1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dismiss Notice

A7 BiTDI results (313hp model) - Dyno results

bobby singh Sep 13, 2020

1. bobby singh

bobby singh BSR Gold Supporter VCDS Map User

I thought I’d share some recent dyno results from my tuning recently
    Car is a A7 BiTDI 313hp model

Spec:
    Wagner intercooler
    DPF gut
    EGR off
    Fuel sensor upgrade
    Air box modification
    Diesel only
    Smokefree

First dyno’ed at Surrey Rolling Road - Made 406/820nm:

Customer then took it for another power run at a different place to confirm the figure and the results:

[​IMG]

After this he again went to Surrey Rolling Road on a cooler day double (or triple) check

[​IMG]

Goes to show how varied the dyno results are, but more importantly why I stick with Surrey Rolling Road as a baseline. The fuel being consumed is more inline with approx 410hp.

One thing I've noted these BiTDI's have very little air flow - for example they seem to vary between 1100kg/h to 1275kg/h
    A single hybrid 3.0TDI makes 1400kg/h to 1450kg/h (depending on the spec) in comparsion. Having said that the BiTDI is nice drive with a nice spread of torque.

Cheers
    Bobby

blackwood, V6_Man and Bishop187 like this.
  2. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

3. M8NGN

M8NGN Registered User

Quality post Bobby, I was happy with my recently 'stage 1' tuned a6 at 375bhp and 760nm. Now I may have to follow suit on this setup. Good to know the outcome and what's required.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

bobby singh likes this.
  4. desertstorm

desertstorm Moderator Staff Member Moderator VCDS Map User

Great results Bobby. That Dastek dyno printout doesn't look right at all. Way too smooth lines looks like the outputs you get from virtual dyno when you apply a lot of smoothing. It averages all the data points and makes the best fit and usually ends up with bigger numbers. The thing that's impressive with the Bi-TDI is the area under the curve, picks up early and holds on well to high RPM. Having the power right to the top end also helps as you can hold onto the gears.

blackwood, V6_Man and bobby singh like this.
  5. bobby singh

Hi Karl you are right the curves look like my kids done them with paint. If Iever get a opportunity to measure the emp on these I think the results will be very interesting, I believe its the reason why these BiTDI's get so hot the air is just not getting out quick enough.
    This car already had 900egt so I really wonder why people still believe you can get 450hp from them.

Cheers
    Bobby

6. desertstorm

desertstorm Moderator Staff Member Moderator VCDS Map User

7. Gazwould

Gazwould Registered User

You can get 450 hp from them , just stick it on a Dastek dyno :welcoming:

8. texashighways

texashighways New Member

Bobby, have you tried a CNC ported head on a Bitdi? I was thinking about putting one on my next build. I do this on Cummins builds in the USA but I have no experience with the BItdi since they are not readily available in the states so I am Importing one from Germany.

9. bobby singh

I would say its easier to add more boost than risk ruining swirl by porting

10. texashighways

texashighways New Member

Oh okay, thank you. Do you have any idea where I can find parts to convert mine to CP3?

11. bobby singh

No CP3 kit for this engine in fact all gen 2 v6 engines have pump at the back with turbo on top - so space is also most zero.
    I do have a uprated CP4 in stock which has coated parts internally and can flow 500hp plus, its not direct fit but I have installed it on a gen 2 v6 with success - lets say 95% pnp

12. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

13. texashighways

texashighways New Member

we did a high rpm test at full power....one head with almost no swirl, one ported to be maximum swirl with equal flow.....both at roughly 4500rpm. almost no repeatable difference in power. It is my opinion that swirl is for low rpm emissions compliance and plays an important role on part load low throttle/low rpm emissions but very little to do with full tilt power. We are over 3,000hp on 6.7l cummins which should correlate to easily 800hp on the bitdi, if the block will contain it. If you have an extra set of heads laying around, I would love to throw a set on the 5 axis cnc and get some feedback from a fully tuned and built engine with ported heads.

14. bobby singh

On UK roads and generally in europe a smokey car is just not accepted. Therefore, the swirl is very important to keep the smoke element down - hence why I rather use more boost than risk swirl.
    Im using a EFR/s300 vnt unit works really well for spool and peak power with 1:1 boost/Exhaust manifold pressure.
    These BiTDI's I suspect have very high emp therefore just generate heat rather power after a certain point.

If you want big power then use a CCWA as you can mount a CP3 and decent size turbo

Cheers
    Bobby

Horia likes this.
  15. texashighways

texashighways New Member

Thank you very much. I have gone to EFR6258 on the N57 I drive daily and will most likely do an EFR on the Bitdi as well. I've found that if the head is ported to have a smaller cross section for a given flow and cams are right, that higher hp does not have to be all smoke. Any idea on companies for standalone ECU? SCS delta has had my harness for over a year and I can't get a call back. We run bosch 25.1 on our dyno cell and rail but the 15.2 is a bit pricey for just a play car.

16. bobby singh

Stock ECU is a EDC17 CP44 and does all the things you could want to do

17. texashighways

texashighways New Member

I'm hoping to put it in this car and I was just wondering if tuners with experience on the EDC17 CP44 can get it to run without the Audi wrapped around the engine and ecu :)

Attached Files:

18. texashighways

texashighways New Member

Like I said, we can't even get the fun diesel engines like Bitdi or M50d due to emissions, so not many people in the states have any experience with them

19. bobby singh