A6 xenons.

Viking

****** Viking...
Reaction score
Having a scout about at various options for a different car and I've seen an A6 or two which are fairly well specced up and reasonably cheap. But there's something bugging me. Has this car got xenons, because the advert says it has. To me they look like halogens....
audi.jpg

That's what I thought. I've seen another one which claims to have "Xenon Plus" headlights and the seller also states it has headlight washers, and it clearly doesn't. I'm glad it's not just me then.

Hi Viking,With the headlights switched on, it isn't as easy to compare the two types of lamp assemblies as it is when they are off, but by the area of the lens that is illuminated and the colour temperature of the light pretty much identical to the warmish white fogs, I'd say they were halogens as well. Xenons would be a noticeably colder, bluer temperature with a smaller area of lens lit by the projector. The dipped, outer beam Xenon unit is not fitted with a reflector, and is distinguished by the big lump of almost hemispherical shaped glass that is the lens, where the halogen unit has the lamp in full view in front of the old-school silvered reflector. What could guide you, assuming the car to be unmodified from the delivery specs, would be to check the page in the handbook that lists the vehicle options and equipment, the one with the VIN and engine number on it, where you will find printed dozens of 3 alphanumeric codes. Each decodes to a particular item. If it lists 8BF, the car left the factory with halogen headlights for driving on the left. If so, haggle the price down, because the difference in illumination between xenons and halogens isn't that huge unless you are blasting through the countryside at night at 120mph, which of course you can do on your motorways if the moon is right.oz.

The other one I was looking at which was listed as xenons wasn't either. I queried it by email and he'd uploaded the wrong pics, which has now been sorted.

Easy check to see if it has halogens, does it have the beam height adjuster switch on the dash next to light switch. If yes then it is halogen, if no it is Xenon. Also on a facelift model (2009 on) cars with Xenons have the LED DRLs under the headlight. Those with halogens have the DRL incorporated into the main beam light. Finally all facelift cars have the headlight washer cut outs in the bumper regardless of whether they are fitted and all cars with Xenons from the factory (standard on S-Line optional on SE) have them as standard

I'm simply looking at adverts and the pictures/descriptions given. Looking at the dash in detail isn't an option really. Certainly not when the car I'm looking at is some 200 miles away. Nice to get there and find the seller hasn't listed it correctly... However, is that correct, that S Line facelifts have xenons as standard?

I'm simply looking at adverts and the pictures/descriptions given. Looking at the dash in detail isn't an option really. Certainly not when the car I'm looking at is some 200 miles away. Nice to get there and find the seller hasn't listed it correctly... However, is that correct, that S Line facelifts have xenons as standard?
Yes all Facelift A6 S-Lines (and Le Mans/Special Edition) had Xenon as standard