A7 dashboard rattle Audi UK

h1r4

Reaction score
Hi All,

Wondering where I stand with this;

Please see a quick summary from what I sent to Audi UK below;

Car has been in 3 time for door card rattles and dad rattles. Have showed technician and service people the problem and it's still not resolved. Fed up of taking the car now, have given them three chances to fix it. Where do I stand? The dashboard rattle has seen to have gotten worse.

I attached all the paperwork to the email of all the work carried out and the videos of the rattling. (I'll link it below, let me know what you think)

In your guys opinion where do you think I stand with Audi UK and the dealership? I mean the cars only 3 months old with 3k miles on it and it rattles like it's been driven over 200k miles.

Before repair dash;

Doorcard driver side;

20mins after picking the car up ;

Pt2 of the above;

Thanks

Exactly the same as mine on the dash. I thought mine was a HUD rattle and Audi agreed eventually. Was with Audi for 3 weeks, changed the whole HUD unit, and for some unknown reason that required a steering column change. You'd cry if I told you what this cost (not to me btw, under warranty). Anyway a few days later it started again, not quite as bad though. I just live with it now - I don't want to go through all that again - screen out etc. I did get some free puddle lights as compo though lol

Had similar issues when I purchased my S7. (2016)

Turned out to be the center speaker grill cover, and was subject to a TSB fix. Grill was replaced and some felt tape applied to the mounting pins. Rattle hasn’t been back since.

Does your rattle go away if you hold onto the grill cover whilst drive no?

My door card rattled and it turned out to be the fibre-optic lightpipe for the extended LED lights. The rigid pipe was rattling inside the plastic trim. Whol ebit was replaced and the rattle went away.

In total the car rattles in 5 different places.

Passenger door card front, Driver front only. (Been into Audi 3 times for the above). It rattles from the speaker grill also, Audi looked into it and said it was repaired. Still rattles (3 times for this aswell)

Dashboard rattles even when you hold down the speaker grill so it's not that. (Been into Audi last week for the dashboard)

They've taken apart the whole dash last week and said it was the airduct causing the rattle. But it still rattles so I really don't know.

There are new rattles again yesterday the rear passenger door card now.

So all together 5 rattles I know about and Audi will know about about the 5th one aswell. I had a call from the service manager who got my email with the issues they've escalated it to Audi UK and Audi tech. Aswell as my emailing Audi UK. He's escalated it as that's the only place they could hear rattles coming from and they've done everything they can to fix it. I can't fault their customer service and them trying their best, it's just such a shame that it rattles so badly and it's very noticeable!

I occasionally get a rattle coming from the HUD when I've started the car and its cold.

Well the car is in Audi again. They couldn't fix the dashboard rattle. Audi UK are aware of the issue. Apparently 3 other A7 have had this issue and they replaced the air duct on those.

But mine it didn't work! Anyone who has a new A7 you may have the same rattle as me.

One a side note they gave me S5 for two days now I want one really badly. Unfortunately they sold that one and I'm stuck with a A5 cabriolet till my car is fixed

I have the same ****** rattle! It's not as bad as yours but is VERY noticeable left of the centre console, it comes and goes.

Well I got my car back on Friday. And on my commute to work it rattled, which I recorded and sent to the dealer & Audi finance (they are involved now).

I took the car to the dealer after work today and the car didn't rattle at all when I took the guy out to show him.

I'm not sure what to do now. Really really disappointed with Audi as a whole tbh. Audi UK told me to talk to Audi finance, Audi Fiannce won't talk to me until the dealer confirms the rattle is still there. The head of business is now busy for a couple of weeks he won't come. I asked him to come to where I live not just a test drive around where the dealer is as I believe that's not an accurate representation of the roads where I am.

The dealer are saying maybe my expectations are too high?
But I never had this issue with my A4 so why would I expect less when a A7 is a higher tier car...
They are also saying that if the car does not replicate it on the roads they used when they had it in the first two times then it means that it's not a major issue?, but I've shown video evidence of it rattling this morning. Which is bizarre to me as that's my normal commute to work...

I think Audi as a whole have been taking the p*ss imo.

