SQ5 About to buy .... things to look out for?

David83S3

In my opinion .....
Reaction score
Hi Folks

Been a while since I have posted on here and my previous threads would have been over on the S3 8V forum!

Looking at buying an SQ5 Plus 16 plate - Panther Black, Pearl Effect and just wanted to know whether there was anything I need to be looking out for / checking?

Look forward to hearing from some of you

David

Reactions: 45bvtc
I have the Mk 2 Petrol SQ5, but plenty of threads on here from Mk 1 owners seem to mention the gearbox needing a service/oil change, but a 2016 car would be too new for than depending on milage of course. Otherwise not heard of much to be careful of...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks mxnrg ....... I have the SQ5 plus now and absolutely love it! Cracking bit of kit and ticks all the right boxes for me :) The MK2 is growing on me now ..... has to be the SQ5 though as the others look too boring .....

Reactions: RS3 S. and 45bvtc
It's ok, I don't take it personally:blownose:

It's ok, I don't take it personally:blownose:

Haha .... No really the MK2 SQ5 is actually really nice ..... its just the other MK2 Q5's

Although the lack of exhaust tips kinda doesn't work for me ....but they all seem to be going that way now :-(

Reactions: NevMan
haha, I know what you mean though, would have LOVED SQ5. Mine is S-Line, but will probably change 19"s to 20/21 alloys, and maybe suspension pack. Agree on the lack of exhausts across the Q range, but from Audi's latest releases is the way it is going.

haha, I know what you mean though, would have LOVED SQ5. Mine is S-Line, but will probably change 19"s to 20/21 alloys, and maybe suspension pack. Agree on the lack of exhausts across the Q range, but from Audi's latest releases is the way it is going.

Lack of visible tips is bothering me less and less after seeing the soot caked chrome tips on my neighbours 2012 E93 M3 convertible (wonderful naturally aspirated V8 sound!).

Still loving my stock 20's and air suspension, great cruiser in Comfort and angry growl and planted ride in Dynamic :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: RS3 S. and NevMan
I know what you mean, and does make cleaning easier without any tips on show. Mrs has Mini JCW, so I am kept busy keeping those clean.
That said, I do like a car with a nice set of pipes (exhaust) on show :tearsofjoy:

JCW Pipes

Reactions: mxnrg
Pick my SQ 5 up tomorrow & not having to polish the exhaust tips is one thing i'm looking forward to. Pain on my RS 3 to keep clean.

Reactions: mxnrg and NevMan
Pick my SQ 5 up tomorrow & not having to polish the exhaust tips is one thing i'm looking forward to. Pain on my RS 3 to keep clean.

Nice Look forward to the pics

I just bought a Mk1 2015 SQ5 which I pick up tomorrow. Audi dealer said Gearbox oil change is 40k miles, which they are going to do, but 4 x 4 system service not due till 60k miles.

Congrats on the purchase Scott!! Like a kid at Xmas? I am now a few months into my SQ5 and absolutely LOVE it ....... its a real pleasure to drive and ticks a lot boxes. 1 niggle I have is the lag upon acceleration .... but I come from an S3 so probably expect too much. The new SQ5 has actually grown on me a lot and the cogs have already started turning on "Next Car Thoughts" :)

Exhaust tips on the SQ5 seem to stay extremely clean ..... my S3 was awful for it!! So much exhaust soot and a real B*****d to get it off

Good to know about the 40K Gearbox oil change ..... I am just under that now, but it wont be long until I hit that.

I dont think I have posted a pic yet?!?!?! Will dig one out :)

Congrats on the purchase Scott!! Like a kid at Xmas? I am now a few months into my SQ5 and absolutely LOVE it ....... its a real pleasure to drive and ticks a lot boxes. 1 niggle I have is the lag upon acceleration .... but I come from an S3 so probably expect too much. The new SQ5 has actually grown on me a lot and the cogs have already started turning on "Next Car Thoughts" :)

Exhaust tips on the SQ5 seem to stay extremely clean ..... my S3 was awful for it!! So much exhaust soot and a real B*****d to get it off

Good to know about the 40K Gearbox oil change ..... I am just under that now, but it wont be long until I hit that.

I dont think I have posted a pic yet?!?!?! Will dig one out :)

Speak to @ABYSS from DTUK as a TCU+ tune will address the lag in gear changes. I have one on my Q5

Reactions: paul wev and Sandra
Speak to @ABYSS from DTUK as a TCU+ tune will address the lag in gear changes. I have one on my Q5

....and will that negatively affect the MPG? Its when i initially pull off ..... and that time between foot on pedal .... and actually pulling away! I have been caught out a few times at roundabouts because of this ....

On the Gearbox Oil Change ...... what should I expect to pay for that?

On the Gearbox Oil Change ...... what should I expect to pay for that?

I'll ask the guy how much when I pick mine up tomorrow. Your SQ5 looks great in black,

Great that you are enjoying the car, I had a 2017 VW Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TDI 150Ps, and although it is a lovely looking car, incredible standard spec, I missed the power as I usually have fast VW's, but need a bigger car for the family.

I'm also considering a DTUK tuning box too. You can install / remove these yourself, so if you found it wasnt for you, you could always sell it onto someone without much of a loss.

Reactions: NevMan, paul wev and Sandra
Thanks ....I almost went for Sepang .......but the all black won in the end!!

Hmmmmmmm ....... this tuning box sounds tempting :) I will commence research !!

That would be awesome if you could ask the question then I can benchmark in my area.

Reactions: 45bvtc and NevMan
I'll ask the guy how much when I pick mine up tomorrow. Your SQ5 looks great in black,

Great that you are enjoying the car, I had a 2017 VW Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TDI 150Ps, and although it is a lovely looking car, incredible standard spec, I missed the power as I usually have fast VW's, but need a bigger car for the family.

I'm also considering a DTUK tuning box too. You can install / remove these yourself, so if you found it wasnt for you, you could always sell it onto someone without much of a loss.

Took my DTUK box off recently when car went into Audi. Really noticed and missed it. It was plugged back in ASAP.

What I was talking about above was the TCU+ which you plug into OBD port and it resets DSG and gives much slicker changes So that and tuning box, and some also go pedal box is great

That would be awesome if you could ask the question then I can benchmark in my area.

Definitely worth speaking to DTUK. Andrew is on this forum as @ABYSS

....and will that negatively affect the MPG? Its when i initially pull off ..... and that time between foot on pedal .... and actually pulling away! I have been caught out a few times at roundabouts because of this ....

Not that I have noticed in my Q5.
Mine has gone from 252bhp to a little over 300, but SQ5 gets a bigger number

I have ZERO hesitation issues and mega clean 4 x exhaust pipes...

A Sepang SQ5 , now there's a thought...
7072.gif

BIG BLUEY lunch 2

I know what you mean, and does make cleaning easier without any tips on show. Mrs has Mini JCW, so I am kept busy keeping those clean.
That said, I do like a car with a nice set of pipes (exhaust) on show :tearsofjoy:

View attachment 164529
.............great tip for cleaning these off Detailing world. Get a cheap cone shape nylon toilet brush, cut the handel down & fit it into the ''chuck '' of an electric drill & with a load of metal polish job done.

Reactions: NevMan and paul wev