About to order new S3.....confirmation needed about a couple of things

chanlon1

Reaction score
Website
www.babybmw.net
Hope to order a new Estoril S3 sportback this week.
Have more or less confirmed all the options I want but a couple of questions looking answers......

I'm currently using an iPhone 5.
I'm aware that you can stream audio via bluetooth, but can you also do the same with podcasts in the podcast app?

Does mono pur cover anything other than door/arm rests and knee pads?

Have no need for Sat Nav, so that isnt being choosen. Other than the screen size/bezel being different, will I be loosing any other functionality?

thanks in advance

Does mono pur cover anything other than door/arm rests and knee pads?

Yep - just the front and rear door arm rests and the knee pads by the cup holders. It's a bit pricey as an option, but it does have a nice look and feel compared to the standard plastic.

I have the tech pack - high and the quality of the screen is amazing. nice clear text, easy to read. I am currently in a loan car from Audi that has the standard size screen and i think Audi are embarrassing themselves. It really lets the car down. Its small, text is blurred, and looks rather naff.

Tech Pack in my opinion worth it. I've picked out the non-nav stuff in bold below (text from the Brochure)

It includes HDD-based MMI Satellite Navigation Plus and MMI Touch with navigation data (flash memory),electrically extending, high-resolution 7-inch colour display with 800 x 480 pixel resolution, high-quality representation of the navigation map as 3D ground model with topographical map colouring, display of many sites and city models in 3D, choice of 3 alternative routes provided, split-screen mode for route information (manoeuvring points, points of interest on motorways, TMCpro on route), detailed junction map and lane recommendations, dynamic route guidance (where available), voice control system (whole-word entry of address in one sentence), additional arrow display in the Driver’s Information System; includes radio with triple tuner and phase diversity,flash memory for music (10GB), MP3, WMA, AAC and MPEG4-capable DVD player which can also be used for music and video DVDs, 2 SDXC card readers (for up to 2TB). MMI Touch: a touch-sensitive panel on the rotary/push-button control for intuitive operation of the MMI without taking your eyes off the road; context-related entry of letters and numbers for navigation destination via handwriting recognition with acoustic acknowledgement, selection from address book, entry of telephone numbers or search for media files; simple movement of navigation map and selection of points of interest

Also, you get speed limit recognition with tech pack if ordered with lane assist, and there might be some other 'when ordered in combination with tech pack' goodies as well that I can't remember

Amazing what you can find in the brochure...

B&O - "5.1 surround sound reproduction is possible when ordered in conjunction with Technology package"

LED Lights - "Junction light, which provides a wide front light setting, as well as travel mode, which switches between right and left-hand drive modes assisted by GPS data"

You get the static cornering lights with xenons as well which come on at junctions, but only with GPS data I think. They have a manual switch for left/right though in the MMI - always wondered why they wouldn't do this based on GPS as well? Strange

appreciate the comments so far - plan on being back in the dealership this week to go over some of the above and getting a better play with them.

Is resale value important? The tech pack will add some resale value to the car as well, the SD sat nav would as well

I find the corning lights really good (I never thought it would be that great) Off the top of my head im not sure which option give the corning lights, but the new A3 has much better corning lights than "most" cars. From what ive seen most cars use their fog lights as "corning" lights which to me i think looks a bit "pants". The A3 actually has sideways facing lights that really make a massive difference when parking in the dark.

Yeh, the cornering lights are excellent. You don't think they'll add much but they make a big difference, you really see them light up the area you are going to turn into. They actually point sideways as well rather than the fog light ones (which I agree are pants). They definitely come with the xenon light pack, probably the standard xenons you get with the s-line too (though not sure). LED I think do a version of cornering lights too, though don't know whether it's the same system.

The Adaptive headlights with Xenon Plus headlights are a £295 option (PXA) on the S-Line and S3 quattro. If you order them you must also have the Light and Rain package (PU8 - £150), Auto-dimming rear view mirror(PU7 - £245) or the Comfort Package (WB1 - £300)

In regards to the playing podcasts, yes you can play them over bt, all sounds from the ip5 will play, vids,spotify ect

I like the mono pur, but it is actually expensive for white stitching and better material on handles and centre console. Id buy this again, also makes the interior a little less black, and the lines work well alongside the B&O lights in the speakers

Sat Nav, if your not going to use it, its kind of expensive, if you wanted it the tech pack actually looks better value, with the map updates (I dont have this by the way) but there is another thread on it, also the white light aroud the mmi wheel looks nice. If you dont need the satnav the extra nice bits are very expensive. I am sure the bigger screen is nicer, but I dont think the smaller screen for showing you the track listing, album art, contacts photos, navigation all works really well. Might be a little bit different if I had the reversing camera, I could see that would be nicer with the bigger screen. Possibly the one item I wish I had ordered. But I actually dont use the screen up much, I prefer my tomtom (which has speed camera warnings) and the money I didnt spend on sat nav went on a weekend away and some very nice treats.

There arnt many bad options on the A3 range, but not all of them are good value to all owners. Annoyingly many of the options do have little extras such as the through load facility, which includes the centre arm rest and cup holders for the rear seats.

Last edited:
Reactions: BGS
Agree with others that cornering lights are good. To clarify one post, cornering lights don't need GPS.

h5djr is spot on (no pun intended) regarding the adaptive headlights with Xenon plus. These adjust the angle of the headlights to point into bends (even at speed) and are brilliant. These are a separate from cornering lights function.

Cornering light are static and uses a separate bulb that points at an angle towards the side to help at junctions or when parking.

John.