I think after the emails and phone calls I've had today with Audi, this will be my last ever Audi, all I get is sorry and it shouldn't be like that, but no one seems to do anything about it. I even told the dealer I don't ever want another Audi after this, he was like oh okay I'm sorry you feel that way. Not anything of no we'll try to make this right, we want to keep you as a valued customer. I've bought 3 cars from this dealer and it seems that I'm not a valued customer to them...

Inter sting to read this. Our new A6 has a rattle that seems to come from the central dash speak near the windscreen but when you hold it the rattle remains. Can’t figure out what’s causing it. Sound the same?

My dash speaker has rattled since the day I got it, its mostly down to the music I listen to. I tried put tape around the trim (by removing the speaker grill) but it comes from where the actual speaker is sat and theres literally no way to get the speaker out because of how its mounted in.

The other rattle from the centre dash is the air vents apparently.

Does anyone know if this dash rattle issue on the Audi A7 4KA has been resolved by Audi? I have one that just started to rattle after ~13,500 miles.

My door card rattled and it turned out to be the fibre-optic lightpipe for the extended LED lights. The rigid pipe was rattling inside the plastic trim. Whol ebit was replaced and the rattle went away.

Hi Derboy, I registered yesterday just for your reply on the thread regarding door card rattling, I am having the same issue and want to get insight from you. Below is the anatomy of light components, can you help to indicate which are the parts supposed to be replaced, if it is 10 and 11,local dealer told me apart from light components, door panel is also needed to be replaced.

Hi Derboy, I registered yesterday just for your reply on the thread regarding door card rattling, I am having the same issue and want to get insight from you. Below is the anatomy of light components, can you help to indicate which are the parts supposed to be replaced, if it is 10 and 11,local dealer told me apart from light components, door panel is also needed to be replaced.
View attachment 209414

No 12 in your diagram.

No 12 in your diagram.
Thanks. It seems to me this is a common issue in new a6 and a7. We tried with fitting buffer material in component 13, hoping it could be helpful to eliminate friction between pipe and socket.

Well a couple of months after buying my 2018 A7 from sytner got an very annoying rattle coming from behind the dashboard on the passenger side.

Been in today with sytner Leicester for some little other issues (pre sense randomly going off) and have been told they won't fix rattle under warranty as it's older than 6 months and I would have to pay to get it investigated

No 12 in your diagram.

Hi Buddy,after replacing the new component, it still rattles.
I have a doubt, does the rattling sound come by friction between the optic fiber and black socket?
I circled the two components which I believe are the source of rattling, the pipe itself is pretty crisp and rigid and I put an effort in twisting them, which really rattles in high pitch.
Now I am considering replace the whole door panel to sort out the issue because for part 10, it comes with the whole part.
Can you please indicate if the annoying sound come from them?

This style of interior whilst looking great seems to be a nightmare for rattles. My wifes A6 was bad and part of the reason we only had it 20 months. Ive also been in an SQ8 recently and that had 2 similar rattles (silver trim around instrument cluster and from central vents).
I would of thought these would of been fixed at factory by now but this is a brand new SQ8 (one of the first petrol ones in UK).

Hi Buddy,after replacing the new component, it still rattles.
I have a doubt, does the rattling sound come by friction between the optic fiber and black socket?
I circled the two components which I believe are the source of rattling, the pipe itself is pretty crisp and rigid and I put an effort in twisting them, which really rattles in high pitch.
Now I am considering replace the whole door panel to sort out the issue because for part 10, it comes with the whole part.
Can you please indicate if the annoying sound come from them?

View attachment 213064

It was the actual clear "light-pipe" that was rattling inside the door frame rather than the LED module itself.

I have to say, nothing gets on my nerves more than a dashboard/interior rattle.
Hope you guys get it sorted, but I doubt Audi even think it’s an issue.

Exactly the same as mine on the dash. I thought mine was a HUD rattle and Audi agreed eventually. Was with Audi for 3 weeks, changed the whole HUD unit, and for some unknown reason that required a steering column change. You'd cry if I told you what this cost (not to me btw, under warranty). Anyway a few days later it started again, not quite as bad though. I just live with it now - I don't want to go through all that again - screen out etc. I did get some free puddle lights as compo though lol
Hi there! Did this ever get resolved. I have had mine in and out of Audi's dealership workshops and now it has more rattles than ever. Did yours rattle like this: ?