AAARGHHH, fuel leak issue

hamlynn36

Reaction score
Hello peeps, I'm a bit stuck as Mrs Me has just text to say there is petrol leaking out of our 2000 a3 quattro. I am stuck cuase I am 3 hours away and wont be home until friday. We filled the car up yesterday and she noticed the leak this morning both by smell and sight of fuel on the drive and where she had driven. First thoughts were 'overflow' of some sort. But she had driven 20 _ 30 miles so it wasnt full but still leaking. Its coming from o/s rear by the seems, and she thinks its only when its running. Pulling hair out with worry so any assistance appreciated. Ta, gareth

The fuel filter is more or less where you suspect the fuel leak is... it could be a simple replacement of the fuel filter assuming its damaged in some way but it uses push on fittings and its not unusual for these to et damaged..

<tuffty/>

Thanks tuffty, useful to know. At least I can do bit of research before going home. I havent heard of a fuel filt

E being oocated that far back before. Apologies for spelling. New tablet for xmas. Not user error!

Hate to bump an old thread, but my car had the exact same issue today.

I filled up the car yesterday, then drove to work today, then out to a clients. Whilst at the clients someone notified me that there was a pool of petrol under my car. I really doubt it's overflow as I stopped as soon as the petrol pump clicked the first time, and I had driven ~50km since filling it up.

The petrol seems to be coming from exactly where the fuel filter is, but I just got the car up on the hoist and now it isn't leaking anymore! How bizarre!

The clips seem to be on all the way, is it anything else I could look for? Is it worth unclipping the fuel filter and then clipping it back on?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, otherwise I might take it to a mechanic

I've had this before, wouldn't leak all the time, normally when first started. It turned out to be a simple jubilee clip on the fuel filter hose had rusted through and wasn't clamping the hose enough.

Thanks for the reply, I only have one jubilee clip which holds the filter in place. The two hoses have plastic connectors onto the end of the fuel filter, not jubilee clips