A6 Wont Start! please someone help! :(

phatsam

Reaction score
Hi there,

Please someone help, I've been having a really bad time with my Audi!

Its a 58 plate A6 S-Line 2.0 TDI BRE 138bhp Multitronic

Problems started 2 weeks ago with an engine management light coming on. Car still drove as normal but just incase I returned home, parked up and left it until a friend could bring over his laptop to fault code it.

The fault code was a P0101 MAF.

So we cleared the code and I carried on driving the car which seemed fine. To try and prevent the fault coming back I removed the air box, MAF and charge pipe and inspected. All seemed fine :I So I cleaned the charge pipe and stuck on a new filter for good measure. I also removed the Throttle body, EGR and inlet manifold and removed all the soot and carbon build up.

A few days later I was driving along and the glow plug light started flashing for 30 seconds, during the 30 seconds the car went into limp mode. After the 30 seconds the light went out and the car drove as normal. Not wanting to damage the car and only being 30 seconds from home I decided to park it up and leave it until the next day.

The next day I drove the car and it seemed fine. Wanting to rule things out, I decided to inspect for a boost leak. So i inspected and removed all the boost pipes including the intercooler, cleaned and reinstalled.

The next day a fuel filter i'd ordered was delivered so I decided to fit that as well. The fuel in the old filter was black, my guess is the injectors seals are leaking.

The car seemed to run fine, but then the Diesel particulate filter light came on after 10 mins of running. I had only run into town and back and didn't use the car again that day.

The next day I switched the car on and there was no DPF light so I set off for sainsburys, on the way there, around half a mile later, the glow plug light started flashing at traffic lights, I turned the car off and back on and the glow plug light was off. 30 seconds later the light was back on again and was in limp. After 30 seconds the light went out but the car still didn't drive quite right so i proceeded to Sainsbury (it's only 5 mins down the road) got there fine.

Leaving Sainsbury's, the glow plug light started flashing and went into limp with very little power. I managed to get to some traffic lights and it died and would not restart. Called a mate to tow me to his, which was literally around the corner.

Since being there we Fault coded it with MAF, EGR, DPF and Turbo Underboost. We've managed to work out that the car will run if the pipe going from the EGR cooler to the EGR valve is cracked open at the flange, which billows out exhaust smoke. Finding this we thought the EGR was dead, so put a new one on but there is no change. It's not bringing up any codes. We also checked that the cooler to EGR pipe wasn't blocked, which it wasn't.

I'm now thinking the DPF is totally blocked causing there to be massive back pressure thus preventing the engine from running???

Has anyone got any ideas? please please please before I burn it!!

Last edited:
Nope, the MAF is fine, but thanks for your input.

I have found the issue though. The EGR valve failed and the DPF was completely blocked, preventing anything getting through the exhaust.

I have read that if part of the system fails, like the EGR, it prevents the car regenerating the DPF. This would make sense as to why it failed.