A7 TDI 242 - Tiptronic/S Tronic?

Dipesh

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm looking at a few lovely A7's and hoping you could give me a bit of advice.

I've noticed that the 242 TDI cars are coming in both Tip tronic and also S Tronic gearboxes.

The car that I've seen is a Tip and is pretty much perfect spec and price, if I go for this, will I regret not getting an S Tronic? Is there that much difference? From what I have read the tip is the stronger and lower maintenance option. It seems bit strange that in this same year (2013) the 201 cars have the s Tronic box but the 242 doesn't.

Please offer your thoughts! Thank you

My understanding is that the early tdi 242 cars came with tip tronic and then later ones came with s tronic

A7 3.0tdi 272 Black Edition Mythos Black Tech pack

My 63 plate 245 A7 TDi has the S Tronic box

Im sure all 245 bhp A7s have the S Tronic, tip Tronic only in the BiTdi

No I also thought this but there are one early cars with tip tronic

A7 3.0tdi 272 Black Edition Mythos Black Tech pack

Thanks guys. This must be an early car.

I can't seem to find any negative feedback on the tip tronic so will be going to test it today and hopefully buy it!

yep, I had a 2013 245ps TDI with Tiptronic. Tons of torque and zero maintenance as it is supposed to be "sealed", whereas the s-tronic needs oil change at 38k or there abouts. I had no problems with the 245 tiptronic. Very smooth and responsive. Pulled away quicker than my 55 TFSI I have now.

As I understand it it’s only the bitdi 315/320 bhp cars that have an 8 speed zf torque converter autobox as already said, sometimes called a tiptronic, I believe early tdis had a multitronic (I think!!) then everything else was 7 speed S tronic - anything advertised as tiptronic (no S) that isn’t a biturbo is probably a typo.
Best googling to make sure - I’m not 100% I’m correct on the early cars - as from memory the multitronic on older A6’s wasn’t a great gearbox.
Edited to add the multitronic was a cvt - belt drive - avoid. They break!

As I understand it it’s only the bitdi 315/320 bhp cars that have an 8 speed zf torque converter autobox as already said, sometimes called a tiptronic, I believe early tdis had a multitronic (I think!!) then everything else was 7 speed S tronic - anything advertised as tiptronic (no S) that isn’t a biturbo is probably a typo.
Best googling to make sure - I’m not 100% I’m correct on the early cars - as from memory the multitronic on older A6’s wasn’t a great gearbox.
Edited to add the multitronic was a cvt - belt drive - avoid. They break!
no, some early TDI's S-line had Tiptronic. I had one in a 3.0 245PS.

I stand corrected - I thought apart from the early low power cvt multitronics it was either S Tronic 7 speed or ZF 8 speed :icon thumright:

Before a certain age, 2015 but I may be wrong, it was all multitronic (with tiptronic paddle shift). After 2015 roughly, Audi went S tronic and left multitronic behind

yes you are wrong. Multitronic was on the 2-wheel drive A7's. I've created a new post with all early engines/power/gearboxes from 2012-2013.

Reactions: Bishop187
Sorry, for dragging this thread, back to the forefront. I'm in the same boat as the OP. Not as far as found a car worth seeing, but which GB to go for. Yes the STronic needs oil every 30k or so. But I'm more interested in the 'jerkyness' or it getting itself confused and being in-between gears, when asked for a gear to make a quick shot into traffic for example.

Is there anything like that which is apparent? My DSG TT does the jerky and the in-between gears plenty enough. Don't want the same in a very premium car too.

Cheers.