A6 C8 20" vs 21" ride quality / road noise?

hnm738

Reaction score
Hi, looking to upgrade our A4 B8 to an A6 45tfsi Sline. The A6 comes with adaptive dampers (not air suspension) and 20in wheels. There is only 1 package available in Australia which gets the matrix HD light, sunroof, B&O sounds and includes 21in wheels.

The A4 B8 has alot of road noise pretty average ride quality. Hoping to hear some opinion on ride quality and road noise if moving up to 21inch wheel.

thanks

I have 20" wheels on my A6 Avant C8. Road noise largely depends on the tyre brand as some are EXTREMLY noisy. After spending a small fortune on trying out various tyres, the quietest & comfiest tyres I found (and currently using) are the Vredestein Ultrac Vorti's...even better than the Michelin PS4S.

I have just posted something regarding 21 inch wheels. They are fitted to my A6 as standard which has air suspension. I have found them very comfortable on Continental silent sport 6 tires. I keep the pressure at 41 and I drive in dynamic most of the time but occasionally in comfort in London. All motorway work and A road is in dynamic and I have found them surprisingly good. In fact it would be nice to have a dynamic plus setting for just a little bit more firmness occasionally. I suspect without air suspension my opinion above is invalid.

i run 21's as well on my 22 s6. noise is good, comfort is totally fine, and ride quality is as good as anything else i've ever driven too. no issues with running 21's on these heavy cars.

These cars are light compared with an EV! Interesting article I saw at the weekend saying that EVs coming in for MOTs are having a much higher failure rate than ICE cars and the primary reason for failure is tyres, damage or wear. Seems that owners are not realising that heavy cars wear out tyres far more quickly than lighter ones. It is an issue the tyre industry is trying to address but whilst EVs may have zero tailpipe emissions they are causing much higher levels of tyre particle pollution which is also unhealthy