A80TDI wonders side to side...

AntonA4TDI

Reaction score
Website
www.eattherich.co.uk
Hey guys,

Just bought a Audi 80TDI SE, really nice car apart from big problem with it....

When accelerating, it pulls to the right and when I take the foot op gas pedal to engine brake it starts pulling back to the left...When in neutral this does not occur and also under braking it stops in a straight line. So on motorways and straight roads in just wonders side to side looks like I'm driving [censored] or something!

Iv took it to a local garage and the mechanic couldn't find any bad bushes or ball joints on suspension and said its probably the differential. Took it to a tranny builder, he took it out he said its not diff as it pulls to one side too smoothly and this shouldn't even occur in a straight line anyway.

I had a look and cannot find any signs of accidnt damage it has got the spare missing though so this may indicate someone hitting something hard enough to break the alloy which could have damaged suspension.

Anyway I'm just posting to see if anyone has experienced such problems or similar ones or any fresh ideas! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Thanks guys.
Anton.

I have had the same problem on a 1991 audi 80 sport. It may sound silly but have you had the front camber checked. This was the cause on my audi from bumping up and down curbs.
Hope that helps.

Yes it was really hard work. Would really advise a 4 wheel camber check which will also check the tracking. A sign that it could be the camber is that the tyres are wearing badly on the inner or outer side only. If you have the computer alignment done it will also tell you if the front wheels are running in line with the rear.
THE BEST £45 I EVER SPENT!!!!!!

I'm in USA so I am not familiar with your model specifically. If your car is front-drive check your motor and tranny mounts. One or two bad mounts could let your engine/tranny shift on acc or decc.
Good luck.