A6 V6tdi oil leak!

Jason

Reaction score
Website
www.moulin-lacombe.com
Has anybody any experience with oil leaks on the 2.5 V6 tdi?

Our A6 V6tdi (1998) leaks oil since we bought it due to poor servicing by the previous owner and non replacement of the engine breather filter.

This particular engine is well known for engine block pressure and with the breather blocking block pressure builds up until something blows (oil seals).

I have already changed breather filter,oil filter housing and seals,rocker cover gaskets,sump gasket and still she leaks all though minimum it's still enough to be embarrassing if we are invited to friends who have a nice new paved drive!!!

I reckon that the oil has to be coming out of the crank shaft seal and with a cam belt change coming up in the near future would like to change at the same time.

Any one had this problem & cured it?

Only bit of oil i found on mine was at the intercooler pipe when i took the front end off, minimal, cleaned it all up and now waiting to see what happens from there but coiuldnt find any cracks....

is the underpan on and its leaking over that? or is it around the pan?

Ever tried sticking your head in there?
Not a lot of room is there!

It's minimum leakage which seems to be running down the block from the crank-shaft seal but could also be coming from the intermediate sump gasket, you can't really see a lot because of the alternator,starter and everything else that's in the way!!

Without the underpan off it's not too bad but when you put it back on again over time it all accumulates in the pan and drips out all over the place!!

Both rocker cover gaskets leaked when I first got the car (35K miles)so had them replaced under warrenty. Apart from that I can't help, I see that you have already changed them anyway.

Wow! NOT FOR THE FAINT HEARTED!

Changed cam belt,water pump & tensioners this week end ( made a tool to block both cams from turning) every thing was going tip top,changed oil seal on crank shaft at the same time in the hope of curing oil leak,sweet as, came to put new cam belt back,pulleys to find that the final hole where the tensioner screws into the block was threaded-NIGHTMARE!!!!!!!!

Managed to re-tap from 10mm to 12mm (1.25 thread) and then get a local turner to adapt tensioner mounting bolt from 10mm to 12mm -PHEW!

All back together,started first time and runs like a dream!!!!!!

I've got a 1998 A4 2.5 TDi, which leaked a fair bit of oil when I bought it. I had the rocker cover seals changed and a rubber bung about half way done one of the banks, and that's stopped all the oil leaks. A new radiator and expansion tanks stopped the water leaks too! Still at 177,000 miles on the clock now, you've gotta expect a few leaks I guess. The V6 2.5 is apparently known for leaky rocker cover seals.

My a4 2.5tdi quattro is also leaking from the rocker gaskets and radiator,glad to see its common on this engine and my car isnt a complete dog

mine leaks a small amount, nothing to get excited about though, ill take a closer look this weekend see where its coming from.

A lot better but Still leaking-One drop on the floor a night!!!

Given up! Have already changed oil filter housing,engine breather filter,rocker cover caskets,crank shaft oil seal,sump gasket......

have you checked the oil return feed for the turbo? there is a small rubber ring. this is where mine was leaking, new rubber gasket on and its fine now :)

I think I have just about checked everthing!!!
Will check turbo pipes but leak seams to be coming from front left hand side!!!!

can some one please tell me what is this engine breather filter and where it is also thanks... as im servicing my 2.5 a4 tonight and i will give it a clean too thanks

thanks a million im going out to do it now so will have a look and see is it a serviceible part or jst replace? time will tell i guess......