A6 handling

michael A

Reaction score
Hi All,

So I've had my A6 Quattro 3.0l TDI for almost 2 years now. It's the 245bhp model.

I've recently done a remap and brake disk upgrade. As much as I told myself that would be all I will do and then leave it I can't help but feel the handling could be much better and I'm sure there are ways to help.

It's the front end handling that I'm not convinced with. I find at high speed 90mph+ under braking it's very uneasy and when going into bends just feels abit boatish. I really don't want to spend thousands on suspension but wondered if anyone else had any tips or ideas to help the handling abit without spending thousands.im sure there has to be something.

Or is it just me been super picky and the A6 handles fine. If so please let me know too

Tend to agree with the above, they do feel big, but then again they are big cars. Watching this thread for any hints.

Reactions: michael A and Alistair D
I've got some Toyo ones on at moment. Mid range, got for winter as a grade A in wet. Cost me quite abit too to be honest I've had them on less than a week and do feel huge improvement but I think maybe something more can be done. Am I just been greedy. Is lowering springs going to be the best solution. Coilovers although too expensive i refuse to have them again on a road car. Had them in my Nova years ago and although great for handling horrid for daily driving.

If the suspension is in generally good order, then if you are running wide tyres, you might be experiencing tramlining as the tyres pick up
ruts in the road. The other point about big, heavy cars is that a slow in, fast out approach to corners where the vehicle is being pulled round under a wee bit of power is an effective options.
Banging on the brakes shortly before a corner will transfer weight onto the front axle. Powering through the corner (settled on the rear springs) is then rather difficult.

If the suspension is in generally good order, then if you are running wide tyres, you might be experiencing tramlining as the tyres pick up
ruts in the road. The other point about big, heavy cars is that a slow in, fast out approach to corners where the vehicle is being pulled round under a wee bit of power is an effective options.
Banging on the brakes shortly before a corner will transfer weight onto the front axle. Powering through the corner (settled on the rear springs) is then rather difficult.
I wonder whether a set of Koni FSD dampers might help?

Reactions: michael A
Tramlining not come across this before but how you describe it I defo do get that. I've got the smaller on 245/45 18. Would wheel size make any difference. Never been a fan of big wheels due to longer rotation but then again never really had to think about it with other cars.

I wonder whether a set of Koni FSD dampers might help?
Been looking into this abit. And looking at prices it seems reasonable I've seen these special active ones. Wondered if anyone might have come across these before as I'm tempted to get these on the front. Koni say after testing using front and rear the way they work it's no problem having just on 1 axle so I'm thinking of having these on front.

Those are the ones I was thinking of. You should talk to Koni UK first and then to some of the retailers. Check whether they agree with one another.

Many folks go straight for a lowering spring and damper package from a local "tuning" company and don't mind how hard the ride becomes.

For me, the ride quality and noise is all-important. Slow-in, fast out satisfies my needs for cornering prowess, as I often have passengers in the car.

When I first bought my A6 it handled perfectly - but over the past year I've noticed cornering can get a little sketchy at times. Very twitchy if pushed.

Two things to look into - first one being your tracking. This will help. Four wheel is what you need. Second is tyres - I haven't had experience with Toyo but I would suggest you buy a premium tyre that can handle the weight and size of the A6. Goodyear SuperSport or Michelin PS4. Avoid Continental as these tramline on the A6!
Also make sure your tyres are extra load rated - this can cause the "boatish" feeling as the tyre wall will compress whilst cornering.

Unsure on your A6 type - but my Black edition BiTdi is already low. I wouldn't want to lower any further otherwise I'll end up beaching on the roads around here! Suggest you look into tracking and tyre choice before messing around with expensive suspension parts.

When I first bought my A6 it handled perfectly - but over the past year I've noticed cornering can get a little sketchy at times. Very twitchy if pushed.

Two things to look into - first one being your tracking. This will help. Four wheel is what you need. Second is tyres - I haven't had experience with Toyo but I would suggest you buy a premium tyre that can handle the weight and size of the A6. Goodyear SuperSport or Michelin PS4. Avoid Continental as these tramline on the A6!
Also make sure your tyres are extra load rated - this can cause the "boatish" feeling as the tyre wall will compress whilst cornering.

Unsure on your A6 type - but my Black edition BiTdi is already low. I wouldn't want to lower any further otherwise I'll end up beaching on the roads around here! Suggest you look into tracking and tyre choice before messing around with expensive suspension parts.

This is good thanks. I was thinking tracking. I think I'll try that first. Spoke to garage this morning about fitting the dampers and was alot more than expected. I'll see if can get tracking done this week and let ya know

I fitted Eibach springs to my BiTDi and the difference is considerable. You’ll find my post on it.