clutch thing more than anything as it just makes it ten times worse!

If you change drive modes after key on but before start you can get rid of the noise, sadly the clutch slip will still be there until the cold start phase has finished (30s or so )

Reactions: TheFiftheElement
What are the quoted power figure on the pre GPF versus new GPF model, thought they were then same bhp/psi and torque?
There both 400 but the 2018 would see up to 420 bhp but where as the 2019 I have seen 375-380 bhp dyno graphs.

Reactions: Banjo1990
Don't get a GPF / OPF car imho as performance and sound seems to have dropped away. PFL for the noise and FL for tuneability.

TX.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

Reactions: D0C
There both 400 but the 2018 would see up to 420 bhp but where as the 2019 I have seen 375-380 bhp dyno graphs.
Wow really? Surely Audi will have an issue here then as not producing as advertised and sold with 400bhp!!

Don't get a GPF / OPF car imho as performance and sound seems to have dropped away. PFL for the noise and FL for tuneability.

TX.

I did consider a used one but just prefer to have a car from new...I know I know.

the sound doesn’t bother me and happy to have no pops and bangs, although a bit more exhaust note would be welcomed, however the performance is a slight concern but who’s really going to notice a few 10th seconds difference on UK roads?

Put some decat pipes on the PFL and it's perhaps twice as loud again!

TX.

Checkout the MRC Tuning Facebook page..........scroll down to posts on 28th June and you will see that they have mapped a Nardo 2019 car with GPF fitted. Results were stock 387ps & 475nm and mapped stage 1 at 452ps & 602nm. These numbers are well down on a 2017/18 car.

Spoiler Alert: The forthcoming roadtest comparisons between the new Merc AMG45S and 2019 RS3 is going to be a walkover for the Merc.

Any bets on secondhand values on the 2017/2018 models staying pretty strong?

Supposing you put the facelift or pfl downpipe and exhaust on to get rid of the particulate filter will it return to its glory? And what is different with the cams and pistons and why?

Can the cams be swapped for facelift cams? The last car I changed cams on came alive afterwards