About to buy an A3 2.0 TDI

Max Ruddock

Reaction score
Hi guys - very first post here as a new prospective Audi A3 owner!

Off to look (and potentially buy) a 2004 Audi A3 2.0 TDi Sport tomorrow. The car has done 97k miles, has full service history and cam belt and water pump changed. Looks good inside/out.

Changing from a 07 Mini Cooper 1.6. Great car, but a wee bit too small. Only had it 6 months and in that time I've had to have the O2 sensors replaced, cat replaced, thermostat replaced, sunroof rails cleaned etc. Probably about £1200 spent all in all. As much as I love the car, it just doesn't seem amazingly reliable albeit with my MINI mechanic telling me it's in great condition.

Couple of questions for you, I know it's subjective.. but what should I really be looking for when looking at the new car? I know diesel engines can go on forever, but just slightly put off due to spending £1200 on a car that I've had less than a year!

Also, MPG wise on the 140 2.0 TDi? Seems to vary a bit between people (obviously), but looking at trying to get a constant 50+ to beat off the MINI

I get up to 70mpg on motorway journeys and around 42 on a normal day. 2.0 2004 tdi. Mines due a gearbox rebuild now though as it has a whine when coasting in fifth, that's the only money I've had to spend so far

Hi...

I've got the 2.0tdi 2004 SE.. Love the car, however i have spent quite a lot in 10 months of owning it.

But i dont regret it.

I get up to 70mpg on motorway journeys and around 42 on a normal day. 2.0 2004 tdi. Mines due a gearbox rebuild now though as it has a whine when coasting in fifth, that's the only money I've had to spend so far

70mpg - that's impressive!!

Hi...

I've got the 2.0tdi 2004 SE.. Love the car, however i have spent quite a lot in 10 months of owning it.

But i dont regret it.

How much is a lot mate? I know it's luck of the draw but would hope to have a few trouble free months!

70mpg is impressive lol we have 2 and 52mpg is about average, but we use the torque haha, mine has a brand new engine in it and ive only put 350 miles on it so far but its getting stronger and using less fuel gradually, so by a few thousand i hope it will reach back up to 52mpg, getting about 40mpg atm

70mpg - that's impressive!!

How much is a lot mate? I know it's luck of the draw but would hope to have a few trouble free months!

Ive spent around £1.3k on top of £4.2 purchase price.. some of those parts are not necesarry like tinted windows and new alloys etc... but with any used car you will get some problems.

Also i get 62MPG motorway and 44 town, driving like an absolute tool aswell..

Mine averages over 60mpg. The engine is nicely loosened up after 130k miles. That said it has been an expensive year: big service, second cam belt/water pump replacement plus doing all the bushes, but I spent nothing last year. Whilst at this age the depreciation is very little things will wear out.

Do check the threads about porous heads to make sure it has either been replaced or your engine is not prone to this problem.

Enjoy the car.

Just to let you all know.. I got the car!

Can't believe how nice it is to drive.. So smooth compared to my old MINI!

Only problem I have, the clutch pedal needs to be pressed basically an inch or so above the floor to change gear. Managed to get me some discount on the price, but usually thought that the clutch would be high when it's worn out... Not low?

Selling mine pal. Brilliant car and 50mpg round town 55-60mog on motorway all the time

40mpg here, same engine.

You might want to look for leaking engine coolant (cylinder head can be cracked on earlier models) and rough idling (fuel injectors tend to start failing sometimes, at least this happened to me).