A6 First service - £552 in and out in less than two hours!

Gjjenna

Reaction score
I’m an Audi man through and through, however, I can’t help but feeling fleeced when it comes to servicing, I want the best for my car like we all do, but I’m sure I could have carried this service out for a lot lot less! Yes we need the stamp for warranty and when we sell the vehicle on but how can the costs be justified!
This was the first service at 19,000 miles, oil, oil filter, pollen filter, so why £552?, what happened to the days when you were met by a greasy hand mechanic with no entourage of admin, sales assistance, department managers, experience managers, general managers etc etc.? I did get a cup of tea and a biscuit whilst I was waiting so maybe that was in the £552!

I was advised I could do a service plan which sounded better than the £552 for the one service, then I was told ‘oh no sir, we don’t do the service plan on long life service intervals’

Does anyone know of any other options/service plans/dealers etc. to get cars serviced without feeling like you’ve been taken advantage of?

I’m sure some will say - ‘you should have done your homework’ and you’d be right, but the funny thing is I had an Audi A4 before and felt fleeced then too, all I can say is I’m Audi through through so I suppose I must face up to the fact that if you can afford the car in the first place then you can absorb the running costs however much it hurts!!

Don’t get me wrong, some of these guys are great technicians and work for arguably one of the best prestige car manufacturers in the world, but even my technician winced when I parted with the cash!

Reactions: CHEZ
My service plan is for long interval servicing. If even states ‘it doesn’t matter how many miles you do in your Audi, your plan covers you for the next two services’

You can sign up online for it through Audi direct.

My service plan is for long interval servicing. If even states ‘it doesn’t matter how many miles you do in your Audi, your plan covers you for the next two services’

You can sign up online for it through Audi direct.
Many thanks for this, I was originally advised I could take the long service plan out from another garage, however had to use one of their other garages for the service, when I checked in for the service I was advised what I had been told was incorrect and that they would follow up and ‘re educate’

I will call Audi direct to see what the go is.

Would be interesting to see how they got to the price as it does seem high. One factor of course is where you live as that can have a massive impact on labour rates. I suspect the oil is what has really pushed it up. Audi (and many other manufacturers) charge by the 500ml andat a stupid price per 500ml despite it arriving in huge drums. One option others have taken is to supply their own oil (to the appropriate VW spec) bought from wherever it is cheapest and that has a big impact on the price. I always decline the pollen filter change as it is very easy to change yourself

My service plan., over three years, cost £9.56 a month. Now the car is over three years old the service plan, for two services over 15 months, is £26 a month. But it pays to research, get quotes from both an Audi dealership and an Audi independent as Audi price match. Also go to this link and it states their service plans are for fixed servicing, but I can't see why you couldn't swap https://www.audi.co.uk/owners-area/service-plans.html

Would be interesting to see how they got to the price as it does seem high. One factor of course is where you live as that can have a massive impact on labour rates. I suspect the oil is what has really pushed it up. Audi (and many other manufacturers) charge by the 500ml andat a stupid price per 500ml despite it arriving in huge drums. One option others have taken is to supply their own oil (to the appropriate VW spec) bought from wherever it is cheapest and that has a big impact on the price. I always decline the pollen filter change as it is very easy to change yourself
Thanks for your comments, you’re spot on about the oil £170 + Vat, the pollen filter was stupid money too - I will decline next time, if fact I will remove it from under the glove box myself and get the Dyson on it!

My service plan., over three years, cost £9.56 a month. Now the car is over three years old the service plan, for two services over 15 months, is £26 a month. But it pays to research, get quotes from both an Audi dealership and an Audi independent as Audi price match. Also go to this link and it states their service plans are for fixed servicing, but I can't see why you couldn't swap https://www.audi.co.uk/owners-area/service-plans.html
Thanks, I’ve signed up on the link for 2 services for just a bit more than I paid for one, I know I had the filter changed on my first service and that this is not included in either of the 2 future services, but as I’ve just had it changed so I will opt out next time. Thanks for the advise.

Reactions: cuke2u
Sounds extremely expensive, i just got my first service at my Audi dealer done and the total cost was €220.
I have a call into Audi Direct to understand why I was told I could not use the 2 service option - they have called me back with an update but have missed their call - will update once I hear back, can I ask what garage you got your service done at, also, is your car a 3litre?, thanks

That's a rip-off. I have my inspection service and oil change coming up with pollen filter change and its £450. The dealer group I use give a 10% discount just for asking.

main dealer stamp doesn't mean anything these days, you'll be lucky if they even changed anything, i've seen some of their work first hand and it leaves alot to be desired.

block exemption allows you to have your vehicle serviced at a vat registered garage which use genuine parts without affecting your warranty.

Reactions: scobie140
I have a call into Audi Direct to understand why I was told I could not use the 2 service option - they have called me back with an update but have missed their call - will update once I hear back, can I ask what garage you got your service done at, also, is your car a 3litre?, thanks
Its Audi Waterford in Ireland, its the 2L Saloon.

I have a 2l a6 and 11k miles first service due £300 for the oil service

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Had an email yesterday from my Audi dealer saying that Audi have recently launched an enhanced service plan which includes an oil service and an oil+inspection service for £468 or £19.50per month x 24. Claims it will save up to £300 and is eligible for both fixed and variable service plans