Aaaaaarrrrrggghhhh gearbox probs?? Help!!

Bigandbald

Reaction score
Hi,

just driving about, not hard at all. Come to the lights, first gear all good, second gear........erm.....second gear!!!!!

ok so no second gear!! I can put in second and with my foot off the clutch and start it and nothing happens?????

Any idea wtf is going on chaps???

Potentially the selector fork... common issue but gearbox out and strip for a repair...

<tuffty/>

Just tryed to adjust the linkage and can't get 5th & 6th now.

whats involved in rebuilding the forks???

they are riveted to the shaft and the rivets break... not sure of the procedure but most replace with them with bolts

<tuffty/>

can you get 2nd after your adjustment?

Typically, with linkage alignment, if you can get 1st but not second, you'd also struggle for 4nd and 6th, if you'd lost 5th and 6th, you'd almost certainly still have 1st and 2nd.

If that isn't the case, it's sounding horribly like forks :(

shall i just get a new box?? plenty of them on ebay?

also does it need to be a specific code?? on the sticker in the boot floor it says AMK FGT FHB which one is the gearbox code?? or can i just get any old 6 speed quattro box from s3 or tt?????

Had this happen to me couple of weeks ago http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-forum-8l-chassis/198194-gerbox-woes.html

Rebuild costs for the box were £200 to fix the selector issue of £600+ for full rebuild.

I went for the second hand low mileage box off ebay route got one for under £300 delivered and took the opportunity to put a new clutch ad DMF too so £1100 later am back on the road,

Do you want me to come round tomorrow and check the linkage for you?

Can you select by using the gearbox selector on it's own rather than with the lever?

jardo, you are a top man for offering! The car is with a mate if mine at the mo, he is going to have a look at it tomorrow and let me know what he thinks. To be fair I think the selector fork is screwed so unless he can magically fix it tomorrow then I'll be ordering a box from eBay.
not what I had planned for this week but the synchro shave gone between second and third anyway so it's kinda forced me into sorting it out to be fair.
and the same as vrbob, once I have ordered the box it's just fingers crossed to make sure all is ok when it gets installed!!!!

Reactions: 16Klappe
Forgive me if I'm wrong here... But the 8P s3 gearbox looks remarkably similar to ours.. I'm sure I read somewhere that it can be fitted.. Anyone know this for sure? I've seen a low mileage one that looks pretty good!!

Reactions: Westy
Ok so the selector fork doesn't select 1st or 2nd manually with linkage disconnected, so that means a box swop out!!

ive found another one so will pop and pick it up on Saturday morning and whack it in the car next week!!! Fingers crossed!!!